Sign in to follow this  
Kenwort

SweetFX Shader Suite with ARMA 2

Hey guys, didn't see any other thread about this so decided to make it just to inform everyone. A new mod built on the InjectSMAA shader injector has been released. It allows you to apply a suite of post processing shader effects to your ARMA 2 game.

This is the official release thread for SweetFX.

I'll be posting new releases here and you can discuss SweetFX and post your screenshots and share settings here too.

So in case you're new to SweetFX Shader Suite (or just SweetFX), it's a mod built on the InjectSMAA shader injector, that allows you to apply a suite of post processing shader effects to your games.

You may have tried another shader injection mod before, like InjectFXAA, InjectSMAA or FXAAtool. SweetFX improves upon all of these.

You can add SMAA anti-aliasing , sharpening and tweak the color, gamma , exposure and more.

It's meant to allow you to improve the look of your games and change the look and mood of it to your liking.

If you use SMAA antialiasing instead of MSAA or an even more expensive antialaliasing technique you can also make the game run faster (than with MSAA)

It can currently add:

* SMAA (anti-aliases the image using the SMAA technique )

* LumaSharpen (Sharpens the image, making details easier to see)

* Bloom (Makes strong lights bleed their light into their surroundings)

* HDR (mimics an HDR look)

* Technicolor (Makes the image look like it was processed using a three-strip Technicolor process )

* Tonemap (Light and color adjustments)

* Vibrance (Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation)

* Sepia (Sepia tones the image )

* Vignette (Adds a vignette that darkens the borders to the image )

* Dither (Dithers the image making it look like it was displayed on a monitor with more colors than actually present )

It works with all 32bit DirectX 9 , 10 and 11 games (and many applications).

It does NOT work with 64bit game executables - use the 32bit version of your game if it gives you a choice between 32 and 64bit.

It works with all graphics cards as long as they support at least shader model 3.

It should work on Windows 2000 and newer, both 32bit and 64bit. So far tested working on WinXP , Vista and Win7. Windows 8 is untested - please report your findings.

It may work on Linux using Wine - please report your findings.

Current version is 1.2

You can download it here on dropcanvas. It's also on Skyrim nexus.

Original thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368880

Comparison with and without mod (sharpened, more colorful)

Disabled - Enabled

a9b5.th.jpg2Dr5j.th.jpg

Disabled - Enabled

GpFeP.th.jpgHWXLN.th.jpg

It's easy to setup and easy to tweak, so download it and experiment with it.

Make ARMA 2 look the way you want :)

I didn't tweak it too much so the screenshot comparison isn't jaw dropping.

Post your tweaks here if you wish.

It works with all 32bit DirectX 9 , 10 and 11 games.

Thanks for informing us Kenwort.

So it should work with OFP too ?

Sounds interesting, I always believed Arma needed more colour.

I will try this later ofcourse and I give some feedback after testing it.

Thank you!!!

Can you guys share your profiles - with comparison screen please. :bounce3:

There might be a problem with this in multiplayer. Just tried connecting to the server and the game crashed, tried it again and same thing. Anyone else has the same issue?

yes, arma already has some of these features. i've never used SMAA though. if i got it right it's less taxing than MSAA but what's the catch? is it quality-wise as good as MSAA or is it inferior method?

Thanks for informing us Kenwort.

So it should work with OFP too ?

One day, you'll have to evolve, OFP is a relic now, it's retro gaming for us!

Edit:

Here some tries, game launched twice once, the left instance is with SweetFX, whereas the right one is without. SweetFX is with default parameters, I'll make some tries while configuration it a little if I have the time ;)

280_thumb_29a38f97.jpg

280_thumb_5ea5ebb2.jpg

280_thumb_ff48b2bb.jpg

280_thumb_553557d3.jpg

280_thumb_2c1e1674.jpg

Edited by tom_48_97
some examples added (more)

I tried it, it's awesome !

More colors, more sharpen, and better AA with no FPS cost.

Thank you very much for sharing !

Well Julien i'm playing ArmA2 since the very beginning, but i'm still playing OFP for all it still have to offer. You can play both AND enjoy both, and you know what, i'm far from being the only one. But what it lacks are some modern graphic effects so that could be it.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Well Julien i'm playing ArmA2 since the very beginning, but i'm still playing OFP for all it still have to offer. You can play both AND enjoy both, and you know what, i'm far from being the only one. But what it lacks are some modern graphic effects so that could be it.
I knew it, that was a friendly taunt :cool: I've still have OFP installed :yay:

BTW, any update about joining a multiplayer game?

I'd come back to OFP anytime if I had to, no problem. Arma 2 offers more, but OFP is/was more than enough. When I stopped using OFP and started with Armed Assault (Arma 1 if you want), I remembering having plans for more OFP proyects for years. I think many people felt the same a the time, and still do.

I knew it, that was a friendly taunt :cool: I've still have OFP installed :yay:

Yay i know, but i never miss an opportunity to underline how great OFP still is :p (sorry for offtopicness...)

Only ofp I have now is the original xbox 'ofp Elite', the disc is still in the machine in the cupboard. Pc ofp must have gone with the pc it was on, I still play arma islands in a2, its great to be able to use much of the new content on the islands, and they perform really well now..

As for the topic here, tried it very little difference overall, had really good graphics anyway, but found it cost -12fps, so not a good performer for me..:butbut:

wow thank you.works like a charm and looks awesome.

here my settings so far.

http://pastebin.com/RSTS7x2h

i disabled SMAA ingame complete and it still works with great performance.

how the SMAA in SweetFX differs from our implementation of SMAA in engine ?

hi dwarden,

in fact theres no difference no matter wich implementation of SMAA you use (ingame or via SweetFX).

i run a few benchmarks,and compared it ingame,SMAA stays SMAA :)

anyhow i am using SMAA,saturation & sharpening forced true SweetFX because of the settings that you can tweak.

especially saturation and sharpening i am really enjoying.

hi dwarden,

in fact theres no difference no matter wich implementation of SMAA you use (ingame or via SweetFX).

i run a few benchmarks,and compared it ingame,SMAA stays SMAA :)

anyhow i am using SMAA,saturation & sharpening forced true SweetFX because of the settings that you can tweak.

especially saturation and sharpening i am really enjoying.

Exactly, the highlight of this is the vast array of OTHER options, not the smaa (at least in my opinion).

Where should the injector be installed when run with the OA beta?

I tried copying the files to Expansion\beta, since that is where the beta executable is located. But that crashed the game. A log.log was created in the A2 root directory with a hint to install the shaders to the A2 path instead.

Where should the injector be installed when run with the OA beta?

I tried copying the files to Expansion\beta, since that is where the beta executable is located. But that crashed the game. A log.log was created in the A2 root directory with a hint to install the shaders to the A2 path instead.

A2 root folder.

well i suggest you use ingame SMAA as we did some optimizing for our engine ...