meshcarver

Large S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired Island "NOVA ZONA"

Anything new?

With all of the press about ArmA III's impending alpha release, I had to ask. :)

Hey up man..! :D

I'm very close to showing another WIP shot of a house this time, but have literally been completely bogged down with RL work so progress halted for awhile.

It's all about priorities I'm afraid- very annoying but necessary hey.. :(

Anyway, the new house is finished tbh, but, I'm knocking a hole in the side of it for STALKERs to get in and out of etc, and taking some roofing/floorboards off too, so all those little touches need modelling then texturing etc- so it takes more time.

Hopefully though, yes, there'll be a new shot of it soon enough (A few days?) here.

Oh, and I also got one of the houses (The brick one with no roof) ingame and working. It looks really creepy at night, with the roofing planks etc and holes in it creating silhouettes of all kinds with the new campfires burning outside..! ;)

Thanks for popping back anyway Kyle!

RL always come first so just take your time, it's ready when it's ready.

I'm glad to know that you got one of your building ingame, the process should become alot easier as you add more building into the game. Looking forward to see some screenshot of your progress.

Thanks for your input and advice guys, nice one!

Aye Dragula, I already have most of those shots in my ref folder, but thank you anyway for showing me them mate. I am using shots of the actual area for inspiration, and doing my own take on them.

Anyway, I think there are now two different Chernobyl maps in development? More reason to stick to my plans and make this something different... ;)

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, would this just be a map theme or would there be some monsters roaming the map (a la DayZ)? I was thinking just the other day that an ArmA: 2033 would be pretty cool, but unfortunately a metro needs a city ontop of it, and city's tend to have lots of geometry, ArmA's arch-nemesis.

@StroggCmd,

cheers man, an aye, it's going to be a map as the work needed to do "just" a map will probably spill over into years of work man lol..! I am hoping to make this map a Cherno sized map.

There's already a fantastic STALKER addon and also STALKER units somewhere on these forums, and one of them has Bloodsuckers in it- it's pretty damn good.

Hello again,

First, apologies it's been so long since an update, but RL work comes a strong first..!!!

Also, I've been putting some of my objects/structures actually into ARMA now, so that's taken awhile but I'm now more or less fluent in that process so that's something else (Another worry!) I can tick off the list.

Well, here's a link to the latest House:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86890612@N02/8533424756/in/photostream

And if you check my blog, there's some more information about it, and what I intend to do next:

http://meshcarver.blogspot.com/

Oh, and here's a link to a full 1920*1200 screen grab of House 01 in game as a cheeky treat (Using Rockhount and Yacs Fog Script):

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/DEV_SHOT_17.png

Edited by meanmachine1

Yeah, I'm hoping to somehow have a similar fog in the map in pockets dotted accross the landscape randomly... Would be epic ;)

Also, these houses are all just the "shell"- there will be little objects to interact with like lanterns on tables and fireplaces where you can light a fire inside the house. You can just make out the fireplace inside this particular house in centre image.

That's a brilliant idea. Most of the time, the house are empty and we've nothing to interact with inside the building so that's a nice addition.

As I've modelled the actual chimney flue to go down to the fireplace itself, then in theory you should be able to throw a grenade into the chimney from outside, and if you aim is good enough, it should fall down the stack and explode in the fireplace, killing everyone around the fire..! What joy..!

That's another brilliant idea, I'll have to increase my throwing skill though.

BTW, your house look amazing ingame and I can only imagine how great a island filled with your objects will look like. Your future island is starting to look even more promising now that I've seen one of your house ingame. We can count on you to give it a great post-apocalyptic atmosphere, that's for sure.

That ‘House 01’ is quality personified.:)

I am really looking forward to your release..

Edit: just a thought, are any of your buildings available for download now, or is that just a treat for the future..

Edited by ChrisB

Hi ChrisB,

Thanks man!

Sadly no, its still very early days with this island, and theres still so many buildings/objects to do... Ideally ill release the entire island before releasing separate objects packs mate.

Did this thread move from ARMA2 to ARMA3?

@meanmachine1 - do you plan adding outfits & accessories?

Keep working in your own pace and this'll come out great, man. You've got lots of potential, so does this map :)

Edited by AlexVestin

Hi guys,

aye, sorry for the slight inconvenience but I requested this thread be moved to the ARMA3 section, as it's basically being developed with ARMA3 in mind. (Imagine the A3 lighting effects at night in The Zone, and the volumetric clouds..!)

@Grimwald- As far as adding accessories and outfits- damn, that's such a long way off as the SOLE priority right now is to create an entire large island based on the STALKER world, but with my own twist/flavour. Consider things like The Road, Book Of Eli, Roadside Picnic, HP Lovecrafts little rotting villages full of infection and strange warped connections etc, and of course STALKER itself..!

Most importantly, it's going to be grounded in reailty- not too Mad Max or aliens with acidic lasers for eyes!!!

When you say accessories, do you mean for the Units themselves..? Like gasmasks etc..?

@AlexVestin- Thanks very much man, appreciated..! I'm going as steady as I can with this, and right now am in the process of creating a few metal piling defence sections, all rusted and shot to hell. They should be great for temporary base building and bandit camp perimeters etc.

Anyway, I'll show them soon in the next WIP update..!

Hi guys,

aye, sorry for the slight inconvenience but I requested this thread be moved to the ARMA3 section, as it's basically being developed with ARMA3 in mind. (Imagine the A3 lighting effects at night in The Zone, and the volumetric clouds..!)

Thats fabulous news! The spooky feel will definately benefit from A3´s new lightning.

This looks amazing so far, will certainly be following this closely! Just read though the thread, and I have to say, I love the idea of the Ashlands, and having the city at the center. I can imagine it now (with ARMA 3's lighting engine) seeing bright flashes of red and yellow through the ash-fog in the distance, would be mighty good. Another thing I think would be a good idea is to have a swampy area, with sunken houses, boats and things like that, much like STALKER's Zaton, only far more treacherous with quicksand, underwater anomalies, things of that nature. Other than that, looks astounding now, can't wait to see it finished!

@meanmachine1

Long way off, for sure. I'm hoping there will be a lot more community-made assets by that time which are up to your standard and can be included. The apparent modular outfitting (gear and uniform) I've seen in Alpha footage is very impressive. It looks like a great base for modding. Imagining vast libraries of outfits, accessories, clothes, backpacks, body armor, etc. got me a bit excited. LOL@me.

Glad you're clarifying your setting with those extra influences. It's pretty easy to think STALKER-themed means that STALKER is the only theme. I look forward to it. Exploring a quasi-magical post-apocalyptic setting of industrial wasteland is so much fun and there's a very strong appeal that a large group of players indulge in.

You've inspired me to get back to my STALKER-themed short duration sandbox. F**K it's a lot of work and with ARMA3 apparently close it feels a little less than worth it making it at all. But it must be done.

The latest images look TERRIFIC!

And yes indeed, one must take care of real life concerns before anything else.

You are awesome for just starting this project! I can't wait to see the final result. I know it might take a long time, but you already have so much done. I'm very impressed!

Hi guys,

fap-fap-fap, is all i can say about it :p

Oh my goodness.

I am extremely excited for this!