meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

hey mean, been a couple days since an update, any news? were dying for something new hereXD

@All3n, lol, still working on a building mate. A sort of generic little Admin Building with stairs that go upto the roof for overwatch.

Worth noting for all of the buildings I'm doing for now have just one variation on the inside wall texture. Once the island is done and I see how it runs, then I can start to add more different wallpaper textures per room etc for variety, but for now I'm keeping them at one for speed/performance sake... Also, all structured are the BASE structure only, I'll be populating them with interior objects once they're placed in the map.

@Meanmachine1 i was curious, have you modeled maps for arma before? also are you familiar with scripting? (like animating the jelly and making it release harmful gas) im just curious because you havent said much about the actual map itself, do you have any rough napkin sketches of maybe the basic layout of the map top-down? lol

Hi All3n,

lol, no to both mate..! ;)

I'm got a lot of experience in modelling/creating/layout maps form various games I've worked on and been involved with, so that side of it isn't really playing in my mind too much at this point.

As far as scripting goes, I've close to zero experience of it, but will learn as I go- I've already learning a lot in getting some of my models into and working in ARMA2/3.

Animating is something I also have experience of, but basic stuff- which should be more than what's needed for what I intend to do...

This is just the initial phase of creating a vast(ish) library of buildings/structures/props etc, so that when the time comes to start the map/terrain itself, I've plenty to pick and choose from. Also, the style I'm creating all these objects and their palette will influence my design anyway, so I'm trying with each object to make it unique and varied...

As far as the final map design/layout, it'll be a large (Cherno sized) bleak and ravaged wasteland of sinking ruins and abandoned villages and hamlets. I plan to have a lot of small to medium sized villages and MAYBE (Not sure, as performance and asset creation come into it) one LARGE city or industrial facility. I'd rather have the large industrial area than a city, as it's got more potential to fit in with the STALKER feeling than a city does imo...

Also, I intend to make The Zone an actual designated area, so it will be walled off with a huge sprawling series of walls and defenses to try (They failed) and contain it's expansion, and now parts of the wall lay in ruins etc, and the Zone and it's contents have started to spill out into the surrounding countryside.

There will be towns, research facilities, science buildings, ruins, swamps, forests, Ashland (Thanks to Kyle for the suggestion) which is basically a HUGEEEE area where more or less everything is burnt to a crisp and ash and smoke and poisonous gases pollute the air to fatal levels, so protection should be a necessity, and many more areas...

I've a full sketch pad full of scribbles/doodles/notes and have a rough idea of how I'll go about the map layout- I'l be taking individual cues from real life locations of say villages, so the layout will be authentic, but obviously with my take on the buildings themselves.

Anyway, from some of my notes, here's some ref words that'll hopefully give you an idea of what I'm going for wit this map:

desolate

stark

bleak

void

stagnant

worn

abandoned

derelict

dreary

forsaken

isolated

ruined

lonely

wastes

wild

grim

raw

blighted

decayed

blasted

devastated

quarantine

exclusion

silent

Hope that's enough for you man..!

If I could possible add some input, I think a lot of people would look for themysterious feel of stalker as well. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, have lots of anomalous looking structures, like a building imploded or a crater with fire, make player want to explore more of the island, mold a story with the island itself, have a building ripped down and 20 feet away have a skeleton with bones. One more thing I wanted to say, Please make it an island with water on all sides! I hated the chernarus feel of being on a continent, I like the mysterious island feel myself, and with arma 3s new diving system, you could even have some sunken towns?:)

Hi man,

Aye, I'm going to give it a mysterious feel of course mate. That's one of my reasons for wanting to do this island in the first place, as there's not very many ARMA maps that deviate from reality too much atm.

Also yeah, it'll more than likely be an island, as I read somewhere that islands perform better than landlocked maps...

Is the a team speak your actively on? It'd be cool to swap ideas around sometime, maybe play a little arma 3 too

Seems like you're doing an awesome job. I just checked out your WIP blog and it looks sweet. Besides the obvious DayZ thing going on it could also be a nice setting for different missions. If you need any help with 2D work you can always send me a PM.

Hi chaps,

I'm not really playing any ARMA these days, more concentrating on creating this island. The most I've played of ARMA3 is to stick some of my buildings in and then set some OPFOR onto me to hunt me down inside them! Works pretty well too..!

It's great trying to find a covered angle inside a house where the walls have crumbled down and the roof is just a few planks of wood... ;)

@Andateh, thanks very much for your kind offer mate, very good of you. I'll try to keep this a one man job though..!!!

this looks promising. i like the style and really enjoy seeing this develop. i understand not playing arma since im doing the same thing, too busy modelling lol. i look forward to putting boots on the ground on your map, also looking to create some horror'ish type missions or videos. would be pretty cool. keep it up man

Sounds awesome, can't wait to use these dilapidated buildings for cover or shelter to last a restless night, I also love the idea of having a wall that has been broken down after a failed attempt to contain the zone, sounds mighty good

Hello again,

Aye, for The Wall I plan to make it a prominent feature, so it really holds some sway over gameplay wherever it is in the map. I've a few ideas on how I can do this, but will keep them tip top secret for now lol..! ;)

As far as the ruined dilapidated buildings go, they really change how I think of cover. I was hiding in one with lots of windows with broken frames, a huge gaping hole in one corner of the most secure room, and the entire roof more or less gutted and an OPFOR squad turned up... I ended up running out of the building and tried to sprint away to hide behind a rock as it offered more cover lol..!!! It looks cool when in ARMA3 you turn the overcast and thunder on when you're in a ruined structure with all the bricks and planks sticking out and the rain coming in through the non-existent roof. ;)

Really good to see your progress Mesh. Some great looking buildings you're churning out. It's good to see the community interest and input too. Your island is certainly something for us all to look forward too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hi Aenigma..!

