Sign in to follow this  
ToxLaximus

Hard Facts of Life

Ya, its the if I'm pointed about right, keep moveing code. Problem is, sometimes F@#$@# it good enough, is not 'good enough' for pathfinding.

Well, tbh, this looks like the "high level" pathfinding, where fudginess is allowed. This bit just creates the next 'aim for' spot on the path, there'll be a level-2 pathfinder below it which translates that into actual motion code for the vehicle. My guess is that the level-2 optimiser takes time to work out a better plan from the level-1's "rough plan". Because this is the case, one could shorten the "PATH_DIST" so that the level-2 optimiser can take less time, and therefore improve the "25 degree of error" calculation... So something like this might make it a bit snappier (assuming there's no other code which would barf at such short path nodes):-

float dot = myOri * wantedDir;
if( wantedOri == ZeroVec ) // going forward
{
	if( dot > 0.98 )
	{
		// good enough, keep going straight
		ret = myOri * (PATH_DIST/4) + myPos;
	}
	else
	{
		// alter
		ret = wantedDir * (PATH_DIST/4) + myPos;
	}
}
else // going backward
{
	if( dot < -0.98 )
	{
		// good enough, keep going back
		Parent.SetMotionOrientation( myOri );
		ret = -myOri * (PATH_DIST/4) + myPos;
	}
	else
	{
		// alter
		Parent.SetMotionOrientation( wantedOri );
		ret = wantedDir * (PATH_DIST/4) + myPos;
	}
}

Edited by nww02

Another reason games devs keep undershooting release day is because of the age old gravediggers syndrome...

If it takes 1 person 8 hours to dig a grave then 8 people should be able to dig a grave in 1 hour, wrong, its take 8 hours for 8 people to dig a grave because you can only fit one person in the grave at a time.

Another reason games devs keep undershooting release day is because of the age old gravediggers syndrome...

If it takes 1 person 8 hours to dig a grave then 8 people should be able to dig a grave in 1 hour, wrong, its take 8 hours for 8 people to dig a grave because you can only fit one person in the grave at a time.

I like that and it's pretty much true. Another reason, speaking from experience, is publishers demanding last minute changes which means alpha ends up being done in beta, and beta is done for about 2 week prior to submission. But this is fine because the staff will work 14-16 hour days all week and the weekend in order to receive payment. The actual customer experience of this is a buggy game (or, if they are lucky) one that has been semi-fixed by a day 1 patch. Game dev design is a fluid and iterative process for sure but at some point the content and milestones need to be locked down and senior execs told where to go when they suddenly have a great idea about something :)

I've enjoyed the game just fine, yes the walrus AI is absolutely abyssmal but I have kinda gotten used to BIS vehicle AI being horrible over the years so whilst frustrating it also feels 'normal' :p

Rule one of fight club, you just don't talk about fight club.

While I am an advocate for free speech, all these rant posts seem counter productive; I would much rather have one intelligent conversation than wade through hundreds of rant postings.

Note that I call a rant, 'this sucks' and an intelligent conversation 'this is not very good because of x,y, and z'; the differance being facts stated in a calm manner.

Rule one of fight club, you can talk about what you want with when you have a VPN :p

The first rule of mod club is you do not talk about mod club.

The second rule is no circular reference paradoxes.

The third rule of mod club is no talking about going off topic.

The fourth rules of mod club is to find out what 'circular reference paradox' is.

The fifth rule of mod club is getting back on topic, 'the hard facts of life' are we have to wait for the modding tools, this is not easy :p

The paradox is the first rule, because by talking about it you've already broken it.

The first rule of mod club, therefore, is to wait for the bleeping API to be released ;-)

The second rule is to obey orders given by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Rule.

I think the third rule is something about not eating Pot Noodles... May be wrong on that one though.

If I know my history and I always do then pot noodles are made by terrorists and were designed to explode when you add the water, but when the c4 goes out of date it leaves a bitter after taste instead of blowing you up.

Fourth rule of mod club, never eat a pot noodle before the use by date.

I bet the moderates here love pot noodle, they have so much in common.

Edited by H4mster