Sign in to follow this  
konyo

Wreck model isan't straight? Nose sunk into ground?

I've just build my wreck model for my latest addon, however when i crash the Chinook the wreck model displays but the nose is sunk under the ground and the rear of the helicopter is facing towards the air at an angle of about 30 degress? I've tryed turning the wreck model to correct it but it changes everytime so I'm guessing it changes by the angle you crash at? :confused:

The wreck is done by a proxy in the 'wreck' LOD in my main models file & in the config it's written as:

"destrType = "DestructWreck";"

Edited by konyo

I also found the wrecks hard to deal with. They seem to like rolling over inverted and going underground sometimes. I played with their land contact points and other properties of the wreck model and I couldn't really get it to do what I wanted consistently.

I also found the wrecks hard to deal with. They seem to like rolling over inverted and going underground sometimes. I played with their land contact points and other properties of the wreck model and I couldn't really get it to do what I wanted consistently.

Amen! Yes you have to turn the model 180 degrees in O2 and that fixes the rolling over but however doesn't fix the problem with it going underground. First time I've played with the wreck section of an addOn, starting to regret it lol.

from memory , I recall in the wreck lod , you don't simply add the proxy but also some vertices ( un named) , try your land contact points first but remove the name properties .

if in doubt download the TOH sample model it has the wreck lod in the sample and its Mlod good for pointers I think .

yeah, what thromp said... just put 3-4 un-named points in the wreck lod along with the proxy triangle. situate them along the belly of your chinook as your wreck model probably doesn't have any wheels right?

Edited by Synide

I did that very thing but it didn't remedy the problem entirely.

+1. Didnt work for me neither, if i use 'setDamage 1;' for the Chinook it's wreck displays correctly... but if i fly and crash it the wreck spawns upside down and at an angle still? I also put the 4 points in the wreck model lod with the proxy too? :confused:

EDIT: After some more playing around with moving & adding points into the Wreck LOD.. I've finally got the model to sit flat on the ground. Its not on its belly which is a down side.. BUT its sits on it's side which is good enough :p lol

Edited by konyo

don't forget the final destination vector up etc is governed by a script , Killed eventhandlers do all the work IIRC.

These should be traceable by the data.pbo obviously most recent will be IN oa pbo`s.

but if i fly and crash it the wreck spawns upside down and at an angle still?

mmm, maybe that's a bug. I'll test it here too and see if i get the same result.

I also put the 4 points in the wreck model lod with the proxy too? :confused:

In your wreck model you really only need several Resolution LoD's, 1-2 ShadowVolume LoD's, a Geo LoD and a LandContact LoD. The Geo LoD should have the typical autocenter=0, prefershadowvolume=1, sbsource=shadowvolume. Make your LandContact last by selecting 3-4 points from your GeoLoD and copy-n-paste them into your LandContact LoD. Then copy those same 3-4 points over to your 'wreck' LoD in your original model. And, finally place a proxy from the original model wreck LoD to the wreck model. Once you have the config class attribute setup too it should just work.

Btw, which version of the game.exe are you using?

-Sy

mmm, maybe that's a bug. I'll test it here too and see if i get the same result.

In your wreck model you really only need several Resolution LoD's, 1-2 ShadowVolume LoD's, a Geo LoD and a LandContact LoD. The Geo LoD should have the typical autocenter=0, prefershadowvolume=1, sbsource=shadowvolume. Make your LandContact last by selecting 3-4 points from your GeoLoD and copy-n-paste them into your LandContact LoD. Then copy those same 3-4 points over to your 'wreck' LoD in your original model. And, finally place a proxy from the original model wreck LoD to the wreck model. Once you have the config class attribute setup too it should just work.

Btw, which version of the game.exe are you using?

-Sy

Running the latest version of the game. Did you manage to test it by crashing a helicopter/plane?

Tryed the way's you explained, its didnt work :( The wreck now spawns upside down instead of on its side/belly?

Did you manage to test it by crashing a helicopter/plane?

Yes I did manage to have a wee test. Log a CIT report. It's a bug in the in-built 'destrType' code for the 'DestructWreck' functionality I'd guess and you can't fix or alter that functionality. The settings I described previously are the req'd minimum settings so leave them as is in your model. When the bug report is resolved it should work as prescribed. That's of course if during bug fixing the functional requirements don't change.

If, and only if, you really can't stand it, you could develop a workaround in the form of attaching a killed eventhandler to 'air vehicles' in general and have the ensuing scripts remove and create a static variant of the destroyed model for the various air vehicles.

-Sy

??

Not sure why you guys are having so much trouble. Running the latest beta and re-doing a bunch of I44 aircraft wrecks at the moment. Not seeing any issues.

Make sure the actual proxy is in the 0-0-0 centre of the LOD, and as already pointed out, a couple of "land contact" vertexs in the same Wreck LOD.

Gnat;2248162']??

Not sure why you guys are having so much trouble. Running the latest beta and re-doing a bunch of I44 aircraft wrecks at the moment. Not seeing any issues.

Make sure the actual proxy is in the 0-0-0 centre of the LOD' date=' and as already pointed out, a couple of "land contact" vertexs in the same Wreck LOD.[/quote']

Yep, that's right Gnat.

Did it work...? Mine still doesn't sit flat? :confused:

Although like Synide said it's a bug. I think mine sitting on it's side is good enough for me :D

Edited by konyo

Nope, I was indicating that I did everything gnat suggested and the results are the same. Though, I doubt i44 has many helicopters. Perhaps the bug doesn't affect fixed wing aircraft.

Nope, I was indicating that I did everything gnat suggested and the results are the same. Though, I doubt i44 has many helicopters. Perhaps the bug doesn't affect fixed wing aircraft.

Oh sorry I misunderstood. I dont think it does exist to fixed wing, i know my A319 has a wreck model and that one is fine & there's no points in the wreck LOD, just the proxy itself.. Could well be a helicopter only error :p

DO you have Geometry LOD in the wreck interfering with contact?

Note that animated parts (like landing gear) can create issues.

LandContact LOD in my wreck p3d's I simply remove all animated points etc and mimic the same unnamed points as found in the main models Wreck LOD

i know my A319 has a wreck model and that one is fine & there's no points in the wreck LOD, just the proxy itself

Does the wreck model have a LANDCONTACT LOD ?

Must be something different .....

Gnat;2248530']DO you have Geometry LOD in the wreck interfering with contact?

Note that animated parts (like landing gear) can create issues.

LandContact LOD in my wreck p3d's I simply remove all animated points etc and mimic the same unnamed points as found in the main models Wreck LOD

Does the wreck model have a LANDCONTACT LOD ?

Must be something different .....

I've removed all animation points etc from the wrecks LOD & removed all named selections in the 0.00 Res LOD's?

Also I have the same points in the Wreck's Landcontact LOD which is the same as the main Models Wreck LOD?

The A319 has a landcontact LOD but its written in config as an kill_eventhandler so that could be why.

I have tryed looking into its eventhandler but its in one ear and out the other.. My scripting skills are poor :(