Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 98443 (1.62 MP compatible build, post 1.62 release)

Here's a workaround... I found out by chance (again).

When you're starting to have a slow down, pause the game a ALT-TAB to return to desktop, wait for a few secs (when I did this, I wanted to look at Task manager and look at the performance tab, after the CPU usage 'graphs' return to idle, I return to the game)

When you return to the game, it should play smoothly for a few secs and then another slow down probably occur, if it does, pause and ALT-TAB again, then wait for a few secs and return to the game. For me twice is enough... and I can play smoothly all-day. I have tested restart the game and it still play smoothly... but I havent tested after restarting the PC...

Now the question... does this means something? memory leak? some other things? or the game didnt start properly and needed some more time to initialize everything needed to initialize? Obviously I have no idea, but so far it works for me for at least 2 hours now... And no mods... pure vanilla + beta 98443

Nice little tip that.:)

At the moment lagging does not seem to be an issue with me, but should it start to happen, I’ll try that tip first..;)

Do please remember it's a workaround, not a fix. So it might not 100% reliable... I also found out that it may not work on complex/large mission.

Do please remember it's a workaround, not a fix. So it might not 100% reliable... I also found out that it may not work on complex/large mission.

With this series everything’s a workaround...;)

Changing ammo in the AS50 seems dodgy. AS50 bullets seem to do 5 X the damage of M107 rounds. Please see video:

wF-nHgqYd98

Saw something similar with FN-FAL (weird damage fluctuations) but couldn't repro.

well im playing with quite a few mods enabled, on a custom terrain.

but every time the slow down appears there is enemy armor firing at me.

but my first tought was it had something to do with the amount of sound samples.

Just gut feel here, but I think it is armour related. These last two betas make it so hard to test, as I have to Alt-Tab and kill Arma2. Worse still I have had to fully reboot a couple of times. Would be nice if we had an idea of what was changed so that we could look for things in particular.

It has happened to me only using AI, and i have had Vehicles also, but i was giving a command or they where executing one. This is in MP COOP, other players did not have the issue, they didnt have AI. Shows up in MP for me after hours of play...

I too am getting this issue - switching back to 98148 seems to solve it. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it, but it always seems to be while vehicles are involved. For example, I can't play the BAF single mission which begins with you launching the javelin then radioing your support without freezes after the javelin is fired and when the tanks are aware. It's completely smooth before that happens.

What I mean by that is, the game will freeze for periods of 2, maybe 3 seconds at a time. Maybe as long as 5 seconds. I don't see this behaviour in any other patch/version and it is definitely related to the latest beta's improvements - must be AI related. It's not a slowdown in framerate - the game just stops then restarts after a few seconds. I can field hundreds of infantry AI and I don't get this problem. Something's broken somewhere!

I am also getting some weird heavy stuttering/pauses. Didnt get that with CWR2 mod where I worked with quite light missions, but now when I try to play my Zub-mission´s outro cutscene, the game begin to pause heavily during it (at the same spot, when there is quite much AI already spawned from different factions - CDF, NAPA, ACR, Insurgents). Before it was working smooth, now I get those freeze pauses with muted sound during that.

Edit: There is much vehicles involved at the moment when the freezing starts. Insurgent UAZ-MG drives through forest with unit capture function and I think once it sees the enemy (CZ vehicles, infantry), the freezing starts. But there is also planes and tanks at distance, so I am not fully sure what triggers off that issue.

Edit2: Ah, sure here is the specs: Win7 64bit, i7-2600K (HT on, default clocks), 8gt DDR1200, HD6870 (quite new drivers).

Edit3: Restarted now game, the stuttering didnt happen in the old spot (in that cutscene), but sometime later. Again forcing to exit back to editor. The stuttering ends immediately when pressing esc to see menu, but comes back when returning to game (cutscene).

Edited by SaOk

Hello,

I just want to report that with this patch 98443 I did not notice any unusual performance issues.

Tested with vanilla OA only.

For parity sake we should make listing specs/drivers etc a standard for Betas. One person stating major issues while another stating no problems has got to make it hard for process by elimination :)

Hello,

I just want to report that with this patch 98443 I did not notice any unusual performance issues.

Tested with vanilla OA only.

These freezes happen in some specific situations only. You can play many hours without freezes until this specific situation happens. I had two situations during MP CTI game yesterday. I played couple hours without slowdowns before that.

First freeze I got when my BRDM2 started to attack LAV25 and LAV25 started to shoot back to BRDM2. I also had few my soldiers around (AT, marksman, machinegunner). FPS dropped off significantly during this fight until my BRDM2 was damaged and crew left the BRDM2 and then fps returned back. I'm not sure if my infantry were attacking LAV25 too but they were in attack distance. I stayed close to BRDM2 during this fight.

Second freeze completely hung my computer and I had to terminate ARMA2 from task manager. The situation happened when my BMP2 started to attack few enemy soldiers. Enemy soldiers had AT. I was about 500m away from this fight.

Edited by Vipera

While the AT infantrymen are getting better with picking off armoured targets, the armoured targets itself should be taught properly also. They should learn to engage stand off away from the infantry... not charging through as if trying to run them over instead...

Or maybe I set up my armour wrong? I just put a guard WP at them, and they just gladly trying to run the infantries over.... until they got picked off by a SMAW

People: Suma has posted a new beta with a diagnostic tool, and kju and I have posted logs in an attempt to pinpoint the issue. If you can, please also run the tool and report back to the ticket (and vote!):

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/60304

With Suma and kju on the job, I think the issue will be resolved soon! :cool: :D Fingers crossed!

The beta is NOT for general use; for testing only!

Have been following the dev-heaven thread with interest. Good find kju et al. and thanks for the hard work.

EDIT: Just tried the latest beta 98726 ... still no good. MASSIVE slowdowns still.

Edited by Kremator

EDIT: Just tried the latest beta 98726 ... still no good. MASSIVE slowdowns still.

98726 isn't meant to fix the problem, only debug it. :)