meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Hi Nocureheles,

aye, I'm really going to try for a kind of atmos/feeling in this map that creates a sense of permanent dread, especially at night.

I'm trying to create most, if not all of my objects to have interesting/sinister silhouettes, as these will be prominent on hillsides and when they are "skylined" etc, as it's best to play on every factor I can think of. So say if you're hiding behind some reeds in a swamp at night from some Bandits, then a lightening strike lights up a village up ahead on top a small rise- it'd be way better for these buildings to have all crooked and warped beams and aerials etc than if they were just normal so to speak as their outline can give so much character.

Also, once all the "building/modelling" has been done, then I can concentrate on things like scripts for night time to be a more serious proposition to go out in- make it more likely you're going to get killed from all sorts of various things.

I've got a few ideas about this, but would LOVE to hear any ideas this community has too...

Edited by meanmachine1

Fellow Stalkers..!

Here's another update in the form of a generic Cargo Container.

The plan is to have about 3-4 of these with different paint jobs for variation- which should be now more or less a quick job as this base one is done so it's simply a case of texture replacement.

Then, for each variation I plan to make Stalker modified containers with things like firing holes blow torched out from the side plating and welded on metal plating across the top edges so as to act as more defensive positions where you can take quite a good deal of shielding from bullets flying past whilst returning fire..!

As I say, I reckon 3-4 of each type should suffice and I've put a few more polys and textures into these as they are going to be scattered across the whole landscape quite a bit as the Stalkers have to make use of everything they can find so you'll be hiding in these a lot on stormy nights as roving groups of Bandits creep past outside in the rain... ;)

In the Stalker world, you can more or less think of these containers as equivalent to the houses and buildings, as they're all equally valued and are a good source of shelter (Think Emissions...).

Anyway, here's the link and there's another shot showing the doors partially opened too:

Closed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8631397350/in/photostream

Opened:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8630291635/in/photostream

Again, I look forwards to ANY and all feedback from you guys. It provides more ideas and motivation that you think..!!! :D

Also as always, there's some more info in my WIP blog; see sig

Edited by meanmachine1

Looks fantastic!

I have a feeling that if it starts raining, I'm prooooooobably going to hunker down in one of those.

Just to avoid the dreaded knocking.

:P

Hi lads,

hey cheers for that link, that structure looks pretty cool tbh mate. I've saved it to my ref folder anyway, so maybe expect to see it in the final Zone..!!!

@Shtebbie- if you do want to avoid the knocking, make sure you choose a container without doors..! Some of them won't have any so the Bandits will get you... ;)

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Hello again,

time for another update..!

This is one of the Cargo Container variations. As I said, it's quite a quick job seeing as the model is already done and it's just a case of retexturing the whole thing really.

Also, I tip my hat to Soul_Assassin for pointing out that I really should put those little doeys on the tops and bottoms of the locking poles, as I didn't do it initially. I thought it was a case of poly count over tiny detail, but bless his eagle eyes he noticed them missing in under a minute lol..! ;)

Anyway, here's the variation Container:

Closed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8630291147/in/photostream

Open:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8630290089/in/photostream

I reckon I'll do two more... then those Stalker modified ones of each type.

Edited by meanmachine1

meanmachine1 - I am really loving what you are making, it is looking great. I do have a request though - even if you don't release the source files for your lovely models would you be interested in writing a tutorial about how you made one of the simpler ones? I'd love to do a bit of 3d building modelling for Arma3 but I wouldn't know where to start as most of the information out there is Arma3 stuff layered on Arma2 stuff.

I know a tutorial can take quite a while, so perhaps a screencast or something - also I'd love to see how your ideas evolve as they have a lovely coherent vision :)

Anyway, just a thought and keep up the good work - I can't wait to play with the elements to make some exciting missions.

If it helps I am a 15 year videogames industry vet with lots of games design experience (though when it comes to 3d modelling I am still a noob :) )

Hi slerbal,

First, thanks for your comments!

If you mean a tut for actually modelling, then there's loads of tuts out there that would do a better job than me here at describing the process, as it'd take ages lol..!

