Sign in to follow this  
jamyskis

DRM-free - Thank you Bohemia Interactive!

Hi all,

Thought I'd go through the horrendously complex registration process just to say a big thank you to Bohemia Interactive for making the retail version of the game DRM-free. I try to avoid Steam and games infected with DRM whenever I can, and in the light of experience I hardly ever buy Steam games any more unless I really, really want the game in question and can't get it DRM-free or on PS3. When CC:GM first appeared on Steam, I saw that it had Steamworks achievements and feared the worst given that I had been following it for years as a fan of the original. Thus I decided to leave the retail version be for a price reduction until a colleague informed me that the retail version was actually DRM-free.

Of course, I then decided to take a walk down to my local store that very same evening and buy the game full price, and am loving every minute of it.

So again, BI, thank you for not following the DRM insanity that the PC market seems to be suffering from at present!

I think the sprocket version of CCGM uses tages protection, which I believe is a form of DRM. I could be very wrong though.

Edited by Joote

Tages is one of the harshest DRMs, actually. Steam version uses steam DRM, which is very fair and good.

Back to the glory days of pc gaming, when games just installed and worked and could be modded easily.

Yeah steam is pretty good I have to admit.

Wait, are you saying that I can get the game for PC, on DVD, without DRM? No need to have the DVD in the tray? No connection to the internet? No registration whatsoever?

Maybe I'll get a copy after all

Hi all,

Thought I'd go through the horrendously complex registration process just to say a big thank you to Bohemia Interactive for making the retail version of the game DRM-free. I try to avoid Steam and games infected with DRM whenever I can, and in the light of experience I hardly ever buy Steam games any more unless I really, really want the game in question and can't get it DRM-free or on PS3. When CC:GM first appeared on Steam, I saw that it had Steamworks achievements and feared the worst given that I had been following it for years as a fan of the original. Thus I decided to leave the retail version be for a price reduction until a colleague informed me that the retail version was actually DRM-free.

Of course, I then decided to take a walk down to my local store that very same evening and buy the game full price, and am loving every minute of it.

So again, BI, thank you for not following the DRM insanity that the PC market seems to be suffering from at present!

Thank you for the kind words, very glad you are enjoying the game.

Wait, are you saying that I can get the game for PC, on DVD, without DRM? No need to have the DVD in the tray? No connection to the internet? No registration whatsoever?

Maybe I'll get a copy after all

No. Upon first install there is a one time registration that requires an internet connection. After that, your free to rock and roll.

No. Upon first install there is a one time registration that requires an internet connection. After that, your free to rock and roll.

thanks. That means I will wait at least until a few bugs are fixed.