Sign in to follow this  
Sven2157

Arma Samples Copyright questions...

I am starting a new thread for fear that I will receive an 'infraction' for violating the rule about digging up old threads.

Ok, so I am confused about what we can do here. I downloaded the sample pack for the ArmA Vehicles. According to the download agreement:

1) Bohemia Interactive grants to you a personal, nonexclusive license to open and modify the models for the purpose of designing, developing, testing, and producing non-commercial game content for PC game ArmA.

2) You acknowledge and agree that Bohemia Interactive is providing you the models free of charge in order to allow you creation of non-commercial game content for ArmA only and you agree to not commercially exploit any game content you may create using the models without Bohemia Interactive prior written permission.

3) Bohemia Interactive doesn't give you permission to exploit the models in any other way than written in this readme, especially not to convert them for use in any other game or engine than ArmA.

We can not use these in TKOH?

Does, and this might be obvious, but I am asking anyway, the use of the Arma AH1Z model in the following video violate the terms of use for the models?

According to this post - "Combining Arma2 Helicopters with new flight model?" - which was left kind of open, and even after the release of Rearmed, about porting the ArmA models into TKOH, we can not do this without permission from BI, correct?

Then on the other hand, we can add the AH1Z to our Missions/MP sessions via Rearmed. Has this changed? Technically I had to alter the model, in order to properly get the RTD System into it; though my alteration as actually an "addition to".

If this does violate the terms, who and where do I go and speak to, about altering and using these models in TKOH? Does the terms of use in Rearmed cover doing this?

I try to get something official about this but i have to ask you for some patience. But we appreciate that you do care about it.

Myke;2243865']I try to get something official about this but i have to ask you for some patience. But we appreciate that you do care about it.

Thanks for the reply, Myke! No worries, I'll be here! :cool:

Ok, hope these info will help:

In general, as you guessed, the license prohibits the use of the ArmA 1 sample MLOD's to be used for Addons created for ToH.

However, there is a chance to obtain permissions under the same license as applied in ArmA. To obtain such a permission, you will have to write a PM to DnA.

As said, it is a chance, not a promise. ;)

Alrighty All...

I have some GOOD News!

I have contacted DnA about the use of the ArmA Sample Model Package in TKOH, and he has approved ME to use them! :ok:

:bounce3: :cool: :dance1: :bounce12: :622: :pet12: :cc: :dancered: :m:

HOWEVER:

Before everyone goes nuts on these models, I have sent an email for clarification to DnA regarding the usage of these models; which if not all models I/we can use, what kind of modifications, if not FULL, I/we can make, etc, etc. In other words, this just may be for me, NOT EVERYONE.

As soon as he gets back to me with the answers, I will let everyone in the TKOH community know if they too can use them, or if they need to submit a usage request, as well.

So for now...

...everyone know that we have some new flying additions on the way!

*** EDIT ***

For those interested, here is the original request to DnA, from me:

Hello DnA,

I was directed to you by a post is in this thread: Arma Samples Copyright questions...

I was wanting to obtain permission from Bohemia Interactive, in regards to the use of the ArmA Sample Models in Take On Helicopters( TKOH ). Currently, with Take On Rearmed, we can get the ArmA/ArmA II assets into TKOH. However they lack a certain quality, that we as the TKOH community enjoy and look for.

There are issues when bringing in the vehicles with Take On Rearmed. One such problem, which is noticed right away, is the fact that you have to fly these helicopters, via the airplanes controls and settings. The other immediate problem is the top action menu item stuck to your center point of view.

I feel that "re-inventing the wheel" seems like a waste of time, since these are already modeled. The modifications are simple, and only further adapt the Rearmed DLC into a great "Not a Simulator", simulator. I also feel that allowing these models to be modified and used in TKOH, could/would open the community up a bit more, as it is a quick way to add additional flyable helicopters to the game( Us Simmers look for feel in flight, then at how the model looks! ).

The memory points and the RTD System are not the only mod that would need to be done. Custom gauges( torque, rpm, temp, etc, etc ) would also need to be modeled, and then added to the Original Arma Model. Without the gauges, it is almost impossible to fly with the RTD and not over-stress the engines/rotors. I am currently at the point of modeling custom gauges for the AH1Z_H( I have adapted the TKOH model naming structure ), but have stopped until, and if, I can get permission to use these models.

Could you please review that post and my video; for clarification of the modifications.

I do apologize if I was sent to you mistakenly. If that is the case, could you please direct me to who I would need to speak to regarding permission to use these models( if permission is obtainable )?

Thank you for your time!

Regards,

=170= Sven2157

Edited by Sven2157

That's great news Sven. Excited to see what you will come up with when you get the fine liners back.

Ok.

I have received clarification on the Arma Samples from DnA.

Please note!: This license is granted to ME( =170= Sven2157 ) ONLY! I am free to do as I want with these models - on a non-commercial level and distribute the results to the TKOH community.

Here is the core of my email to DnA:

I have some other questions regarding the license/permission to use these models:

1. Is this a personal grant license/permission, for myself( =170= Sven2157 aka <EDIT MY REAL NAME OUT> ) only? Or does this extend to the community? ( Basically, Do others have to get their own permission? )

2. Does this license/permission grant ALL models in the ArmA Sample Pack, or just certain models? If so, which models does it allow use of?

3. Does this license/permission grant the ability for FULL modification of the ArmA Sample Pack contents, or just certain aspects/elements? Ex: I can add the TKOH RTD system, but no additional proxies, weapons, etc, etc.

4. Can the newly developed models be distributed to the community, free without charge?

Basically – Can I, or if granted, we as a community, do as we want with these models on a non-commercial level?

And the core of the reply from DnA:

You are hereby granted a personal license to use the Arma sample models in Take On Helicopters and its expansions. The license itself is exactly the same, the only exception being it is extended to Take On Helicopters.

1. It's personal only at this time. We are evaluating a global new license, but do not currently have time to push it through (e.g. due to our Greece situation). Others need to go through the same process. You can give them my address in PM, but please don't publish it centrally.

2. All models.

3. Full modification just like with the Arma sample models themselves.

4. Yes, and only free of charge, exactly like how the license for the Arma sample models themselves state.

> Basically – Can I, or if granted, we as a community, do as we want with these models on a non-commercial level?

You, can use it as stated in the license, so only non-commercial and only within the specified products (not another game e.g.).

So there it is... :cool: Let me know if you need DnA's info, or have any questions!

Thanks for keeping us informed. Really looking forward to your work, as I think this will open up a whole world of new possibilities with Rearmed. Very excited to be honest. :)