Sign in to follow this  
Twin2Win

Winter Map Questions

Hello everybody!

Well one of my map projects I've been working on Bree City is a 5120x5120 map and its split by a river running east to west, or west to east however you want to look at it and currently i'm using the texture from Utes...but then it dawned on me that the atmosphere on my map would be better suited for winter. The crisp crunch of snow underneath your boots, the humble little snowmen in the front yards, the blood in the snow, you know the great things about winter. My question is, what ground/snow texture should I use? And what map has a nice winter texture? I've done a bit of looking around and a few of the I44 maps use some pretty nice textures but I'd prefer not to rip them from the respected authors without permission. Anyone have any ideas as to what would be a good winter texture? Also is their a frozen lake and or river anywhere? Or does anyone have any ideas as to how I'd be able to recreate such an effect? And if their is a way to recreate this effect, I'd totally find a way to write a config for loss of traction on said terrain type and it would be glorious... Anyway Thanks for listening everyone and hope to hear from you all soon =)

EDIT: Anyone happen to know what road pieces are the connecting ones? Roads make me sad =(

Edited by Twin2Win

Aloha!

Winter maps are always a good thing to have. Far too few are out there.

For inspiration, first have a look at CWR2's Winter Kolgujew. Once you did a couple of flyovers and a good hike on that island, you'll quickly find yourself in need of "winterized" objects, roads, housings and vegetation for your project.

Winter footstep sounds (envSounds) are also not ingame by default.

So my best bet here is for you to pitch into the CWR2 content, as they have all these assets already done and readily available.

A frozen lake is absolutely definitely possible, but you would have to make such an object first. This means you'll need to look at using O2 and bringing new assets into the game, too.

Thanks Mondkalb, I'll be downloading the pack and taking a tour =D And if I like what I see, I'll get in contact with W0lle and ask for some permissions. Thanks! Also I'll see what I can do about the frozen lake. I think it would be something really great to have =)

EDIT:3.5Gb JESUS! I'll let you know what I think in 15 hours.....

Edited by Twin2Win

Mondkalb's right....

Getting that winter atmosphere and landscape together is one thing, but unless you're making Antarctica, then you really do need to think about all the winter extras you'll require...

There's been a few terrific winter terrains so far by Beton, Prowler_Wolf, OldBear and Raunhofer - amongst others - all of which will be available on the Armaholic Terrains section...

Well worth checking out a few of them, as well as CWR2 Winter of course...

Here's some more "rough sketch" Winter Inspiration I slapped together recently during a discussion about winter objects, and the lack of them.....

isa_menu.jpg

Ice Station... Aardvark (71MB) ;)

...same deal.... after a fairly atmospheric 15 minutes flying around your next thought is... I wish there were actual places... but that would require winter-theme stuff, which is in relatively short supply.....

Good luck!

B

Well Bush I did a fly around on your "ice station" and would like to ask for permission to use your ground texture and hit sounds. Would that be ok if I fully credit you?

You're welcome to use the groundtextures, though there's better ones around - they're the same in both those winter maps I posted links for... there's no custom "hit sound" - it's a default footstep sound with "drygrass" sound environment.... not sure why, now I come to think of it...

There's better scrunchy footstep sounds around too - take a look at Prowler Wolfs "Battle of the Bulge" terrain for one...

B

ok will do thanks a lot man, your the one who got me in to this whole thing anyway =P /bows *We're not worthy* and yes, thats a Waynes world reference =P

Well I guess I'm going to have to deal with no winter objects until someone does the community a huge favor by releasing some winterized objects for everyone to use. Until then everyone can just pretend I guess. I don't have the resources to make my own objects nor the knowledge to take on modeling. Although, I might get a bit "angry" some time and try and learn how to use the programs and release the objects for everyone to use... Until then my winter dream dies, well, my fully fulfilled winter dream, still going to be snow on the ground but that's it =/ Another thing I was thinking of going back to the frozen lake pond idea. If I use L3DT and adjust my heightmap and form the pond myself but in a non traditional way. That would be having the pond/lake surface sit just below the surrounding ground and use a custom texture to color in the area on a sat map and mask? So have like it painted slightly greyblue and have a corresponding texture that is greyblue to resemble frozen lake water? Would that work do you think? Also, Anyone got any recommendations on how to line up buildings better? kind wish there was a snap to function =/

Alright, someone, for the sake of my sanity, point me in the direction of some snowy pine trees...I've searched here, armaholic and armedassault.... now I have a headache =( Currently using mikebarts winter "dead" trees atm

Hey Twin2Win,

You had sent me a pm on I44 forums, what were you asking me about as I44 forums are messed up, cant read any pms.

Hello! Glad to see a response! I was, in a more formulated way, asking for permission to use the winter pines on winter Merderet as stated in your documentation such permission should be obtained. If I receive permission it would all so be of help if you could inform me of what file the tree's are located in. I have unpacked them just to look at them for better understating but that is it so far. Been looking for the green light from you. Thank you for your time!

You got the wrong guy, you need to ask the guys on the I44 team, I'm just Author of WarMod series. Whatever I got or built is linked in my sig, I dont have anything else.

Never made trees or anything for maps, I'm, just a compiler.

Weird I thought you wre part of the I44 Team, my mistakes man. Thank you for your time though! I'll start sending out some emails =P

Hellz yeah =D I do like what you do though, love WarMod. Also, I got in contact with the right guy and was given permission to use his awesome trees. So expect a new map in idk...a month? lol probably longer But I'll try and get some screenies and updates posted as I make notable progress.