Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

Star Wars: Episode 7

are there books covering what happened directly after episode 6

IIRC The Truce At Bakura takes place right after Ep. VI.

I haven't read much 'EU' stuff myself in years (an old flatmate of mine used to own a few books); but I know there are also a few comic arcs and short stories that run concurrently to Episode VI, and afterwards.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_comics

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

^Might be worth looking through those lists ~4/5 ABY^

That's a great timeline, thanks. Reminds me I need to finish the rogue squadron stuff.

Well hopefully they won't wipe all that stuff... :(

Thrawn is next on my list. Read the Corellia trilogy a few weeks ago.

About this expanded universe storyline: are there books covering what happened directly after episode 6? If not it wouldn't really be a problem to put some stuff in. I mean SW: Clone Wars does it too...

There are some single books playing in the transition time between Episode VI and the real New Republic era. Its a small space of roughly 20 years and there are already 5(or 6?) Timothy Zahn books in there. I'd love to see Luke meeting Mara for example :)

+ There is one book (I don't now which one) also out of the Trawn era (Original Thrawn + his clone) in which Luke travels into the unknown regions to find an old Imperial base (where he has to fight with Mara) and in which it says that the Imperator predicted a great threat for the galaxy in the future (Yuuzhan Vong) and that the Imperium was already fighting their scouts in the unknown regions.

I never understood why people hated the medichlorians thing so much. It at least gives it some kind of scientific reasoning opposed to "It's magic"

Life after death, communicating with ghosts, extra sensory perception, hypnosis, telekinesis, shooting lighting out of one's fingertips... these are all phenomena associated with the force. How is it that someone dumps in this idea of microscopic organisms and the force is all of a sudden any less 'magical' and more 'scientific' than without that idea?

@kavoven: Reading up on Mara I found that LucasArts always had a say in the storyline. I'd bet they will have a say in the episode 7 storylines too.

@Max: I think it's because the force literally isn't spiritual anymore. It became this explainable constant and thus dispelling anything around it. I don't care too much though. I didn't even know people were really that nitpicky. Although there is a reason why Lucas wasn't so happy about some of the Star Wars fan base. But then again I can relate to the "Han Shot First" issue...

Life after death, communicating with ghosts, extra sensory perception, hypnosis, telekinesis, shooting lighting out of one's fingertips... these are all phenomena associated with the force. How is it that someone dumps in this idea of microscopic organisms and the force is all of a sudden any less 'magical' and more 'scientific' than without that idea?

Probably because the unknown gives us a higher sense of anticipation and keeps us in a state of wonder -we want to believe in things and forces outside the bounds of science and reason. Unless of course, the explanation is original and clever ie. The Matrix. I had no idea how they were pulling off all of those supranatural stunts and when the reveal came: well it blew me away because I just never saw it coming. That being reality was not reality but an artificially induced one that could be manipulated by the users brain once they realised they were in it -brilliant!

All that magic died sadly in the sequels in which "magic" was also possible outside of The Matrix -the first movie was tight and complete and should have happily died there.

Guys, it's Star Wars, not Shakespeare. It's a romp designed for 12 year old minds :) as such, you should watch them with the outlook of a 12 year old, not a 30-40-something year old. That's always been the real problem, the needy child-men who cannot grasp that Star Wars has always been ridiculous.

Yeap, the homested theme, genocide of an entire planet, a sexy slave outfit, jabba the hutt, severing of limbs, these are things for children....

Just like decapitation, political speeches and lectures, implied rape and all that.

Edited by NodUnit

The fact that there is a reason behind it makes it more scientific to me. For example, if someone asks me how the force works, I can now answer with "these symbiotic micro-organisms live in a person's blood stream which give them unique abilities." Now beyond that I can't really explain anything but at least this allows someone to draw a more precise picture of what is going on and why they are able to have these abilities. Now we have eliminated the possibility of pure magic, a secret organ, the soul, etc. Compare the answer to the "how the force works question" post-Episode I to the pre-Episode I answer which is "I don't know. It just does". Just remember that everything you know about the universe breaks down in a similar way once you ask one too many "whys". At some point you have to say "it just does". Science allows you to keep pushing the number of whys it takes to reach that point higher and higher. That is what the midi-chlorian answer did. For me anyway.

Thank you for challenging me on that one. You really had me doing some deep thinking.

Edited by Jakerod

Guys, it's Star Wars, not Shakespeare. It's a romp designed for 12 year old minds :) as such, you should watch them with the outlook of a 12 year old, not a 30-40-something year old. That's always been the real problem, the needy child-men who cannot grasp that Star Wars has always been ridiculous.

Telling people to grow up in a video game forum is irony incarnate. :rolleyes:

I still think Star Wars is better than Shakespeare anyways...

