Sign in to follow this  
coilwinder

The Commander can't jump? - Stuck at the beginning in the FPS mission.

So I finally gave in and got the Steam version :)

I realize this isn't a FPS game primarily, or that the FPS portion is just rather light-weight. I guess as a sort of an intro. But - no jumping? The mighty Commander can't even get past the tiniest obstacle in front of him, unless it is a gentle slope? And this from the makers of the ARMA series? Of which I haven't yet played, btw, but I do assume they can jump in ARMA 1, 2 and the coming ARMA 3? (Even if experience have thought me to not expect the expected, so to speak, when it comes to games... so as I said, I haven't played those games, and I just don't know. Kinda starts to doubt it lol).

Unless I have missed something, that is always a possibility, but I couldn't find any jump button, spacebar didn't work, nor did Q (Elevate - probably just for Manta's).

Now I don't regret buying this at all (at least not yet). And I'll just do it over, it's not like I wasted any amount of time yet getting there. But it seems to me the FPS portion is a bit too light-weight?

Btw the place I'm stuck is at the first canon one gets to, the one protected by a force field. I had to walk up to it and have a look, and got stuck between the slopes leading to it. Now all I can do is shoot with it (F - use), but not aim or anything, as far as I know.

A couple of screenshots to show where:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106085251&insideModal=1

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106085227&insideModal=1

I seem to remember getting stuck in one of those, too. The FPS sections are generally considered to be the worst part of the game, fortunately they are only short. There is no jumping, but there is no need for it. If an obstacle is there, it is to make you take the correct path.

I realize this isn't a FPS game primarily, or that the FPS portion is just rather light-weight. I guess as a sort of an intro. But - no jumping? The mighty Commander can't even get past the tiniest obstacle in front of him, unless it is a gentle slope? And this from the makers of the ARMA series? Of which I haven't yet played, btw, but I do assume they can jump in ARMA 1, 2 and the coming ARMA 3?

There is no jumping in any ArmA game. Look at combat videos from Afghanistan and Iraq for two days straight and count how many times you see professional soldiers jumping over something. The most you'll see is leaping across ditches. Jumping with at least 60+ pounds of equipment strapped to your body isn't the best solution for getting over obstacles. There is a climb-over function for low walls and fences (mostly waist high stuff), but no jumping.

If an obstacle is there, it is to make you take the correct path.

Yes, I realize that too, but it still bugs me, especially if the obstacle is small. Or invisible.

@ JdB:

I suppose that makes sense (and I didn't know that there was no jumping in ArmA games). At least somewhat. Still, small obstacles as walls seems silly (Talking about CCGM now). Oh well.

Generally I liked the FPS portion (sans shortcomings). I know it isn't completely true to the old classic, but I wouldn't mind more of it. Maybe as another game mode, as it would'nt be quite the same game anymore.

Thanks for answering guys.

Edited by coilwinder
answering both in one post

Sorry for the delay in responding. I get stuck sometimes, too. In both modes btw. Walrusses remain stuck between walls, Mantas remain stuck because the mountain is too high, and the AI does not find a way around it or above it. And me remain stuck remporarily while I am on route to somewhere.

Well these problems I know from older games, and the key, for me anyway, is remain on the preprogrammed paths from the programmers and do not try fancy stuff. Altough I would like to explore every inch of the island by myself, hijacking a red walrus maybe or on foot.

Little Review of the game in campaign mode V1.02.0034:

I started in the profiles a second session, and played trough beyond Fulcrum. No surprises, exactly as the first game, but I am much quicker because I am experienced now and the poor enemy does not have any chance. It grows to my heart somehow. And I like Myrik. After 11 years "Hostile Waters", I am more than happy to have a better game with a carrier and big guns. Even some strategy that I applied in "Hostile Waters" are working in Carrier Command, too. I will try the beta patch 1.3.

OFF TOPIC I read the book "Beyond the Son" by P.D. Gilson. It is a nice story, and I would have put the book in a hugh Paperbox along with the game manual and the game on DVD in the old days. You can buy it at Amazon. I wish some of the things written down were in the campaign, too. OFF TOPIC END

Altough I would like to explore every inch of the island by myself, hijacking a red walrus maybe or on foot.

Yes! Not a game breaker by any means, but that would be cool, I think. (Now maybe I should actually get to play the game as it is before I start discussing changing it into something else :p )

No worries about the "delay in response", not much of a delay anyway imho (I'm way slower at times).