Sign in to follow this  
pd3

Diverging from windows in the event of microsoft forcing proprietary storefront?

There has been a recent furor regarding Microsoft's plan to force Steam off their OS, theoretically forcing developers to sell through Microsoft's own proposed storefront business.

I personally find this terrible for many reasons, not the least of which being that it may further taint consumer demographics (and development of future BI products). And I support Steam's mandate to opt for the Linux platform in the event it becomes a reality.

The big question is will BI follow?

I'm not saying that BI would necessarily have to abandon windows, however I think Microsoft is tempted to go down a road that is particularly awful for longtime consumers.

I use windows, as I think most do on the basis of accessibility, and that accessibility and market diversity is seriously threatened at this point.

I believe if there were enough developers serious about venturing into the Linux market with their software, it may well change the industry as we know it.

Honestly, I would love nothing more than a lightweight operating system for PC gaming, and it seems like that time may come.

I believe this gambit played by microsoft is just "TCPA Lite", only this time its masquerading as a content delivery system.

Demographically I think such a future would be horrible for this company and the direction it may take if WGX or Windows 8 store, or whatever that garbage is, becomes the sole means by which people purchase BI games.

Personally for me, if Microsoft does go through with this, whether BI follows suit or not, my next PC will probably be the last Windows based PC I ever own.

I cannot see how MS could force the selling of software only through their store. There is a HUGE online software market, not just games but every kind of software. To essentially force the entire world's online software market to operate through MS store would be idiotic. I can't see this happening.

The whole thing is exaggerated and as others have stated, the store limitation is only on Windows Phone/RT, just like with competitors like Apple's iOS, or similar practices in Console land.

Also as with any downsides, there are also upsides including super easy browsing, installation and updating of software, quality control/assurance, and a single user experience.

The question remains if rooting will be possible, and if it is useful.

The whole Steam thing is probably part of Steam's marketing strategy to get people going for their own in development hardware system, and alternative (linux) software system ;-)

Would be quite something for Steam wouldn't it? Bringing the hardcore games to Linux and basically having their own monopoly then ? :P

Although they of course have a point in regards to monopoly abuse, with Microsoft's store being pre-installed.

Also IMO Steam and Windows Store each have their own target audience. There is some overlap but I see Steam as a serious Games platform and Windows Store as an App and basic game store for Windows 8 Apps (aka Metro).

Edited by Sickboy

Interesting to see that today Microsoft backed down on barring 'Adult themed' games from their new app store. I think that they realised that this would be a huge mistake.

With regard to Steam, I take anything that Gabe says with a pinch of salt. They have got the Steam store so locked tight with their terms and conditions that they are hardly the champions of the consumer.

It does annoy me that everyone is desperately trying to create their own monopoly and it will be interesting to see how licence deals are struck in the future between publishers and the likes of Microsoft, Steam, Origin, Uplay etc. Already we have seen people pull out of Steam to distribute on their own service (and therefore at the price of their choosing) so things are already becoming more closed and offering less choice. Although Steam are now running the 'Green Light' system I suspect that this is a sweetener for bitter pill that is to follow.

As usual interesting times ahead, but I can only see that it is us (the consumer) that will be left with fewer choices.

I doubt they would port to Linux and use OpenGL, even though OpenGL is better then DirectX. This is why Valve will always be magnitudes better in my books then Bohemia.

There's little worry about MS attempting to control the games software market by limiting OS use to only games they sell through their store. The fear is an absurdity.. :cool: