DanWelch

Arma 2 israel map project wip.

@FelixK44 MSO??

Multi Session Operations, it's a multiplayer mission where it generates tasks, enemies, etc. dynamically using positions on the map. I don't know much about world creation but most DLC islands aren't setup correctly and don't have any of these areas put in the island.

_strategic = ["Strategic","StrongpointArea","FlatArea","FlatAreaCity","FlatAreaCitySmall","CityCenter","Airport"];

_military = ["HQ","FOB","Heliport","Artillery","AntiAir","City","Strongpoint","Depot","Storage"];

_names = ["NameMarine","NameCityCapital","NameCity","NameVillage","NameLocal","fakeTown"];

_hills = ["Hill","ViewPoint","RockArea","BorderCrossing","VegetationBroadleaf","VegetationFir","VegetationPalm","VegetationVineyard"];

I will look into it and research more on MSO to see what possibilities there are and how to make the map compatible. I dont know much about MSO at the moment so It might be something implemented in a future update.

If you would, as help for me, find out exactly what needs to be placed into a map for it to be compatible with MSO. This would be of great help. I understand so far that location names must be present as you have shown here, I have already been doing this in the map. So it should not be a problem.

Edited by DanWelch

I will look into it and research more on MSO to see what possibilities there are and how to make the map compatible. I dont know much about MSO at the moment so It might be something implemented in a future update.

If you would, as help for me, find out exactly what needs to be placed into a map for it to be compatible with MSO. This would be of great help. I understand so far that location names must be present as you have shown here, I have already been doing this in the map. So it should not be a problem.

Well, another important thing is that the bottom left corner coordinates are 0,0,0 then the location names that I listed.

it is 0,0,0 in this map and I am already naming areas by the classnames.

The only thing that can be done is to try it when the 1st release comes out and see if it works from the beginning.

Regarding walls and fences etc, Will there be options for AI easily navigate through them? AI get stuck on fencelines with no gaps or gaps that are too far and few in between.

There will be some areas of the fenceline that are not as "secure" so AI wont become even more stupid than they already are :)

Well, creating gaps for a mission-specific purpose is not that hard (at least as long as the fence object has a classname so it can be found with nearObjects and the likes). Overall, though, I'd rather see the border more true-to-live, as again those who truly want AI to be able to cross freely can simply create gaps with a script. Maybe even include a module with the mod that will run a script that does just that to make things easier for non-scripters.

I see your point, not to mention using ACE wire cutters is also an option for mission makers. I was thinking to my self the same thing "Why would I deliberately want to place holes in a well secured security fence?" I will leave it to the scripting and mission makers to do this on their own.

Edited by DanWelch

Will you map feature mostly flat, desert terrain? The life photo shows some really harsh landscape, probably from all that bulldozing.

I will explain.

1. I have added hills and dunes,just not to every square inch of the map yet(progress is being made little by little,it is a big map)This takes time.

2. these pics are showing the progress of the Egypt/Israel Border fence, Not the land contours, I took this pic on part of the map that has not been worked on yet nor has there been any hills/sand dunes added as of yet.

3. everyone needs to understand the geographical area I am mimicking, see photos below. The pic you see below(life photo) is not the area of Israel I am creating the map after. Also as far as small rivers/streams, there aren't any in the area of my map, from what I can tell in Google Earth, As you can see in these pics there is a huge difference in the terrain.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/usslouisiana/il_zps4bbfdf23.png (1260 kB)"]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/usslouisiana/il_zps4bbfdf23.png (1260 kB)[/url]

http://static1.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/1100-9/photos/1333484238-project-hour-glass-building-the-israelegypt-border-fence--negev_1140649.jpg (107 kB)

Edited by DanWelch

I will explain.

1. I have added hills and dunes,just not to every square inch of the map yet(progress is being made little by little,it is a big map)This takes time.

2. these pics are showing the progress of the Egypt/Israel Border fence, Not the land contours, I took this pic on part of the map that has not been worked on yet nor has there been any hills/sand dunes added as of yet.

3. everyone needs to understand the geographical area I am mimicking, see photos below. The pic you see below(life photo) is not the area of Israel I am creating the map after. Also as far as small rivers/streams, there aren't any in the area of my map, from what I can tell in Google Earth, As you can see in these pics there is a huge difference in the terrain.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/usslouisiana/il_zps4bbfdf23.png (1260 kB)"]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/usslouisiana/il_zps4bbfdf23.png (1260 kB)[/url]

http://static1.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/1100-9/photos/1333484238-project-hour-glass-building-the-israelegypt-border-fence--negev_1140649.jpg (107 kB)

Thanx for the thorough explanation. I sometimes forget how big your project is. I really like what I see thus far and I whish you all the best with it. Happy holidays!

I see your point, not to mention using ACE wire cutters is also an option for mission makers. I was thinking to my self the same thing "Why would I deliberately want to place holes in a well secured security fence?" I will leave it to the scripting and mission makers to do this on their own.

Just make sure they have a class name so they can be found and filtered using the nearObjects-style commands.

If you guys want to see RL photos of the area he's actually making, check the Armaholic thread, I posted some there along with map coordinates for where the photos were taken.

Also, keep in mind that once you add elevations, objects you have already placed might get messed up, so it might be a better idea to do elevations first and construction later.

Well not everyone uses Ace and understands how to script gaps that enable AI to move around the map? But I see it's not that type of map, no worries :)

You have to find someone who does, and there are scripts out there that serve most purposes. Understandably, ACE is popular but probably only half the community uses it. As far as knowing how to do something, it is very easy to know how to do something if you're willing to learn how to do it. Besides, I have tested this map with the AI, An armored unit will drive straight through it, while ai infantry will follow. There is no random "dumb" AI activity as far as I could tell. If infantry cant get through the fence they walk the entire fence until they find an opening or they give up and stand afar off in "do nothing" mode. Only scripting can make this more dynamic.

No biggie bro, I'm really not that caring as there's a lot of large open desert terrains available, just thought I'd mention it... Looking forward to playing on it :)

thx, i cant wait until its finished so I can play and not work lol

Looks interesting. Will it have that sign "Welcome to Palastine"? How about the ruins of Yasser Araft International ?

The airport is no longer ruins in this map. I renamed it Simeon airbase and it is in the hands of the IDF.

I think you're going to have some big problems if you place buildings/objects first and only do the elevation later, as changing elevation will mess up all your building placement. You may want to consider doing the elevation first and only then placing objects/buildings.

I'dm not placing bldgs/objects 1st then elevation. The elevation is being completed by hand in Visitor and I am keeping areas which have objects and buildings flat, then I place the buildings. Elevations are pretty much complete in most areas of the map. Now I am placing objects.

So far there are no problems and everything is working out just fine in visitor. the Terrain and Objects are working out perfectly.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

I have been working on the sand dunes throughout the map trying to give it a more dynamic desert feel.

544_zps377f662c.jpg

Looking really nice! I was looking through some pics of the Egypt/Israel border again and there are some interesting terrain where the border fence and road cut through the rocky hills, similar to this:

http://www.demotix.com/news/1140655/project-hour-glass-building-israel-egypt-border-fence-negev#media-1140650

Can you replicate this in Visitor?

The area i am working on is not this area, the area of the pics you showed are of the more southern end of the border going towards Eilat. The area of my map is not this "rocky". But the third map I plan to make will be of this area and will be replicated as such.

take a look at this

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/usslouisiana/il_zps4bbfdf23.png (1260 kB)

Edited by DanWelch