Sign in to follow this  
i76

Star Citizen - from the creator of Freelancer & Wing Commander

Whats the current playable state of the game? Arena Commander + ?

Yeah either PvP also known as missile spam or vs Ai mode. There is also some pretty nifty race courses thru futuristic cities. I pretty only fight AI for now as I suck at PvP so far and also proper armor hasn't been implemented yet. Once flight model is complete I'll definitely do more PvP

Yup, I'm only fighting vs. AI as well. Never tried PvP with my little Aurora, even if it has like four missiles.^^ And the race mode is pretty lame in my opinion.

If you want a recommendation on what to buy I'd say go for Elite: Dangerous and wait for Star Citizen until it's further developed. SC is awesome gameplay-wise but since there's no real playable content it won't entertain you for more than a few hours. Elite on the other hand is finished and insanely time consuming. It has its flaws and it's not easy to get into, but trading and hunting pirates is somewhat addictive. Saddest thing for me is that the presentation in Elite is just crap. No story, you'll never see your own ship in action (outside the cockpit I mean) and its quest system relies on random generic tasks only. And longer travels take ages with a slow engine, I usually read the newspaper on my phone and only look up to correct my course every few seconds. Still, the good outweighs the bad. But considering the Elite developers had less than 10% of SC's budget they did a solid job. I own both games but spent way more time with Elite than with SC. One could say I'm using Elite to kill time until SC is in a playable state. :D

Yeah game is really ambitious. I like how it's not limited to just one aspect (in this case spaceship sim) but also focuses on other things which make it more varied. In this sense it reminds on ArmA series a lot since they too are not limited to just one thing but can be many things. Total custumization is the future of computer gaming. :)

they can promise me the sun (they already promised the moon) yet i do give not give any shits about it anymore. I only believe it when i see it finished and working without problems... they promised so much stuff already i dont even know how they can keep track of it

ok trailers can be bogus and misleading but damn this game is looking good (may have to reinstall that Gigabyte beast)

still waiting for 2.7 when sh*ts gonna get real like an actual explorable universe

I haven't udated this for a long time. But when I last was in there, it was the players that were the problem.

I won't update until 3.0, which is at the end of the year, just can't be bothered with all that data every few weeks. It does look very good indeed and if the PU sets out to be what many players hope, then it will be a great game.

Players are a problem in all games, I know, but hopefully, that will ease down.

I'm exploring and doing a little trading, I hope. So looking forward to it, fingers crossed..

Yeah just heard they renamed 2.7 to 3.0 because of new influx of tech. havent played in months and I doubt when I do that ill get involved in too much PvP stuff -for me it kills the immersion to fight a space pirate named fUckFace@000.

Speaking of immersion, heres a fantastic fan made trailer featuring Carl Sagan

I turned all my ships back into credits. So I'll decide at year end which I'll get. Certainly the Freelancer, because of the new cockpit displays and setup, that looks really good. Don't think I'll bother with the Connie again, sort of lost its way. Other than that, not sure what else I'll get.

Wisely or unwisely I have a little bit invested, but at least I can re-spend, come Christmas (I hope).

Oh yeah, nice video, voice always suits, doesn't it.

• Like 1

it will play out like every similar game does:

gangs of assholes beating up on newbies while streaming twitch with a donate/subscribe button

i bought a freelancer back in mid 2013, played around with it recently

there is some promise to the game, hopefully they overcome the obstacles and smooth out issues with networking

Wisely or unwisely I have a little bit invested, but at least I can re-spend, come Christmas (I hope).

Well considering that in this game, getting a new ship will take a very long time (otherwise the whole monetization scheme would cause immense outrage), it is likely that it will be similar to F2P games (except that you also have to pay upfront).

So getting a better/larger ship with money saves you alot of grinding time propably. And compared to F2P where you often have to pay outragerous amounts of money for just one little thing/ one vehicle (instead of spending dozends of hours grinding for it), SC offers a whole lot more in terms of gameplay and potential. 

