Sign in to follow this  
soldier2390

U.S. Military Tractor-Trailer Addons (WIP)

city life have a truck and trailer working maybe look at there config also 18 wheeler truck from ofp look at that config 2 different ways to get the same goal.

I have trailers uk style 12 wheels on the trailer 10 different types just place holders at the moment till i can sort the configs and animations out but all info will be in those 2 configs.

there is loads of uv mapping progs out there for quick and easy mapping.

city life have a truck and trailer working maybe look at there config also 18 wheeler truck from ofp look at that config 2 different ways to get the same goal.

I have trailers uk style 12 wheels on the trailer 10 different types just place holders at the moment till i can sort the configs and animations out but all info will be in those 2 configs.

there is loads of uv mapping progs out there for quick and easy mapping.

You are very helpful SmokeDog, thanks!

Also Nodunit has sent me the new UV-Maps and I am almost done with the new Textures.

I will post pictures later! So far no progress to the scripts or animations, or anything else for that matter.

Dave,

Hello everyone, a small WIP Pic: http://s829.beta.photobucket.com/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2012-11-1517-32-21-99.png.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2012-11-1517-32-21-99.png.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=135301915081407257309197967656

It shows the new textures I made thanks to the UV-Maps and base Texture made by NodUnit...thanks alot for that one bro, which to me are getting pretty good! Just a few small things messed up in the Shadow LODs so for that picture I disabled shadows in-game. Will fix them errors tonite.

A few people I know have the updated stuff and they agree to help me with scripts, but I am going to need alot of help anyways. So if anyone can help with anything please let me know.

Dave,

no worries mate the configs can be a bitch I have a few that work that I just alter to what ever I need I used the same config for most of my addon packs walls\ objects are pretty simple its vehicles and animations I have hassles with.

this is the ofp 18 wheeler ported to arma2 but both use diffrent methods 1 locks the cab and trailer using scripts the city life uses geometry to hook up and pin locks it together.

this is the goal for both of us

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

Hey looking good, glad to see the UV mapped has helped you. One small suggestion for the bed and the ramps though texturwise. You may want to think about adding a thatch grid pattern along the bed so, here is a tutorial if you would like to explore that. http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/cb/brushed-metal.html From the rear the effect normal mapped would look excellent especially when driving along a twisting road, if need help in understanding the normal map just let me know.

You could also do something similar with the ramps and add little round extrusions, this would give the visual effect that cargo would have something to catch on during the loading process. http://defense-update.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/jrads_lower.jpg

Oh and I see that you are going for a worn appearance, an effect you may want to explore then is adding scratches to a few random places but mostly corners, along the bed, generally area's with a lot of interaction. I can't find the tutorial I was looking for but the gyst is you take a 1 pixel large brush (color being a silvery grey, not white) on a new layer and brush a few strokes, or brush a small cipped area with a few scratches extending from it.

The reason you go with grey is because you don't want the white sticking out all the time, instead you want to let the specular map indicate the reflection on the naked metal..oh and don't go too crazy, overdoing this can actually be detrimental to the texture.

Also if you are using the model I sent you as the shadows then you need to seal up the backsides of the support framing, open faces will cause shadow errors.

no worries mate the configs can be a bitch I have a few that work that I just alter to what ever I need I used the same config for most of my addon packs walls\ objects are pretty simple its vehicles and animations I have hassles with.

this is the ofp 18 wheeler ported to arma2 but both use diffrent methods 1 locks the cab and trailer using scripts the city life uses geometry to hook up and pin locks it together.

this is the goal for both of us

Lol same here, but since I dont totally understand configs and its strict rules I still tend to mess things up. Could I send you the Addon as it is now and you can try to fix my config or if you know anything about other parts of Addons feel free to cut lose on it, please?