@Max: I think it's because the force literally isn't spiritual anymore. It became this explainable constant and thus dispelling anything around it. I don't care too much though. I didn't even know people were really that nitpicky. Although there is a reason why Lucas wasn't so happy about some of the Star Wars fan base. But then again I can relate to the "Han Shot First" issue...

My point is no matter how many middle men you put in between magical powers and the magician, the more scientific it does not get.

The fact that there is a reason behind it makes it more scientific to me. For example, if someone asks me how the force works, I can now answer with "these symbiotic micro-organisms live in a person's blood stream which give them unique abilities." Now beyond that I can't really explain anything but at least this allows someone to draw a more precise picture of what is going on and why they are able to have these abilities. Now we have eliminated the possibility of pure magic, a secret organ, the soul, etc. Compare the answer to the "how the force works question" post-Episode I to the pre-Episode I answer which is "I don't know. It just does". Just remember that everything you know about the universe breaks down in a similar way once you ask one too many "whys". At some point you have to say "it just does". Science allows you to keep pushing the number of whys it takes to reach that point higher and higher. That is what the midi-chlorian answer did. For me anyway.

Thank you for challenging me on that one. You really had me doing some deep thinking.

I disagree. It does not give you a more precise idea of what is going on, it only gives you some pseudoscience to grip onto because magic is some how out of fashion but space operas with sword play, princesses, and dark knights aren't for some reason. It's just pandering. It's like, 'oh, the force isn't magic. It's just microscopic organisms... with... magical... powers...' I guess they needed that scene because the Jedi council, despite being an army of magical warriors that recruits magical children, are quite skeptical when it comes to claims of magical children elsewhere :/ Back in the old days, you know, the future, jedi could that information by feeling how strong the force is with someone. They didn't need to test it the same way one would test for diabetes.

Edited by Max Power

I disagree. It does not give you a more precise idea of what is going on, it only gives you some pseudoscience to grip onto because magic is some how out of fashion but space operas with sword play, princesses, and dark knights aren't for some reason. It's just pandering. It's like, 'oh, the force isn't magic. It's just microscopic organisms... with... magical... powers...' I guess they needed that scene because the Jedi council, despite being an army of magical warriors that recruits magical children, are quite skeptical when it comes to claims of magical children elsewhere :/ Back in the old days, you know, the future, jedi could that information by feeling how strong the force is with someone. They didn't need to test it the same way one would test for diabetes.

I think this whole issue errupted, like with every other movie recently, when writers decided to start having characters look right at the camera and explain things in the movie. It's kind of like an insult to the audiences intelligence and imagination. Everything is spoon-fed to the audience these days so why not make everything explainable. Such as the civilain pilot in prometheus after having been on an alien planet for barely a day and having no idea what anything they've found is so far say "this is a military installation".

mmmmm space diabetes!!!

Telling people to grow up in a video game forum is irony incarnate. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that, I said the opposite :)

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Yeap, the homested theme, genocide of an entire planet, a sexy slave outfit, jabba the hutt, severing of limbs, these are things for children....

Just like decapitation, political speeches and lectures, implied rape and all that.

You've never read any children's stories? Grimm? Dahl? :)

I didn't say that, I said the opposite :)

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

You've never read any children's stories? Grimm? Dahl? :)

Don't tell him what age Tolkins "The Hobbit" was for :)

Relevant xkcd. :)

Let's not start on Prometheus. I thought the storyline was plain awful. Though apparently the directors cut fixes some things...

But I agree. Even though sometimes I have a hard time following more complex movies, I like having to stay concentrated and still miss some things.

Relevant xkcd. :)

Let's not start on Prometheus. I thought the storyline was plain awful. Though apparently the directors cut fixes some things...

I saw Prometheus for the first time just last night. Gawd, so many glaring idiocies :( which is a great shame, I was REALLY looking forward to it.

But I agree. Even though sometimes I have a hard time following more complex movies, I like having to stay concentrated and still miss some things.

Inception showed everyone that you don't have to treat the audience like idiots to generate lots of money from a blockbuster :) (They just choose to....)

I say we need Thrawn in the new movies... if Disney fails, they'll fail massively.

I still think Star Wars is better than Shakespeare anyways...
Combine Shakespear with Sir Patrick Steward and nothing that has "Wars" in it's title name can beat it. You have to read Hamlet in the klingon original to really understand it....The curtain is up, the play has begun.

My point is no matter how many middle men you put in between magical powers and the magician, the more scientific it does not get.

It does get less magical, though. Nothing wrong with science in itself, if it doesn't kill the magic.

star wars 6 allready looks like a movie from disney, there is only one difference between lucas and disney, in disney films they allways sing some songs... so i am strained what song darth vader will sing in star wars 7...

The thread was dead and bumped for no reason, let's leave it on the grave.