Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

Scientists guilty over earthquake....

An italian here.. this sentence is foolish (manslaughter?!!) and shamefull but unfortunately not so unexpected in Italy expecially on the first grade (there is a tendency to offer a scapegoat to the people..)

Almost certainly it will be reversed on appeal but indeed the damage is done..

Bye

Scapegoat. I feel sorry for the scientists. They were sentenced as if they had caused the earthquake....

Those judges should go back to school. The minimum that should be proven is the causal relationship between the earthquake's dammage and the scientists actions (or lack of actions). Not being able to predict an earthquake cannot obviously be condemned.

That's just a disgusting ruling, how can a judge or a justice system blame the scientist for an earthquake

That's like holding meteorologists responsible for an innacurate prediction of a devestating tornado. Nature can be very spontainious, just ask the people at the Sand Adreas fault line. Even with the best of equipment there is no way to always be 100% certain. Perhaps a review of the justice seems systems need to happen, because everyone seems to be losing their damned minds.

Why don't they jail the weather forecasters for telling us it'll be sunny when it turns out rainy etc.

Things is this will simply cause people in that profession to move out of it due to concern of blame which will not help in cases of warnings in general, what an utterly pathetic logic.

Does that mean in the UK micheal Fish should server time along with the BBC weather? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Fish

How many "falsely reassuring statements" have we had from governments esp financial sector where its effected populations. Maybe we need to arrest and jail more in governments take for example BP oil spill reassurances & fukashima radiation as some prime examples.

Edited by mrcash2009

Now lets put investors and bankers in prison.

MAKE IT SO!

They would definitely deserve it. Our judicial systems and our laws are just outdated and needs some serious reforms. Especially concerning white collar crimes. In any case this ruling is just absurd. This is just freaking hilarious. To me it seems more and more that the whole world is going crazy.

The problem of the case isn't just that it is stupid but the system is obviously going to clear the defendants in higher courts when they appeal, which would happen even if they were recorded telling people to lock themselves inside a collapsing tower since the verdict was reached in a regional court. What the media haven't said anything about is the relationship of the judge to either side's lawyer or other possible instances of corruption, remembering that judges and lawyers get bonus payments for certain rulings and can even get bonuses for public interest.

The beauty of the European justice system is that, even if a higher Italian court carries the verdict over or finds them guilty separately, they will still have the right appeal to a European judge and jury.

And people say integration is a bad idea...

Now when some European say something about the US, I can direct them to this link. Karma can be a ______ sometimes, huh?

Now when some European say something about the US, I can direct them to this link. Karma can be a ______ sometimes, huh?

No you can not. This is about Italy, not Europe.

Oh dear Hans, not that stone throwing and shit flinging "them and us" rubbish, how very 80's. If your views are still boxed into borders then welcome to how your supposed to think. Anything about the topic at all?

Edited by mrcash2009

Europe isn't a country.

Almost certainly it will be reversed on appeal but indeed the damage is done..

Certainly is!

What a joke.

What next?

Death penalty for police officers for failing to prevent/foresee a murder?

Jail for firemen for not saving everyone?

Incarceration for Doctors who didn't controlling a Flu epidemic?

$10M fine for a electrical worker who didn't foresee a major black-out?

There's a different between a sporadic single failure of the system and a system broken on purpose. Think about it, proud american with german name.

Now lets put investors and bankers in prison.

MAKE IT SO!

Why put investor and bankers in prison? I am so sick of people accusing the entire financial industry when it was really the government's fault.

Why put investor and bankers in prison? I am so sick of people accusing the entire financial industry when it was really the government's fault.

It wasn't the US government which paid politicians to act in the bank's interests. Individuals made decisions to deregulate and thus cause poverty on a worldwide scale due to an inevitable cycle crash. Some of those institutions and individuals deserve to be investigated to, if not find criminality, clear them of blame. Since there has never been a full inquest or investigation they continue to look guilty to those that they have left in misery.

You are from Coventry, you must know what misery looks like. :D