Hey looking good, glad to see the UV mapped has helped you. One small suggestion for the bed and the ramps though texturwise. You may want to think about adding a thatch grid pattern along the bed so, here is a tutorial if you would like to explore that. http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/cb/brushed-metal.html From the rear the effect normal mapped would look excellent especially when driving along a twisting road, if need help in understanding the normal map just let me know.

You could also do something similar with the ramps and add little round extrusions, this would give the visual effect that cargo would have something to catch on during the loading process. http://defense-update.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/jrads_lower.jpg

Oh and I see that you are going for a worn appearance, an effect you may want to explore then is adding scratches to a few random places but mostly corners, along the bed, generally area's with a lot of interaction. I can't find the tutorial I was looking for but the gyst is you take a 1 pixel large brush (color being a silvery grey, not white) on a new layer and brush a few strokes, or brush a small cipped area with a few scratches extending from it.

The reason you go with grey is because you don't want the white sticking out all the time, instead you want to let the specular map indicate the reflection on the naked metal..oh and don't go too crazy, overdoing this can actually be detrimental to the texture.

Also if you are using the model I sent you as the shadows then you need to seal up the backsides of the support framing, open faces will cause shadow errors.

Hmm that all sounds good, I will look into that but still if you could help me understand that would be great and the normal maps? Also did you get the updated model I sent you, I resized everything to its real life portions as somehow I accidently stretched the model sideways so from the front view it was stretched, but I fixed that so could you try out the new addon update I sent you please? Also for some reason parts of the new model that you sent me, that I edited, parts of the model of the geometry and fire lods dont work, can you look into that for me too?

Dave,

Edited by soldier2390

Go to your private messages and scroll down to Sent Items, see if it's there first (that will save you a good deal of frustration when sending things back and forth) if it's not I'll see if I can send what I have back your way.

You should use the same fire geometry you used last time, I don't know if there is a count limit or shading which if it worked with the original then I suggest you keep it to that, only use what I sent you as part of LOD0, not shadow, not geometry, just the visual LOD.

Just in case you aren't familiar with normal maps, they are special textures that influence the way the base texture is effected by a light source. Say for example you have the grating as diffuse, the image will remain the same regardless of angle to sun. However if you use a normal map then the shading will change as the angle to the sun does as well...here are a few examples to help clarrify. This is a normal map http://www.acumen-design.de/model_pics/wip/thewall/normalmap_try_tut2.jpg and this is what happens when that image is imposed over a simple, flat surface mesh http://www.acumen-design.de/model_pics/wip/thewall/normalmap_try_tut1.jpg This is why things such as the tires always have the same lighting properties when rolling, back also change based on the light source.

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap/ For now you will only want to read down to Tanget Basis, as there is a LOT to read and on the first go this stuff is confusing.

Here is a tutorial you may find helpful http://www.colacola.se/wip_ramjet_texture.htm it also covers creation of specular map (mentioned below)

You will also need to understand specular and reflection maps. Speuclar is quite simple, a greyscaled image where white is bare metal and black is the absense of light. http://www.colacola.se/pix/ramjet_texture_tut07.jpg Using this as an example, the grey paint area would reflect some light, but the white chips would reflect the most, and the black would reflection no light. Here it is in motion http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2422/stonerenderyy6.jpg you can see that the far upper road has reflective properties, but it's not ALL reflective, only parts. Here is another example from the Crysis SDK HMMWV, http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii468/saravanan_lks/hmmv_big1.jpg you can see in various parts the grey paint is chipped, but only towards the front, under the 999 and around the grating can you see the surface lit.

There other things to know, ambient shadow, reflection map..however this being your first time I'd hold off on these for a little bit so that you can get yourself familiar with what material you already have so you aren't overhwelmed. Post some pictures of the textures here by the way, afterall texture creation is part of the WIP process, and you can often get great suggestions and learn things when doing so.

Looks promissing, you should add a proper deisel engine sound to for this bad boy

I plan on it, I would need someone to make them sounds for me as I don't know how to do that!

