Sign in to follow this  
H4mster

Walrus AI mod (Steam Only for now)

Well done.

This makes me wonder.. does it cost BIS a lot of money to publish a patch? It seems that if there's a relatively simple fix to the AI issues, they could push it in a small patch in a timely manner. If they're waiting for other fixes to be finished to push a larger patch, is it a financial issue or a development process within the company that's driving the decision?

Actually the A.I is not fixed, despite the fact that a lot of stuff is editable. Some stuff just doesn't work when you change it and any apparent changes may be down to the randomness of the pathfinder.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/microsoft-comes-under-fire-for-five-figure-xbox-360-patch-fee/

This is why we are waiting, BI are probably doing one patch because its costs so much on the xbox.

But on the other hand the game has not sold well because of the bugs so it might not be viable to fix them, don't you just love modern business techniques of shoot yourself in the foot and not bother putting a bandage on it.

I would love to try the 1.1 mod but am getting the following message from mediafire:

The file you attempted to download is an archive that is part of a set of archives. MediaFire does not support unlimited downloads of split archives and the limit for this file has been reached. MediaFire understands the need for users to transfer very large or split archives, up to 10GB per file, and we offer this service starting at $1.50 per month.

We have informed the owner that sharing of this file has been limited and how they can resolve this issue.

Looks like the official page does not have your 1.1 version so I can't get it there either

Thanks for that. I renamed file to "patch01.pak" but I didn't see any major difference in gameplay. pressing k did not bring up anything in game. Is there any easy way to check if the game is using the new file?

Thanks for that. I renamed file to "patch01.pak" but I didn't see any major difference in gameplay. pressing k did not bring up anything in game. Is there any easy way to check if the game is using the new file?

Try the script in here, just copy physics folder with file in it to your CC install.

http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/49840575/file.html

Do I need to mess with python to install this mod on a non-steam version of this game?

then yes, you will need to make a .pak (fake patch) and use that unless someone had already packed it.

The .pak files I did that with from earlier in this thread did not work. I changed name to the next number patch. Nevermind I'll watch the thread and see what happens

EDIT: I spent some time with CarrierTools and got it working. There may be an improvement but my walruses barely made it off the beach before getting stuck. I will wait until the modding tools are released in a few weeks before picking up this game again.

Edited by Prontius

Ya, I'm not making much headway without the upcomming script editor ether.

There is a bug in the grip mod that makes you get stuck on rocks more than you normally would. Oops.. Try not to drive near or over rocks.

There is a bug in the grip mod that makes you get stuck on rocks more than you normally would. Oops.. Try not to drive near or over rocks.

I did think of setting the rock grip to 0, then they might not get stuck on them at all.

I did think of setting the rock grip to 0, then they might not get stuck on them at all.

Try setting it to a -ve value, you may have some fun ramping mesas on the desert islands ;-)

I like driving up mountains though and I think it uses the same material setting for both.

I like driving up mountains though and I think it uses the same material setting for both.

If you want to see the effects of negative friction, and a coefficient of restitution > 1, have a watch:

A bit of fun for a saturday evening :-)

Is it possible that the enemy carrier doesn't capture islands anymore since I installed the 1.1V of the walrus AI mod?

Situation:

Started new strat game

- Settings:

lowest captured island count (a lot free, like in the old game)

hardest AI settings

Enemy carrier to destroy and all islands to capture to win

Started capturing 3 island, met enemy carrier on the fourth island after about 40 minutes (he didn't capture or attack any islands...). Well, we both ended up with all units destroyed, him immobilized and all guns destroyed an both sides. I repped my engines and limped to another island, started capturing again.

After 4 hours I had half the map, enemy still no new captures, ran into enemy carrier again and sunk him.

Did anyone else observe the enemy no longer capturing islands?

Ah and btw, could someone add the timewarp per key activation function to the walrus AI mod? It helps a lot if you have to ship around islands to deploy nearer to command centers on vacant islands, especially since the walrusses found their climbing boots ;)

Best regards

Möbius

Umm not sure mobius, if you are using my mod though it is different to Hamsters. Besides, I wouldn't use anything in there other than materials.xml the other stuff I was playing with is probably broken.

It's all just messing around anyway.

Well, at least the carrier fought back WITH units^^ :o

How did you get them to attack with units, do you have to capture all islands to trigger it? Can you send me any mod files you have.

For all the tweaks I have done my enemy carrier still runs off, I can't get it to attack with anything.

To my (untrained) eye, it looks like the decision to launch units is controlled by this function

bool Offer( ObjectHandlerBase object )
{
	//STUB: accept anything if there is more enemies than controlled units
	int need = EstimateUnitNeed( AI_GENERAL );
	if( need > 0 ) return true;
	return false;
}

int EstimateUnitNeed( int type )
{
	//STUB: do not care about type
	return EnemyCnt - ManagedObjectCnt;
}

EnemyCnt is the number of enemies within Telemetry Range, and ManageObjectCnt is the number of currently launched child units of the carrier. (AI_GENERAL is a boolean flag to determine which unit type to launch. As you can see the caller(Offer) says Do I need any unit 'AI_GENERAL', but the Needs() function ignores it anyway).

So, the rule is: If the number of enemies is larger than the number of launched objects, let the AI know that you need to launch another. It doesn't seem to care what /kind/ of thing to launch though. I'm not sure if your carrier counts as one enemy, so you can test attacking with no launched units, and then more launched units, and see if he matches tit-for-tat.

Also, it won't launch anything if there's nothing to launch (obviously), but there's no outward sign of that to the player.

It's in

data02.cc\scripts\ai\carriertactics.h

in the CarrierDefenseTactic class. There's a similar set of functions in the CarrierOffenseTactic, and the Island*Tactics... Which basically means that the standard AI response to any situation is "Launch as many things as are needed to match how many things the opponent has launched". :-/ I have a feeling that'll change in the next patch, although "Tit-for-tat" is generally a good tactic, it makes things easy for the player to predict.

Does anyone want to take over this mod?, maybe a moderator can fix it so you guys can access the first post, I'm not giving up, just waiting for the official tools before going in at the deep end.

Plus where I live its got really cold weather atm, makes it hard to use brain and mod. :D