Sign in to follow this  
MisTyK

Windows 8 : Will you buy it ?

Will u buy Windows 8 ( for main OS )  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will u buy Windows 8 ( for main OS )

• Yes, it will be mine !
    • No, nothing new / bad UI.
    • other ( please specify )

We already know, Arma 2 and Arrowhead are well running under windows 8 but are you staying with you actual OS ?

ArmA 3 should run on both OS ( W7 / W8, but not on previous system like XP )

The pool: Will you buy it ?

Yes/No

- What are you actual OS

- Why change to W8 ?

For me:

Not buy it.

- Windows 7 Home 64bits

- I got W8 PRO 64bits oem DVD ( computer assembly shop )

Tested but no reason to change W7 to W8.

ps: didnt know how make a pool, so if its pertinent, im ok for editing post by admin.

I have bought it and I love it.

I don't like Metro on non-touch screen devices but that problem is easily alleviated with Stardock's Start8.

I love Win 7 but 8 is a great upgrade and my only real reservation is that it is probably a year (or more) too soon.

I say that because Microsoft's only 'mistake' with Win 7 is that it was too good and Win 8 could have definitely landed further down the road to a more favorable reception.

Having said that, the $499.00 Surface sold out in less than 24 hours so people are obviously not as gun-shy as the press implies they are.

Whether you stick with Win 7 or migrate to Win 8, I don't think it matters much.

Win 7 will be supported for a long time although MS did announce that there would be no SP2 and that indicates to me that they are concentrating on Win 8 and beyond.

Edited by BangTail

No, I'll keep my Win 7 for a few more years. I'm happy with my Premium 64 bits.

Windows 7 Pro x64 here.

I could get Win 8 Pro for free as a student (in fact I already downloaded it) but the whole metro ui idea really turns me off. My PC is running fine so I guess I´ll wait until I see some Benchmarks.

Most definitely. Win 8 rocks. I've been running all the previews, and the RTM since the internal/MSDN release back in August.

StartScreen is awesome, even on Desktop machines. I barely touch the start screen during work, and when I do I simply start typing the application I need.

Metro Apps in general are less interesting me, but let's see when the really cool apps arrive :) The new Skype app seems descent!

On top of all that, performance is superb, especially also startup and shutdown. Also Ribbon in Windows Explorer rocks.

And although I missed Aero glass on window borders at the very beginning, I don't miss them anymore and welcome the more dull but less attention-asking approach.

Personally I also can't wait to get a Surface Pro or comparable device, and of course the Nokia Lumia 920 with WP8 :)

Ehr.. Current OS... Windows 8 (was 7 before the 8 previews), and for the why's... read up :p

IMO the Metro UI and StartScreen complaints are way way exaggerated and another example of shooting down what you don't know, or aren't used to yet.

I love Win 7 but 8 is a great upgrade and my only real reservation is that it is probably a year (or more) too soon.

I say that because Microsoft's only 'mistake' with Win 7 is that it was too good and Win 8 could have definitely landed further down the road to a more favorable reception.

Good points Edited by Sickboy

Still running WinXP Home edition since 2008, without any system reinstalling all this time. So I don't see any reason to change OS since XP works fine for me.

BTW I've tried Win8 interface on another PC and it was like nightmare for me. Totally useless without touchscreen.

I finally left my WinXP a few months ago to go for Win7, I think I will skip Win8 the same way I skipped Vista. Unless Win8 proves to be really good in terms of performance improvements, there is really no point for me to get it. I don't need some fancy new gimmicks and streamlined, more basic-user-friendly interface, I just want my system to run smoothly and to have full control over my PC.

I'm quite happy with Win7 64, even if i had some problem to install SP1. Not sure i want to change once again, as long as i can avoid it.

I'm in no big rush to get it, If my current rig can't run Arma 3 well I'll invest in a new PC which I'm sure will come with W8

Going by my previous rigs never keeping up with OFP/Arma I think I will have to start saving ;)

I use Windows 7 64bits and am very happy with it. For someone who mostly browse the internet, watch movies and play video games on his computer, is Windows 8 better? I really don't care about the fancy stuff, I only look for perfomances.

Currently running the windows 8 preview 64 bit after an HD loss and liking it a lot , microsoft are offering windows 8 for £20 if you upgrade from xp , so I am going to run the preview then reload an old genuine xp os and upgrade , otherwise I would have gone straight to 7 full money.

Source

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

Edited by Thromp

If there was a way to get Win8 without all the GUI "improvements" (I don't mean just Metro here) I would upgrade, especially considering I could get it for free via DreamSpark.

Possibly, if I buy a pad.

But not for a PC.

I'm planning on buying Windows 7 for my next desktop.

I have no need for Windows 8 at the moment - let alone with that UI. Windows 7 is satisfying enough.

Currently the only reason I would even consider changing OS would be a new DirectX (12) version, and of course games to utilize it. Frankly, I don't see any future where games would require DirectX 11.1 at this moment.

Im sticking with Vista until its stops being supported.

All I want from windows 8 is the improved task manager.

Nope, I dont see the advantage using windows 8 without a touchscreen and 4-5 seconds faster booting time is really not that much. At the end after some months or years, every new windows system was used by the masses. I remember when people said, they wont change to Vista/Win7 from XP. ;)

They need to introduce new products for higher turnovers, if you need all this is another question.