Dave,

Hello Community,

I have made some good head way with this project finially, got the Ramp Animated and you can now drive Vehicles up onto the Trailer and "Strap It Down"!

It is far from Release yet but I am getting there. Any help would be appreciated. Specially with creating some Textures like the Normal Maps(.nohq) and the .smdi/other Detail Mapping Files and stuff plus the RVmats, as mine are causing me errors!

Also after messing with the uncompleted Scripts for the Trailer to turn as a Trailer should(as a Separate Object), I even got that working some what..though it does not look that pretty and will need to be fixed by a Addon Maker who knows what they are doing as I am basicly guessing at things.

PM me or Post on here if you can help, I can also use help in just about everything else!

Update Pictures: http://s829.beta.photobucket.com/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa_m931_normalmap1_zps07b513ee.png.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2013-02-1719-22-10-36_zps931ce39e.png.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=136114813185908326396917318216

Dave,

Great news Dave...like the progress you've been making. Keep it up.

Thanks bro ill hit you up with a copy asap if i dont forget!

Hey, I've been following your progress and I'm glad to see you're still working on it. I think that's awesome you're focusing on the logistical side of ArmA2 instead of the run and gun. Keep it up, we could help out each other later on. :wink:

I don't think the issue you are having has to do with the normal map unless you worked outside of normal parameters. http://joeyspijkers.com/images_tut/normalmapping/NormalRGB2.jpg The numbers follow from top to bottom; Red, Green, and Blue. If you have a color outside of this then you may run into problems.

But based on the glare it is more likely to be your specular map, or _smdi, and chances are that you need to darken that part of the texture to be more black than grey...remember, _smdi uses two channels, Green and Blue.

Green is the specular, greyscaled where black reflects no to little sunlight, and white reflects a great deal..think of concrete versus glass.

Blue is the Reflection, it too is greyscale but in the opposite manner..what is darker reflects more sunlight while what is lighter reflects less. I suggest you use mid to dark brown for the least reflective however, if you go full white then it begins having oddities of its own..

Lastly you have specular and specular power on the rvmat, the specular slider gives you the option to add extra or less power entirerly, and specular power controls the sharpness of the highlight. Gloss versus Matte, the lower the number the less intense and more spread out the reflection is..the higher it is, the more focused the 'hot spot' but can make flat paint look glossy instead.

Hello Everyone,

Though the model is not completely accurate to the Real thing, I am trying my best and so far here is the Tractor by itself! My hopes are to have someone make a script that will allow the ability to back a Tractor in a Trailer and be able to connect, wind up the Landing Gear and drive away. Then when wanted lower the Landing Gear, unhook from the Trailer then drive away! So any help with making that possible and or helping make the 3D model accurate as my skills in 3D modeling are very limited!

Pictures of the Tractor (WIP):

http://s829.beta.photobucket.com/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2013-02-2223-05-58-84_zpsaf6bc7a8.png.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2013-02-2223-05-58-84_zpsaf6bc7a8.png.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=136159330865107597638850666991

Sorry its not of decent quality.

@NodUnit I tried what you said (I think), and this is whats happening now - http://s829.beta.photobucket.com/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2013-02-2223-05-58-84_zpsaf6bc7a8.png.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2013-02-2223-09-46-54_zps124f406e.png.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=136159330865107597638850666991