If it's modelling/prepping an object to get it into ARMA itself, again, there's many tuts available on the ARMA2 Editing/modelling section on these very forums mate.

I'm quite pushed for time tbh, this is a lot of work and I'm trying to utilise every second lol..!

I have a strong idea of the look I'm after, so before I start each piece, I know exactly what I want to do and I mostly always have sketches and ref images to hand too. Mostly, this is just my take on the STALKER world...

I hope that at least answers something man..!

Hi,

here's the last variation on the generic Cargo Container, this time a rusted to hell blue one:

Closed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8630290801/in/photostream

Open:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8631398172/in/photostream

I reckon I'll leave it at these three for now, I can always add more later. The trick with these too is to try not to have them too varied colour wise, or it'll stand out as ONLY three containers scattered around so I've tried to make them different colours, but so they're quite close to each other values wise so they sort or merge into each other a bit. The rust and general smegma helps with that...

Next I'll get started on some Stalker modified ones.

Also, I'm throwing an idea I've had out there for some feedback if anyone has time:

I'd love to have some sort of rudimentary Cable Car system in this map. Ideally, it'd be related to a Mining Site (Opencast if underground structures aren't supported by ARMA3...) and would consist of quite a long and slow moving set of cabs, each with their own front headlight (Occupant operated) and open framework. Very rusty claptrap affairs, meant for miners and not sightseeing..!

Also, at each end there has to be receiving areas, one of which is the main control room. This would ideally have a Comms system that can be toggled to all or each cab.

So, say if you're in a group of Bandits, your team leader stays at the control room and sends a few of you up to the mining hills in a couple of cabs but you then find out there's some Stalkers in some other cabs up ahead. The team leader could turn the whole system off, or Radio in to just his own groups cabs about the situation and plan a "drive by" shooting..!!!

Anyway, it's something I'd love to add and would make it a feature of the map and I am hoping to get your feedback or ideas etc if I can.

Also worth mentioning, I've got a question about the whole problematic side of doing this in the Community channel, but have yet to get an answer. Hopefully it won't present to many problems and is doable... fingers crossed!

Take it easy guys.

Hi Marc!

Great news, I'm happy for you. I believe in you, all will be well:)

That's brilliant!

These objects will bring an amazing atmosphere.... Great work!!!

@docpet- Hi man..! How're things with you and your project? I'm looking forwards to ANYTHING Stalker related you have to throw to us..!!! ;)

@Babylonjoke- Cheers man, nice of you to say and yes I really hope to try to achieve a unique atmosphere with this island. I want it to be recognisably STALKER, but something different... the main themes are Post Apocalyptic, Horror and Survival exploration.

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas/advice about that cable car idea..?

The cable car sounds really sweet, though scripting it up might be a challenge. Though I do wonder if ARMA suppourts moving platforms, and keeping everyone on board from sliding out, might be able to do it with some PhysX trickery, though we'll have to see. And having a strip mining machine kinda like the one in Yanov in STALKER call of Prypiat would be pretty awesome, all overgrown with moss, vines, and such, would be pretty sweet to see that on a foggy night while wandering about with some stalkers!

Studying the updated of the game engine, very little time for the simulation. That's about the atmosphere on the island of ...

Don't understand how you can implement the movement of the car (if only turning over the rails up) or script parachute

there are a few scripts in a2 for trains, its possible, but it would be a seperate thing to your map which btw any in game screenshots of your objects? would be nice to see them in use :)

Hey up fellas,

Cheers for the suggestions and advice. I'll carry on modelling in the meantime and hope I can think of something for those Cable Cars...

@docpet- excellent man..! I take it this means you're still hard at work on your Stalker mod..? :D

@Thedog88- there were a couple of screenies I posted a few weeks back now, but tbh I'm concentrating on just CHURNING out content for now, then will port a metric ton of them later on, otherwise it sort of "stalls" the process.

Anyway, here's those shots, I'm not sure you might have seen them already, THESE AREN'T NEW SCREENSHOTS:

House_01 in ARMA2

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/DEV_SHOT_17.png

House_01 in ARMA3

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/INGAME_02.png

Yes of course, there was a time tried to simulate the 3D editor.

