Sign in to follow this  
SnowSky

Personal Sounds - Problem joining Servers

Would you like soundfiles should be disabled if too big?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like soundfiles should be disabled if too big?

• Yes
    • I don't care (perhaps I have an other idea how to handle that)
    • No (perhaps I have an other idea how to handle that)

Hey all,

I was just wondering, how other people handle the problem with sound files and joining servers.

As Introduction, players can create a sound folder in their arma settings folder, so they can be called ingame.

However, some servers for example do not allow sound files, or smaller sizes than the default value (which is 50KB?).

So if you want to join those servers, you have to get out the game, rename the folder, and than rejoin the server.

If you have a better procedure handling this problem, feel free to tell me.

Otherwise, my thought was, if sound files are to big, the game should grey them out/disable them on that server.

Whats your opinion?

cheers and bye

SnowSky

every sane server admin disallows custom files

Simply disabling them if they are turned off/not allowed on the server side would be far better than the "can't connect restart" method.

There is a CIT ticket for kylania's suggestion. Also one to separate custom faces from custom sounds.

Limiting the file size works best if you are going to allow them. Remember that when someone connects for the game all the extra files they have (custom face and sounds) must be loaded to the other players. Extra large files slows loading time and if JIP enabled it may cause lag.