Here is the RVMAT File that I am using for this Trailer:

ambient[]={0.83900028,0.8920002,0.85500026,1};
diffuse[]={0.83900028,0.8920002,0.85500026,1};
forcedDiffuse[]={0,0,0,0};
emmisive[]={0,0,0,1};
specular[]={1,0.99999994,0.9999997,1};
specularPower=30;
PixelShaderID="NormalMapDetailMacroASSpecularDIMap";
VertexShaderID="NormalMapAS";
class Stage1
{
texture="dk_m931_trucks\data\trailer_flatbed_nohq.paa";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={1,0,0};
	up[]={0,1,0};
	dir[]={0,0,1};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage2
{
texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0.5,0.5,1,DT)";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={1,0,0};
	up[]={0,1,0};
	dir[]={0,0,0};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage3
{
texture="#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,0,0,MC)";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={1,0,0};
	up[]={0,1,0};
	dir[]={0,0,0};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage4
{
texture="dk_m931_trucks\data\trailer_flatbed_as.paa";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={1,0,0};
	up[]={0,1,0};
	dir[]={0,0,1};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage5
{
texture="dk_m931_trucks\data\trailer_flatbed_smdi.paa";
uvSource="tex";
class uvTransform
{
	aside[]={1,0,0};
	up[]={0,1,0};
	dir[]={0,0,1};
	pos[]={0,0,0};
};
};
class Stage6 { 
   	texture="#(ai,64,64,1)fresnel(2.68,3.69)"; 
   	uvSource="tex"; 
   	class uvTransform 
{ 
       	aside[]={1,0,0}; 
       	up[]={0,1,0}; 
       	dir[]={0,0,0}; 
       	pos[]={0,0,0}; 
   	}; 
}; 
class Stage7 { 
   	texture="ca\data\env_land_co.paa"; 
   	uvSource="tex"; 
   	class uvTransform 
   	{ 
      		aside[]={1,0,0}; 
       	up[]={0,1,0}; 
       	dir[]={0,0,0}; 
       	pos[]={0,0,0}; 
   	}; 
};

Dave,

Change this

PixelShaderID="NormalMapDetailMacroASSpecularDIMap";

VertexShaderID="NormalMapAS";

To this

PixelShaderID="Super";

VertexShaderID="Super";

So Dave- did you figure out a way to simulate the trailer following the cab section as it does in real life, or is it still a setup where the trailer is "attachTo" the cab?

I know this "wish" has been out there for quite a while, even back in OFP days, but didn't know if someone knew of a work around or a solution that they had helped you out with.

Hey Raptor,

As of right now i am still using the old scripts deanosbeano made for me back in Arma1 and as evident to anyone who remembers the vid he uploaded...he actually had it working but before he could send me that update he had a compuuter crash or something and lost them updated/working scripts. However i was luckey enough to find older none complete/not working currectly scripts he had before he fixed them and i am currently trying to teach myself Scripting so i can fix these and so far i got them to work slightely but they need someone with proper Scripting Skills to complete them as i have kinda got something working but its not as smooth and sexy looking as deanosbeano had them working in that video he posted back in Arma1 which are same Scripts as i am using now but they actually worked!

I am making progress tho i did beable to get a vehicle to drive up on the trailer(as i made Animations for the Ramp) and lock them in place, but i used someone elses script for a test and too learn how it worked but i plan to create my own but i may ask the creater(a well respected member here) if i could use his scripts if not i am going to try to make my own just needed an example to teach myself.

@mc sonar, thanks man posts like that is what really helps me. Without motivation i still wouldnt be trying to get this out for you guys since Arma1 came out ;)

Dave,

Well that is a good sign, everything is showing but not quite right.

Change the whole top section to this-

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

specular[]={1,0.99215686,0.90980393,0};

specularPower=125;

PixelShaderID="Super";

VertexShaderID="Super";

class Stage1

{

Well that is a good sign, everything is showing but not quite right.

Change the whole top section to this-

ambient[]={1,1,1,1};

diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};

emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

specular[]={1,0.99215686,0.90980393,0};

specularPower=125;

PixelShaderID="Super";

VertexShaderID="Super";

class Stage1

{

Still not working! Though it did make some difference http://s829.beta.photobucket.com/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2013-02-2316-10-17-31_zps41f84daa.png.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/Soldier2390/media/DK_M931_Trucks/arma2oa2013-02-2423-30-28-32_zps9cd88de5.png.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=1361766789143040620131917962093