Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

Where is the m-109 paladin?

Hi, all. Could someone tell me wherre the M-109 Paladin arty unit is of OFP. I would imagine it is out by now. I saw something about it in the forums a while back. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglasdsawan@earthlink.net

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dsawan @ July 01 2002,18:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi, all. Could someone tell me wherre the M-109 Paladin arty unit is of OFP. I would imagine it is out by now. I saw something about it in the forums a while back. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglasdsawan@earthlink.net<span id='postcolor'>

I think that the main problem all of the arillery mods are having is a simple one.... no artillery system exhists in OFP. In other words it's going to be incredibly difficult if not impossible to make a M109 that you can actually use for accurate indirect fire. It'll just basically be a big tank unless some highly skilled scriptors figure out how to make some kind of targetting system that doesn't rely on external scripts.

But unless BIS helps them with that I don't think it will be possible. But I hope I'm wrong.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ July 03 2002,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dsawan @ July 01 2002,18wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi, all. Could someone tell me wherre the M-109 Paladin arty unit is of OFP. I would imagine it is out by now. I saw something about it in the forums a while back. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglasdsawan@earthlink.net<span id='postcolor'>

I think that the main problem all of the arillery mods  are having is a simple one....  no artillery system exhists in OFP.  In other words it's going to be incredibly difficult if not impossible to make a M109 that you can actually use for accurate indirect fire.  It'll just basically be a big tank unless some highly skilled scriptors figure out how to make some kind of targetting system that doesn't rely on external scripts.

But unless BIS helps them with that I don't think it will be possible.  But I hope I'm wrong.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

Well I guess you are wrong. My M109 FIRES like artillery. Ai cant use it correctly, becasue they dont know how but you can it like artillery. Those who beta tested it know what I mean !

What range at 45 degrees? Just curious.

How about having a firing system similar to that of the m16 muzzle mortar, having a trajectory based on a True Perabella. Just scale up the range, power and speed of the mortar. oh aswell of the model of the shell of course.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Baztard1984 @ July 03 2002,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about having a firing system similar to that of the m16 muzzle mortar, having a trajectory based on a True Perabella. Just scale up the range, power and speed of the mortar. oh aswell of the model of the shell of course.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah that should do it. And then add two counters. One for compas heading and one for range. Kinda like the first artillery addon. Think it was made by someone called goetefunke or something like that

I'm pretty sure that if a muppet like me could think of it. Some clever chap could implement it. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (quakergamer @ July 03 2002,01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I guess you are wrong. My M109 FIRES like artillery. Ai cant use it correctly, becasue they dont know how but you can it like artillery. Those who beta tested it know what I mean !<span id='postcolor'>

Ok then please explain how it works. Screen shots maybe? If you mean that you can elevate the barrel high then that's not much of an artillery system. But if you mean that you can accurately fire at a target that is, for example, behind a hill, then I for one would be very impressed. The key word is *accurately*. I have a had other arty makers tell me the same thing but it turned out that all they had was a tank gun that fired at a high angle. There was no way it could be accurately targetted except for direct fire. I hope indeed that you have gone beyond this. If not maybe other people will enjoy just using it like a tank. I'd probably just use it as a prop and just use a bunch of artillery simulation scripts.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Any news on this one?

To echo others, basically all you'd need for indirect fire in general (in addition to being able to fire the thing at angles from 0 to 45 (artillery) or 45 to 90 (mortars)) is an accurate compass for horizontal direction and one for vertical, though it would simplify things if the vertical indicator showed just the accurate range.

well basically all you would need is something to tell you you were at 45 degrees and a bit of testing by the maker, as he can simulate different charges in the gun, to make one go faster/further than the other then he just loads the correct ammunition and a spotter gives a direction, think of the ka-50/bmp 2 kind of selecting process they have two separate 'magazines' in the gun both with separate characteristics so you can add 9 or 10 or more depending on the range differences you want, say every half kilometre up to 10km for ofp then slight adjustments in the angle will get what you need

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ July 03 2002,15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (quakergamer @ July 03 2002,01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I guess you are wrong. My M109 FIRES like artillery. Ai cant use it correctly, becasue they dont know how but you can it like artillery. Those who beta tested it know what I mean !<span id='postcolor'>

Ok then please explain how it works.  Screen shots maybe? If you mean that you can elevate the barrel high then that's not much of an artillery system.  But if you mean that you can accurately fire at a target that is, for example, behind a hill, then I for one would be very impressed.   The key word is *accurately*.  I have a had other arty makers tell me the same thing but it turned out that all they had was a tank gun that fired at a high angle.  There was no way it could be accurately targetted except for direct fire.   I hope indeed that you have gone beyond this.  If not maybe other people will enjoy just using it like a tank.  I'd probably just use it as a prop and just use a bunch of artillery simulation scripts.  

Chris G.