I think in terms of progress/ development issues they made the jump over the critical point - where before it was "can we even make this" (including internal development issue reports), it seems to me that things have stabilized now and that they can make it (with time).

It's quite an ambitious game. But i like where it's going. didn't know anything about it until after NMS dropped, and shattered... Lol, but SC looks like something i'd get into, as it's got the same feel as Arma, in the sense that yeah, it's got it's own universe with it's own special niche market. It's big, not in the sense that everyone plays it, but in the sense that it's got so much potential, and possible content. The whole Space ships inside other bigger space ships that can fly places, and the ability to move around in big space ships while on the move, and deploying smaller vehicles from space ships on planets, and how smooth it operates, is super attractive. This brings many possibilities into a game with a Multiplayer environment. But i'm mainly interested in the potential. Looks really promising, seeing as many of there features work, really freakin well.

• Like 1

So i've been following this tilte for quite a while and now i got my computer upgraded and want to throw something heavy at it.... which package shout i buy?

when i looking at some starter package's i  see "6 month Insurange"... what does that exactly mean?

Nevermind i found the info and bought the game :)

Wow, no posts in awhile? Wtf? Ahhhhh, snap bois, it's time for a Montage.

Lets start off with the most recent developments.

This is Stanton I, official name is Planet Hurston, currently the biggest play area of any game ever. 2370Km in Diameter. I don't do math, so don't make me calculate circumference or the mass of the entire planetary body. 

hcl8mi6qahr11.png

This is the view approaching from Atmosphere. See it? No?

mo9u38adzdu11.jpg

See what? The main tower of Loreville City owned and run by Hurston Dynamics, a weapons manufacturer

87g9kr4vdfr11.png?width=960&crop=smart&s

gxHM2W3.jpg

It is not just a backdrop. Like the entire planet Hurston, ALL of it is exploitable.

IllfatedWellwornConure-size_restricted.g

So what about it? It's a huge planet with a huge Capital City, both owned and governed by the Weapons Manufacturer Hurston Dynamics. It's the very first Planet and Super-City detailed in full that will come with 3.3.5 slated for Mid-November, just next month. It's scale is not the only thing to marvel over. 3.3 which is currently in Player Test Universe phase to all who have bought the $45 game package (Or $30 dollar discounted package during the Anniversary, which is also coming up quite soon once again).

The other excitement regarding this patch, is that it brings key features that have been long awaited by the community at large.

Ship Purchase and Rent.

Finally, in Loreville, you can purchase ships with your hard earned in game currency, UEC (United Earth Credits) with the rental feature coming later on in testing, it allows the aspiring Freighter Pilot the ability to save up for that massive Cargo Hauler they always wanted. Or perhaps a fighter pilot wishes to get an updated ship, or if someone wants to try out mining, or perhaps even take on the hottest Racing Circuit for a chance at a Galatic Cup. Finally, Ship buying opens up gameplay for EVERYONE.

Train/Metro.

As seen in the GIF above, how else to get to the New Deal ship shop without walking over 20 Miles? Of course, the Metro. You might also meet new people along the way, especially if you live or work along the outer walls of the City, as the wait time for a train is 5 Minutes if you miss it.

OCS (Object Container Streaming) 

This probably should have been first on the list, but for those who aren't familiar, Object Container Streaming is a Magical Code the developers used to bring FPS from 15-20 FPS up to 60 and even 113 being the highest framerate currently observed by some streamers. Yeah... Insane. You can look up the term, i know i cut this quite short calling it Magic, but i'm not a coding expert and opted not to attempt to garner in full detail the implications of the tech that everyone in the community was waiting for and it's arrival has ushered in a literal new era for this game. But there's even more.

