Sign in to follow this  
i76

Star Citizen - from the creator of Freelancer & Wing Commander

Gentlemen, I believe we are witnessing the beginning of the Renaissance of Independent video gaming. The surge in popularity of crowdsourcing appears to have paid off :yay:

I was just about to say.... I have noticed in the last year or so that a decent proportion of the gaming community even the younger gamers have had enough of the main stream regurgitated crap that gets pumped out by the huge production houses, they have been riding on the backs of old great title that they have driven kilometres into the ground... all they see is $$$ and the wider community has had enough.

Back on topic... Second Stretch Goal reached

$2.6 million raised :)

Edited by i76
editing..........

The new addon upgrades are now posted over at Kickstarter and will be available at the RSI on Monday...among the addons is a modding manualO_0.

That's a great news, now I would like to know which private investissor will give the other 10 millions $

I finaly watched the full "pitch" video, I love it. He's gone back to the old skool of open to public all on the table no mainstream crap , how it was way back when with companies and industry had small budgets. Although this time around he's sat on a CGI film level open universe covering all the angles.

Its to the point that it will turn so many sleepy mainstream heads its far to powerful for itself to never happen :)

For PC games hes like a George Lucas in 1977 on the big screen in terms of a game changer.

I also like the fact he's very humble and is just like most people wanting the ultimate game for PC since he was young, and he can make it without the mainstream sucking the life out of it. All we get these days are publisher raped rush out jobs stuck to financial targets and hes sticking his two fingers firmly up to it all, and will end up creating something none of them can touch.

That's a great news, now I would like to know which private investissor will give the other 10 millions $

I am pretty sure it was said that if they hit the initial goal of 2mil they had investors already in place. Now that they have decimated that mark new star systems and ships are being added every new stretch goal that is hit.

If anyone has not been over to the RSI site to see what is happening and read the updates that have been given it is worth taking a look. This is shaping up to be something special in the world of PC Gaming. http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

The newest update talking about Single Player and Multi Player in the same persistent universe:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/chris-roberts-on-multiplayer-single-player-and-instancing/

The two newest star systems Odin(#41) & Tyrol(#42):

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/unlocked-odin-system/

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/unlocked-tyrol-system/

Nice!

2 new videos. One showing wingman AI and a final push video for crowd funding. The pre-alpha wingman AI video is not something that would typically be shown to the public at this stage. Only the publisher gets to see stuff like that usually, but because Star Citizen is using crowd funding and bypassing the publishers, WE the gamers get to see the progress and updates instead...cool stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuynSgAvleo&feature=plcp

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

BTW the lasers are place holders, the final lasers will move faster and probably look different.

Edited by dcal

Its just stunning to see the vast distances in the Wingman video. And I really love his "one week left" call :D

Pledging $30 or more gives a digital copy of the game, a ship, and access to the alpha & beta in 12 months. That alone is worth pledging before the crowd funding ends....this game is going to be a PC lovers dream.

I went with the $60 option a couple of weeks ago. This game looks like it will be worth the money (and the wait). :D

I went with the $60 option a couple of weeks ago. This game looks like it will be worth the money (and the wait). :D

L4Ws9JSCwh0

:yay:

Havn't done true Sci-fi (shooters with a sci-fi skin don't count) interactively since Elite.......shit a long time. Yet i try not to miss a sci-fi TV series or movie so i figured its about time to go back. The vision and ambition Chris Roberts has shown here got me abit excited and I dropped an amount I'd rather not disclose to my wife right now.

Looks like it will be to space sim what ArmA is to mil sim, and will support modding as well!

And they updated the 4mil stretch goals to include infantry combat in space!

only catch

In space they'll never hear me YAYYYYYYYY!

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

Thanks for the answer dcal.

Hopefully they will reach the 4 millions :) I really want to be able to fight as a marine inside a huge spaceship while some other players are flying and fighting arround.

Thanks for the answer dcal.

Hopefully they will reach the 4 millions :) I really want to be able to fight as a marine inside a huge spaceship while some other players are flying and fighting arround.

You'll get to do that in any eventuality. The stretch goals just mean that that particular functionality gets developed and made available sooner. I believe Roberts himself said so.

Wow....Introducing the RSI Constellation and its deployable P-52 fighter. It was just introduced on IGN. This is the first of many 3D ship brochures showcasing the ships in Star Citizen

http://www.ign.com/images/albums/constellation-images/50a56badf4918925b219d368

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

BTW, the guy designing the ships has a very impressive resume including work on Star Wars & Star Trek http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Church_%28concept_artist%29

http://ryanchurch.com/

Chris Roberts has brought some heavy hitters on to the Star Citizen dev/creation team. This is some serious talent working on this thing.

Edited by dcal

^^Certainly does...(breathes sigh of relief)

I bought the $250 pledge containing the Constellation before I knew what it looked like. Though I think it was already hinted that Ryan Church was the designer.

http://ryanchurch.com/ hasn’t just done Star Wars and Star Trek but has almost monopolised every Sci-fi movie of recent years. Lucky for us his stuff isn’t just very cool but also very diverse.

If anyone is thinking of pledging, go the Kickstarter route, it has separate stretch goals to the RSI site but pledges from there contribute to both streams of stretch goals

Oh and before anyone says $250 dollars is mad. The only games I’ll be buying over the next 2-3 years will be BIS and a few things out of bargain bin. My gaming budget is nothing compared to many.

Oh and before anyone says $250 dollars is mad. The only games I’ll be buying over the next 2-3 years will be BIS and a few things out of bargain bin. My gaming budget is nothing compared to many.

Totally with you on that man, congrats on the shiny new Constellation(affectionately being called the Connie in the SC community). Although I get video shots from multiple games for some of my 3D vids I only ever play and invest time in 1 or two games , and I stick with those games for a while. The two games I am looking forward to the most are Arma 3 and Star Citizen, with Star Citizen capturing my attention more than anything released in the last decade and a half for a number of reasons.

One of the reasons I really like Arma 2 so much is because the community is amazing and BI encourages and gives freedom to mod, resulting in some of the coolest content by very talented individuals. Case in point your own Mi24A, PB. Star Citizen's community, even though it is so early in the game, is rapidly becoming a tight nit enjoyable bunch(expanding very rapidly). Star Citizen's community is already starting to resemble the Arma 2 crowd with stuff like this already in the works:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/topic/custom-fighter-stribog/

As posted before, when you see the level and credentials of the people working on this project, you cant help but know this will shit on many from a great height.

Sorry to be blunt, but its just true.

That's good. Maybe it'll inspire competitivity. Anyway, if you've been on the RSI live chat, you'll have seen people cheering greatly over the Constellation even before the brochure came out. There were predictions that pledges would go up, and they appear to have been right.

I guess I'll just have to steal somebody else's Constellation or something.

Yeah Ryan Church makes some wonderful stuff! Wouldn't surprise me if they hit 4.5M looking at the current total lol

They already surpassed the previous record - it's official: This is now the new holder of the distinction "most crowdfunded game." Quite an achievement, eh? :yay:

Yeah Ryan Church makes some wonderful stuff! Wouldn't surprise me if they hit 4.5M looking at the current total lol

Already 4.5 and still one day to go - they'll even pass 5 million

If they hit 5.5 we would have a playable Bengal class carrier.:inlove:

Someone call Bill Gates and make(force?) him to put his bubblegum funds on this.