Cable Cars in Ukraine Kyiv is in this form of which 106 years, as I think will be better to use rail cart (as in roadside picnic).:confused:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrdocpet/8636231007/in/photostream/

For example, use the script Zonekiller or gachopin etc.

Edited by docpet

For some strange reason (which is probably connected to your awesome skill in the envioriment art) the House_01 looks absolutly great also in Arma 2!

You can always model an huge mountain with tunnels/caves for these carts :D ..

Edited by Babylonjoke

Dude, you're doing an amazing job here! I'm really expecting to see this, i really enjoy some of these maps, they are really nice for a change of pace, and it still can be a good military island. Good luck on your job!

Hi,

@Babylonjoke and Lucasmnunesk- Thanks guys, and yes hopefully when it's finished it'll have an untone of military about it, hints of old defunk Russian forces scrapped about the place and some sort of Joint Force ruins that tried to capitalise on the Zones Artefacts but were obliterated or something. Suggestions would be welcome for this side of things! ;)

Aye, I'm glad of the way the buildings translates into the ARMA engine, but believe me it looks a LOT nicer when stuck into ARMA3 mate..!

Anyway, here's the latest update.

This is the first of about 3-4 Stalker modified Cargo Containers, meaning that the Stalkers/Bandits etc have been trying to scavenge pieces of scrap metal or anything they can get their hands on and weld them as plating to the containers to bolster it's defensive capabilities- so to help it act as an outpost or something at the edge of a dangerous area or a camp for example.

This particular one has some Russian spray painted on the front of it's one remaining door, the round yellow circle with the three triangles represents the international "Fallout Shelter" symbol, and the text under it means "SHELTER".

Thanks goto Soulassassin for the translation..! :)

There is military vehicle panelling welded across the top of the window and at the far corner of this container to act again as a defensive plate, so you can cover from behind it.

On the far side in the middle is a welded on ladder to allow access to the roof, where again Stalkers have added sheet metal for protection.

They've also cut the entire back out and raised it up and propped it on a metal pole and bent the whole sheet up for a shield, whilst in the other edge there's a metal door with a firing hole blowtorched out of it welded onto the corner of the container.

There's also little details like the inside of the cargo door has some old maps of The Zone stuck to it, all faded and marking drawn on them- although I'm not going to go overboard on these kind of details too much at this early point, as I'll wait to see how they look when they're repeated ingame...

Anyway, I hope you like it and PLEASE feel free to post any advice/crits/suggestions:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8638650809/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8639754788/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8638651067/in/photostream/

Edited by meanmachine1

Amazing stuff marc!

When i see those containers i immediately need to think about some vehicle wrecks in the same style for hiding or sneak around, but im sure you alredy planned such stuff.

Keep up the nice work :thumbsup:

I have been waiting for a game mod similar to this.. hopefully this can become something similar to DayZ where there is a "survival" aspect to it.. I think it would be really interesting to see like old rusty weapons with a limited amount of primary's and make ammo a type of currency thats available for traded goods... :P just a lot of creative things you could do..

Lots of great things could come out of a mod like this.. for inspiration I liked the look of the upcoming game of "The Last of Us" even though this is based of the STALKER series, could use some of their "look" and features for an inspiration. Cant wait till its released.

Hey meanmachine1 i wanted to ask you..

What RVMAT's are you using for large objects? (like buildings-or these large containers))

Multimaterials or more common ones?..

Hi,

@ Atsche, cheers dude! And yes I am indeed planning some vehicle wrecks too, and some of them military.

@ GiorgyGR, I have been advised by some old hands to use multimats for structures, as they keep the section count down. I'm also using multimats on these cargo containers as they're so detailed because I want them to be almost as useful/used as houses etc... So they're worth having a few more textures in that regard.

@ Sheepdog, aye, me too mate which is why I decided to start working on it. I want to make the game I always wanted to play, which is basically a horror/military/survival in a ruinous post apoc landscape of utter desolation with huge potential for exploration.

The ARMA3 engine will fit the mold exactly for this endevour..!

Thank you for all the suggestions too chaps..! :)

What is your intent regarding the horror aspect, do you plan to include monsters, mutants and stuff like that (:() or....?