So, what's been missed? Taking it from the top, if you want to explore the glory of the most recent event you can Check out the source of those gorgeous photos here in the Keynote presentation during this years Citizencon 2948 (a year in the Universe that CIG Studio has been building out meticulously with the most innovative tech in the industry)

Now, this isn't the only heart stopper of the show. There were actually much more detailed panels at the event than last year that really dig into crazy technological breakthroughs to make this game look and feel the way they really want it to. They're trying to build a Universe after all more than a game, but, i can't really convey how much work goes into that so it's better off you check out the Panels for yourself. Make sure you watch the Keynote first though, trust me, it's worth it.

Welcome to Loreville

Breathing Life Into Content With Physics

What A Bunch Of Characters

By Design

Crafting Space

The Principles Of Flight

And finally the most anticipated of all the panels from the commander in Chief Himself

Road To Release

• Like 1

Some more news followed by sensual content below. 

Star Citizen has launched it's 3.3 build to live with it's other remaining content which was moved to a 3.3.5 for fine tuning hitting internal testing and then quickly adding futher waves of testers which include a wider audience into a closed PTU (Player Test Universe) build.

The current news is like waiting for the worst, but recieving the best. Testing has gone so well they're considering skipping the furhter 4 waves of testing and taking it straight for closed test Wave 1 to a Live build due to how well it's performing. There are however a few more bugs with the Spaceport Air Control Tower and AI locomotion, as well as a minor Shopping Kiosk bug that needs to be fixed before it can be considered stable in it's full glory.

The Verdict? They're looking at a release late this week or early next week.

cqgfg8vxy3y11.png

the_hills_are_aliveSensual Landscape of Hurston

It's that time again.

Star Citizen reaches another mile stone with it's Procedural City tech with a major update due the end of this month... I'm, a little tired because of IRL things so, instead of a major in-depth review, i'll just provide some of the highlights.

The major features of this update are as listed.

DNA Customization (Character Creation)

>Allows the blending of two real scanned faces into one unique face to create your character. You can choose the level of detail you cant taken from each face, and customize an intricate unique face as your own.

Playable Female Characters

>This doesn't need an introduction. Just another sex of Human Specimens.

Planet ArcCorp (w/ 2 Moons Wala and Lyria)

New Flight Model in Space and in Atmosphere (Lift and Drag added)

And 20+ other Gameplay related additions and optimizations.

Planet ArcCorp has a main Hero Landing Zone, Area-18... I'll just leave these here.

539h2k43tko21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

ScreenShot0059.jpg

Star Citizen: Streets of Area 18

8784wvhh3oo21.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Will this game ever be officially released? How many years of development? . . . . a decade? LOL.

unbelievable for sure.

Cheers

There is a range of complaints against developers and their process, from mismanaging assets and funds to it being a scam altogether. Regardless of how they do things, they are certainly not just sitting on their hands. The scope they are going for is quite frankly ridiculous so it will likely take another decade for them to actually release something substantial in terms of stable, long term gameplay.

Talk about this game always reminds me of No Man's Sky and how seemingly everyone just decided to collectively go insane over it. There was no rational conversation over it. And not just "people on the internet" or gaming media, no, some of my friends that are usually not that gullible were talking like it's the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Well, we know how it turned out and it was a good lesson. We're all much more reserved and mindful of marketing hysteria. Still, this glorification of Sean Murray narrative and normalization of broken releases and bad morals that's been circling around since late last year is a bit distasteful. Yes, they eventually made it into something and good on them, many do not bother, but they eventually just did what they were supposed to in the first place.

Anyway, I may give the Single-Player component a try eventually when completed and if it's reasonably priced.

Personally I'm interested in SC not only because I like the idea. It's rather novel phenomenon - perpetual (decades long) development approach, which so far works businness-wise. If one would ever wish to see a game with such ambitious scope, I see no other way to get there, maybe apart from some kind of the crazy billionaire patronage. And I wish to see such a game.

As an (almost) decade long investor -im fine with their slow development because they keeps us in the loop with things like AI development pretty regularly. Havent had it on my hardrive in years but still interested in its development.