Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Should next ARMA series go to full sci-fi?

I think Gnat got a point... sometimes with fictional weapons we tend to feel detached and not relate to the real life. I think it's like BF2142 and Battlefield 2. Both came out at a relatively same time. BF2 with real world weapons that we can relate to, but BF2142 sets in the future with mech and stuffs. Both had the same gameplay, but somehow it's not as popular as BF2... seems people need to have a real-world equipment to relate to...

tumblr_mbfshfloal1rpdotto1_1280.jpg

Would of kill ArmA series.

ArmA is based on normal warfare, current warfare and thats the best!

I personally see no benefits of going back completely to the cold war era as a full game. The atmosphere would be great for a SP campaign, but what about MP , could someone outline some benefits a technological step back would bring in terms of mission scenarios?

No TI making proper concealment improtant. Even for tanks.

No fire-and-forget missiles (no explanation needed I think),

No GPS.

No long range comms on every soldier.

NVG's are rare, so do scopes.

Many Coop and PvP squads have features removed (most notably thermal imaging), limit scoped weapons to one per team and such, not only for ballance, but also immersion. Partially because of half-baked realism of vanilla game, making many of those immersion breakers, like fire-and-forget TOWs with lock-on delay, or IR sigths with unlimited range, and ideal view making concealment from those impossible.

I'm okay with new Arma games, as long as they follow a full engine upgrade.

But high-tech gadgets are fun (as long as they are real and not fairy-tale like in blops2).

Cold war era is cool for atmosphere but not cool for variety.

Besides seeing the same BMP and Abrams all the time gets boring.

I agree with metalcraze on this one.

That's because you think that NATO=US and Pact=USSR :/

This.

Cold War would be ridiculously awesome, especially if BIS can pull off large scale engagements.

Cold War would be ridiculously awesome, especially if BIS can pull off large scale engagements.

Agreed. The number of expansions and DLCs would be damn near infinite too.

A return to the Cold War for me please.

I'd quite enjoy a good Star Wars game however.

A new Battlefront or the like of.

Not sure how popular would be this setting but it would be awesome for an Arma game to be in a cyberpunk setting.Maybe something in 2100-2150 timeline.The openness of Arma combined with high tech gizmoz,drones,bots,dropships,mods or augs for soldiers,some vehicle classes like apc,tanks etc but with a coat of futuristic modelling:),hacking for taking over static defenses or bots.Scenarios could involve weakened government deploying armed forces and engaging some conglomerates private armies.Basically Deus Ex+Syndicate+Arma=love.Maybe a change of scenery too,like a huge future city(or two) but still with the areas around it\them as area of operations.

True I wouldn't want the next Arma to be in this setting,after all most of the BI fans want something realistic,not "zomg lazorz",but something like a parallel project.

I hoped Carrier Command would be that game,but that is not even 50% Arma scale and far from the openness of these games(can't even control more than 8 units in total).