By the way, with a touchscreen you have your nose into your screen how can be this comfortable. I need at least half a meter distance between the screen and my eyes, esepcially with bigger screens.

Edited by oxmox

Most definitely. Win 8 rocks. I've been running all the previews, and the RTM since the internal/MSDN release back in August.

StartScreen is awesome, even on Desktop machines. I barely touch the start screen during work, and when I do I simply start typing the application I need.

Metro Apps in general are less interesting me, but let's see when the really cool apps arrive :) The new Skype app seems descent!

On top of all that, performance is superb, especially also startup and shutdown. Also Ribbon in Windows Explorer rocks.

And although I missed Aero glass on window borders at the very beginning, I don't miss them anymore and welcome the more dull but less attention-asking approach.

Personally I also can't wait to get a Surface Pro or comparable device, and of course the Nokia Lumia 920 with WP8 :)

Ehr.. Current OS... Windows 8 (was 7 before the 8 previews), and for the why's... read up :p

IMO the Metro UI and StartScreen complaints are way way exaggerated and another example of shooting down what you don't know, or aren't used to yet.

Good points

Calling bollox. Why pay 499$ if I have fully functional OS which satisfies my needs?

Win7 X64 Ultimate

Tried Win8 PRE and dropped it, mostly due to bad UI. Under the hood its Win7 with rewrites here and there. Save your money chaps, use your brains.

Cheers.

Sofar I haven't seen anything which would make me think of switching to windows 8.

There's only one input system I hate even more than I do touchpads and that is the touchscreen.

While there may be people buying into the it's better because it's different line of thinking, I'm getting sick and tired of all these so called UI-improvements focused on phones and tablets. Tablets are toys and nobody uses them to get any serious work done, why should I be happy to turn 27inch screen into a toy-ui? Yes I know, you can tweak everything so it works like it should, but why should I have to tweak it in the first place? They can scream about the demise of the pc all they want, but for the foreseeable future pc's are here to stay. Good luck developing your "Appz" on a tablet.

Btw this is not just a gripe with windows 8, but with all the major OS (guis), including Mac and on linux Ubuntu(unity).

Not buying it. Windows 7, 64-bit gives me all I need. Anyways, I don't like to touch my screen on the glass-panel either. Keeps stuff more clean, then leaving my fingerprints on it..

Why would i pay for a new OS just to spend time on tweaking it to look like my current OS :confused:

I liked my Windows XP but directx/games forced me to upgrade, i guess i'll upgrade again when i'm forced too :(

Sofar I haven't seen anything which would make me think of switching to windows 8.

There's only one input system I hate even more than I do touchpads and that is the touchscreen.

While there may be people buying into the it's better because it's different line of thinking, I'm getting sick and tired of all these so called UI-improvements focused on phones and tablets. Tablets are toys and nobody uses them to get any serious work done, why should I be happy to turn 27inch screen into a toy-ui? Yes I know, you can tweak everything so it works like it should, but why should I have to tweak it in the first place? They can scream about the demise of the pc all they want, but for the foreseeable future pc's are here to stay. Good luck developing your "Appz" on a tablet.

Btw this is not just a gripe with windows 8, but with all the major OS (guis), including Mac and on linux Ubuntu(unity).

Fully agree.

Calling bollox. Why pay 499$ if I have fully functional OS which satisfies my needs?
Calling bollox on your bollox :D Pay 499 for what exactly?? :P

$499? Seriously? It is ~$100 for Win 8 and ~$145 for Win 8 Pro.

Secondly, if you already bought a copy of Win 7 (Between June 7th 2012 and January 31st 2013), you can register it here http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US and get Windows 8 for next to nothing.

Edited by BangTail

I'm gonna walk like a boss past Win8,not going to support their closed system especially since they got it so right with W7 Ultimate only to drop this crap now.

Will wait until Win9 and if they keep continuing this path I might even eye that unfriendly bastard Linux when they'll drop support for W7.

Calling bollox on your bollox :D Pay 499 for what exactly?? :P

Ah I wasn't checking prices...someone said 499$ and I just wrote it.

Actually its 39,99$ as stated here. Not sure if thats only for US or not. Its and upgrade actually.

Im not getting it anyway even if they gave it for free, I hope you understand what I mean by saying that. And I still calling bollox all you said about it, but its a personal preference. If you like it, you go for it, Ill stick with WIn7. Win8 doesn't even look like PC platform, its more for tablets and I hate those things, and anything that has anything to do with it, including touch screen mobiles and alike.

Was asked for feedback, and I delivered it.

Edit: Funny thing is they are selling it already in local stores, by insane prices of around 180-200 euros for Win8 Pro X64 OEM licence. Whats the deal with that I dont know. Microsoft selling it for 70$ and locals for 200?

Edited by _MaSSive

Windows 8 isn't closed. Only their Surface tablet is.

I have a $15 upgrade license for W8 as I bought a W7 laptop recently and plan on using it soonish.

From what I've read, aside from the horrid Metro interface, Windows 8 improves on Windows 7's explorer, is overall "leaner" and boots much more quickly.