Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

Total War: Rome II

Looks awesome, but why do Romans always invariably speak with British accents? Except for the developers being British, that is :p

Well I don´t know to be honest. Total war used to be a great brand and I really loved their games (have been playing since Medieval 1), I was even one of the 12 Head Admins on totalwar-zone.de, previously the biggest TW Forum in Germany, and the second world wide. So you can safely say that I was a TW Fanboy^^ but the quality of their products dramatically decreased since they are owned by Sega. Empire was a mess, false advertising was used to lure people into buying it. A year after release, when they finally made the game playable, the lead designer himself told he press that he didn´t want to gift the game to his friends upon release because he was well aware of the nearly unplayable state...well he didn´t bother to warn TW fans. Shogun 2 was a quite playable game but CAs increasing effort to make cash with DLCs and to further reduce modding speaks for itself. Empire had the very popular Smoke&Blood Mod that added smoke and blood effects. CA made sure that mods like this weren´t possible in Shogun 2, and they released a Blood DLC...

Their DLC Units are nothing that an average moder couldn´t do in a week or two but they are making cash and reduced moding to near zero. I wouldn´t even play Empire or Shogun 2 if it wasn´t for the Darthmod, but you only have to compare the Darthmod filesize for Empire and for Shogun 2 to see how much they reduced moding

Shogun 2: 399.19MB

Empire: >2GB

Since there won´t be any Darthmod for Rome 2 I have absolutely no reason to play it.

Everyone can see where CA is going with the series

I'm playing NTW Darthmod, and i must say the AI is quite enjoyable, while the Vanilla one is just meh.

I still play M2TW occasionally, currently with Westeros:Total War, never got into the newer versions.

I still play M2TW occasionally, currently with Westeros:Total War, never got into the newer versions.

Exactly, the old games are much more enjoyable.

I can´t believe how many features have been dropped since M2TW

M2TW had a whole different feeling and believe me or not, but I think the Battle AI in M2TW was better than the one we have now (vanilla).

Oh and siege battles are a bad joke. M2TW was the last one with proper siege battles. Small Armys didn´t engage in battles with big armys.

It´s a bad thing that developers are going for klickibunti rather than crude gameplay. Not that it´d be a TW only problem, but especially with this series being one of the last few one-of-a-kinds, it is especially shattering to see the whole franchise going down shitting itselves.

Well they do have a quite good marketing department but they also used false advertising to sell Empire. Tons of Features were promised but didn´t make it into the game (Of course they didn´t tell that to anyone prior to release)

They released nice Videos showcasing the game, Epic landbattles (that turned out to be scripted) Naval battles in front of some random coastline (labeled with 100% ingame. There weren´t any coastlines in the game) and so on.

I bet that those screens at the start of the thread have been edited. Those particle effects are not ingame.

I've always been interested in these games but never looked into them much. I am no longer interested.

I've always been interested in these games but never looked into them much. I am no longer interested.

Do yourself a favour and pick up M2TW at the next steamsale for around €2.50 - there´s nothing better than first winning a campaign map by total domantion on one continent, and then invading the aztechs with knights in full armor - or siege battles at night with 2 armies of english longbowmen shooting firearrows at puny enemy AI :D

PS: TW series is the most fun geography teacher i´ve ever met!

Last TW that I played was Empire and, after all patches, it was a good game. With mods, even better. Same goes for Medieval 2 (my favourite.....so far) and Rome 1.

Shogun 2 theme isn't my taste and Napoleon... well, I have Empire already. Looking forward to this one, but only buying it in a Steam sale or "gold" packaged cause SEGA will fill it with DLC for sure.

I played all the TW but i think that Rome I it's the best so far!

It's very sad how a great game could be ruined by DLCs.

The video is outstanding by the way.

Rome 1 had a great unit variety. I really wonder how they will do that in Rome 2.

Empire and Shogun didn´t have such a great variety, Basically every Clan/Nation had the same units with a different painting. CA claimed that Factions in those two periods didn´t have very distinctive units. That somehow may have been true for Empire (although modders did a great job there, look for the AUM Mod). If you wanted to have some variety in Shogun 2 you had to buy DLCs (moding was not really possible anymore).

If they have the same approach for rome then......

Operative;2245918']It's now possible to mod Shogun 2. CA waited til they could sell all the DLCs and then released the mod tools :T

At least they did. I know plenty of popular contemporary video games that don't.

And it was about damn time. Those tools were promised for Empire! Looking at the steam workshop those tools came too late. People only seem to make Maps and scenarios with them....