How's it going man..!? :D

Thanks, and aye the input is absolutely welcome, I can get ideas from almost everything suggested so it all helps..!

There should be an update in a few days too...

...A quick idea suggestion to those who are following this:

I've got loads of little ideas that could be implemented once I've more or less completed this island, ideas that would fit into the STALKER thing.

For example, one small one is too walk up to a door, and simply have the option to "KNOCK?". So my reasoning is for immersion/fear factor etc. You could be with a group and have set up a secret knock on your building to be let in, or imagine being totally alone after a day wandering the wilderness, then you find a lone shack with a few bare rooms. You start a fire, sit down and prepare to cook some food up- and then comes a slow knock on the door..! :)

There could be the option of slow/gentle/hard knock type of thing. I know it sounds a bit silly, but thinking about it and if I put myself in that position I reckon it could be quite alarming..?! Anyway, food for thought guys and I'd be happy to see your thoughts on these kinds of little ideas...

Take it easy..!

Edited by meanmachine1

meanmachine, good to see your progress and the objects shaping up nicely! I'm sure any STALKER map with wasteland-like objects would be atmospheric enough to make the player believe he's in constant danger and tension. The size doesn't really matters, in my opinion. Considering the amount of detail, 5x5km might be enough for the start.

By the way, here's some reference artworks/renders from STALKER 2 (for inspiration and stuff!): http://www.hpnot1q-gaming.com/s-t-a-l-k-e-r/more-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-3d-render-and-ingame-screenshots/

There's more - just google 'Stalker 2 concept art leaked' :).

@Inlesco, hey thanks for that link man, damn, Survivarium is shaping up nicely..!

Also, SUCH a shame that STALKER 2 went down the pan, as I had such high hopes for that masterpiece... :(

I really want to make this a huge island mate, one of many reasons being if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it properly, so no shortcuts or compromises were I can help it etc. I know the size of the task I've bitten off, and am fully prepared to face whatever it throws at me lol..!!! Also, even though STALKER 2 or Survivarium would be the real deal, they can't do what ARMA can do, which is true sandbox gameplay on a MASSIVE scale, so I really want to fill that gap with a huge Stalker island..! That and the constantly updating gun play I love so much in the ARMA universe..!

Every now and then I sit back and think "Oh holy s&*t, what have I started with this, as I was worried about putting the dev blog out etc etc incase of bad reception or ultimately failing to deliver as I know there's a LOT of STALKER fans out there, of which I am one.

But, the way I'm trying to counter the negative thoughts is by taking it in my own direction within certain limitations yes, and also one day at a time..!

Anyway, bit of a drunken ramble but thank you again for those links man, appreciated..! :)

Very cool, I'm certain this map is going to have loads of atmosphere in it when it is done. I can also see the wall as being a major game play element, where bandits could camp out some of the safer accessible gaps in it, while the less safe, due to monsters, dangerous climates, jelly, etc, would be an option for those quick on their feet and not particularly fond of getting robbed. Keep up the great work, this is probably my most looked forward to map/mod for A3!

You should throw us a bone oce you have enough items modeled, similar to stratus. It's a small island compared to altis, you could make maybe a 10kmx10km little mini island with 2 villages, just showing off the features and atmosphere, it would really grab the attention of people that might be having doubt that you're commited to the task at hand

Lol, are you serious All3n..?!?!?! ;)

The amount of time it would take to model a small island, place objects, link objects, animate objects, create clutter, create foliage, create trees, place sound sources, create terrain textures, specs, norms, layout, planning, place roads after creating them etc etc etc..!!!

It would "kill" about 6-12 months out of my dev time mate..! If not, more...

I'd love to throw a bone All3n, don't get me wrong, but that is one big bone... lol...

I was just about to say anyway, I popped my ARMA3 Cherry- I was hiding in one of my houses, and a SNAKE slithered through it lol..!!! Actually made me jump..!

Lol okay maybe that wasn't such a great idea In hindsight, when are you planning on modeling foliage?

Hehe..!!! ;)

Nah man, I understand your asking but there is SO MUCH going on behind the scenes when you make an object, let alone an entire island- its size is almost irrelevant as EVERYTHING would still need to be created to make it even work, let alone look good.

Believe me, it's a HELL of a lot of work matey...

Some of the reg modder guys here really know their stuff, and even they say it's a lot of work in many respects.

As far as "bone throwing" goes though, every now and then, I will post an ingame shot of an object I've got into ARMA3, but I really don't want to show too much ingame, as EVERYTHING I'm doing is sort of WIP, and will need a lot of tweaking further down the road so it might give a false sense of the final product if you get me..?

I was just testing a house out to see what it looked like in overcast conditions (STALKEResque conditions..!) and noticed the Specular map was too glossy for the surface- brick. So, if I release a vid showing shiny bricks etc, peeps might start to email with "why are those bricks too shiny dude..?!" lol... I don't know- I reckon it's best to show some still images once in awhile maybe mate, as there's more control to be had over a single image.

Anyway yeah- the foliage question is a good one, as I haven't yet looked at how foliage (Animating in wind etc, occluding AI LOS etc) is done correctly in ARMA2, let alone ARMA3, so it's probs best to wait until ARMA3 dev stuff comes out, guidance etc, then I'll start, but I've a pretty good idea of what kind of foliage to do, and some really f(*^^d up ones too mate..! All twisted with radiation and sickness in the soil etc... ;)

Actually modelling and texturing and doing LODs isn't a problem, but for it to be sleek, performance wise and fully working engine wise is more of a job that needs research first. I don't want to get it wrong so will take my time modelling other things in the meantime whilst info comes out about it...

Edited by meanmachine1