Well yes you can shoot target behind a hill. Ill show u an example smile.gif. Also the maximum range is 2km (In real life would be 4km at 45* but for OFP engine is betetr 2km)

I will fire like this

http://www.iquebec.com/quakergamer/m109_artillery1.jpg

After some minutes,i've climbed the hill and I saw where my shell has landed

http://www.iquebec.com/quakergamer/m109_artillery2.jpg

And then, the distance it traveled on the map.

http://www.iquebec.com/quakergamer/m109_artillery3.jpg

As you can see it went over the hill smile.gif

quaker

YOUR PALADIN IS TOO SMALL

yeah the skins are just light brown with some darker spots

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ July 15 2002,18:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">quaker

YOUR PALADIN IS TOO SMALL<span id='postcolor'>

WElll I compared it to DKM mod M109 adats, it dosent look too small :/

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (quakergamer @ July 15 2002,17:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ July 03 2002,15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (quakergamer @ July 03 2002,01:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I guess you are wrong. My M109 FIRES like artillery. Ai cant use it correctly, becasue they dont know how but you can it like artillery. Those who beta tested it know what I mean !<span id='postcolor'>

Ok then please explain how it works.  Screen shots maybe? If you mean that you can elevate the barrel high then that's not much of an artillery system.  But if you mean that you can accurately fire at a target that is, for example, behind a hill, then I for one would be very impressed.   The key word is *accurately*.  I have a had other arty makers tell me the same thing but it turned out that all they had was a tank gun that fired at a high angle.  There was no way it could be accurately targetted except for direct fire.   I hope indeed that you have gone beyond this.  If not maybe other people will enjoy just using it like a tank.  I'd probably just use it as a prop and just use a bunch of artillery simulation scripts.  

Chris G.

Well yes you can shoot  target behind a hill. Ill show u an example smile.gif. Also the maximum range is 2km (In real life would be 4km at 45* but for OFP engine is betetr 2km)

I will fire like this

http://www.iquebec.com/quakergamer/m109_artillery1.jpg

After some minutes,i've climbed the hill and I saw where my shell has landed

http://www.iquebec.com/quakergamer/m109_artillery2.jpg

And then, the distance it traveled on the map.

http://www.iquebec.com/quakergamer/m109_artillery3.jpg

As you can see it went over the hill smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Kewl. I guess that's going to have to be good enough. But I take it that you have to guess where the shell is going to land no? In other words is there any way to *accurately* attack a target you can't see? Or is it basically like a big M203 grenade with long range capability?

If it's basically like a big mortar I guess that's ok until someone figures out how to make a proper artillery system. The closest person to do that was Goetterfunke or however you spell his name. However the one thing he couldn't do was to make the targetting system adjust depending on the elevation of the barell (which didn't move because he used the dummy howtizer). But I think the only people who can fix that problem would be the programmers at BIS.

Even something just showing the gun elevation would be useful. That way at least once you found the target area, any other M109 gunners in your group (in a MP game) could match your elevation setting and all of you could fire like a real artillery battery.

Anyways aside from that I think your M109 looks alright. The front maybe looks a little odd but I'd have to look at a picture of a real M109 to critique it better. But just do your best getting the model looking realistic on the outside and then try to texture it nicely.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to your addon!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

the one of DKM is the right heigth i have made photos of the M109 with the crew next to it and in ofp i have put a soldier next to their paladin and its the same size as on the real life photos tounge.gif

It was mentioned that the maxium range would be 2km. THe acutal range of the M109 is about 18,000m or 18km (~10 miles). Why doesn't yours have a longer range?

If we're talking 1985, forget M-109A6, you'd have to go with the A2 or -3, for realism. As far as accuracy, use the Laser Designator. The M109 can fire Copperhead rounds (laser seeker head). Range and accuracy for conventional rounds, simple trig. Arty btry is at Hg69 and you need arty support at Bc24, point and right click at the spot you need it to rain down on by an FO (another mission!wink.gif), "0" for radio, "Fire Mission" say at "5", then another window to choose what type of target (ie. infantry, armor, trucks, whatever) which would then allow you to choose type of ammo and number of rounds, boom! gun bunnies do your thing, baby. Not that hard. Let the computer figure out propellent needed. It's always nice to have a forward observer to direct incoming joes, kinda like "Bomberman". The math is easy, the code is the problem, I guess, I don't know computer code writing. I've been a Redleg for over 20 yrs. Ain't nothing but a thing! biggrin.gif If you can lob a -203, a 155 or a 105 is the same principle. By-the-by, you'd need the gun angle more than 45 degrees for those small islands. How big are they again?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ July 15 2002,23:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the one of DKM is the right heigth i have made photos of the M109 with the crew next to it and in ofp i have put a soldier next to their paladin and its the same size as on the real life photos tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

actully, no, its kinda too big

paste this to your browser

http://www15.brinkster.com/mikoandniko/adts.JPG

its only 43kb

now look at this

I haven't seen anything very functional arty wise in OFP yet except for that one script that utilizes tanks as a battery. The mortar addon is pretty fun, but I would like to see arty. What is war without indirect fire support and CAS? AI suck at painting targets in OFP anyone know why? Works quite well when you are the guy on the ground lazing though.

You tag, Bush Bunny, I'll bag!

Gun Bunnies Rule! Arty, King of Battle!