Sign in to follow this  
Dreadnought808

First person parts- anyone who actually liked them?

I myself really quite enjoyed the start of the campaign- you actually have to set out on foot, to capture your carrier. I though it set the atmosphere of the storyline quite well. Sure, the story won't win any awards. Granted, the actual first person shooter gameplay was basic. However, as it's not part of the core gameplay, I found them quite enjoyable.

However, as the gameplay is quite basic, it did get quite old after being forced into it another, what, 6 times or so? Problem was not the fact you had to do them so often, problem was that the missions themselves were quite long. It's a nice gimmick, but being so basic it cannot fill the length of the later missions well. The ultimate use for the first person code would be, to allow one to actually walk around your ship in strategy mode, as you can in the initial campaign mission... perhaps even, battlecruiser2000 style, board one of your mantas/walrusses and go on a little trip on an island. Totally useless, but good fun, a great gimmick, and literally ALL of the programming is there.

Thoughts? Comments?

I'm waiting for someone to make a custom mission where we need to board the enemy carrier and secure it pirate like.

Got to say I hated it, by the time I made it to the carrier I was ready to give up.... Went back to strategy mode instead...

G

They are alright. I feel like as if im playing the old fashion fps games that if played now feel...awkward. I think that was the plan when BI made it. I mean come on they made arma series so there has to be a reason to why the fps parts are so awkward feeling other than making the game feel like the old classic but with better graphics/features.

I hated the fps parts, and got through them as fast as possible. It would have been much better if they had made these parts into a movie or use artwork and a narrator. I feel that the fps parts do more harm than good for the well-being of the game.

I was surprised there was an FPS-part in the game. After quickly realizing that they weren't exactly aiming to be an AAA fps-title I think it was 'fairly enjoyable'. It did prolong the campaign in any case and I like long campaigns in general. :)

Though I keep wondering what else could have been improved and implemented if those hours put into the FPS-part would have been put somewhere else... I know they wanted to make it a more personalized experience by doing FPS but I think cut-scenes would have been enough for that.

I DID enjoy the campaign overall and was actually quite hooked on it but... In hindsight I would probably trade away the entire campaign and every cut-scene if I instead could have had a much improved and more polished strategy game. That was what I expected the game to be about in the first place and that is where the replay value lies

I like the concept of FPS. But FPS it self needs improvment, on controls, secondary weapons etc. I wished I had the option to retreive artifacts from Factories, Labs, hack HQ, and Command centers by assaulting them indoors in FPS mode, and find them.

FPS mode will have a great value if CC goes multiplayer. This game has a great future if properly supported by BI and community !

I'm a 42 years old gamer since my 12th. This is my sense about this game, and I have seen a lot of them. This one managed to make me feel exited instead of bored during gameplay as most other games do to me.

Bugs will be Fixed, AI and gameplay will be improved sooner or later by BI and community.

Edited by Sungsam

I wanted to play Carrier command not call of duty. :)

The fps parts were a pain but the campaign is still very good and fully enjoyable. I would play it through again without hesitation.

I understand that, it's a matter of taste, that's why I propose the ability to have an option in main menu maybe, for this FPS aspect on Buildings. :)

Well, a mixture of call of duty FPS and Carrier Command RTS as it is now, wouldn't bother me at all ! :p

Edited by Sungsam

I hated the fps parts, and got through them as fast as possible. It would have been much better if they had made these parts into a movie or use artwork and a narrator. I feel that the fps parts do more harm than good for the well-being of the game.

I would like to see the FPS mode to be an option in the strategy game, I want to be able to take a squad, board a walrus and hack an enemy command centre on foot, take droids with me as well and make the units selectable for direct control, I want to be able to steal blueprints from enemy research labs, steal enemy materials and vehicles, I think the FPS mode in a strategy game would be fairly easy for the devs to implement as this ability is already in the campaign.

I enjoyed parts of the FPS mode. It does its job as a storytelling element well. Unfortunately, it doesn't do its job as an FPS well, meaning even the sneaking parts are tedious and the building interiors are very monotonous.

The first person sections of the game are nothing more than a bonus...

A few of these sections are a little annoying, I really was not keen on running around the interior of some of the buildings to what amounts to playing guess which door is the right door, however one of the other underground sections related to the hammerhead part was actually interesting to see. and the long one on fulcrum was rather surprising from what I was expecting since its scope was far bigger.

The biggest suggestion would be to lower the mouse movement in half, and make them a little more harder in difficulty, however all this aside, its not why I purchased this game, Its not what I was expecting after watching pre-release video footage or playing the demo version. There are nothing short of a little bonus material which generally speaking don't ruin my experience.

I have mixxed feelings about it.

I like the FPS parts save for the fact that it felt like I was still in a tank. The mouse felt really sluggish, like I was moveing a tank turret. It took allot of getting used to since every time I got into FPS mode I expected my on foot mouse to be crisp and precise (it was not).

There was one part that I didn't like though: The missions when you had to take the long way around, I started to look for the auto run key so I could go afk while my guy ran.

---------- Post added at 07:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 ----------

PS, I cant bend over enough to see my feet.....

OMG, I HAVE NO FEET!! AAHHHHHH!!! hehehe

Aside from that first mission I found them pretty enjoyable yeah. Pretty limited but gave a touch of variety to the campaign

I rather enjoyed it. The voice acting is a bit ropey and the section was ridiculously easy, and a tad linear, but I rather enjoyed it.

A "skip" option would have been nice, for anyone who preferred not to do it.

Perhaps even a question: "You are sending a manta on a rescue mission. Boosting the signal will allow it through, or you can fly it manually. What would you like to do?"...

The FPS sections would be fine bar BI's fetish with mouse acceleration that you can't turn off. Oh, and the cheesy voice acting, SO MUCH CHEESE!

Yes, the mouse acceleration is what kills the FPS and makes it feel like a tank.

Even the old school shooters like unreal and the frist doom knew better than to put such horrible mouse acceleration into an FPS.

The only other thing aside from removing the crap mouse acceleration, Is that I would add a lot more patrol on the parts where you have to sneak around and do a lot of running; ) this would give you the option of fighing or sneaking your way through those parts.

Edited by Tontow
Because I felt like it :P

The on foot section was a bit weak, the speed of walking was inconsistent and it was a bit boring with just robot targets and no hit effects or anything. Should have skipped to the bit where you get in the first Walrus.

I liked the *concept* of having the fps section, where you capture the damaged carrier and get to work with it, but the implementation was rather crude, and not a challenge at all. And the cutscenes are very awkward by modern standards, it might have been better to go with pre-rendered gifs for each character, ala dawn of war 2, instead of trying to pull off big fully animated cutscenes with limited time, budget and man-hours. But yeah, I'd love to be able to jump in and out of vehicles and perhaps get better performance out of them while you're in direct control. Having more personal weapons to choose from would be nice; I'm sure there's plenty more the devs wanted to do with it but ran out of time.