Sign in to follow this  
FetishFool

When pakistaini weddings go wrong...

http://www.cnn.com/2002....ex.html

This was posted a week ago and it says that "many of the relatives were killed."

But the news on the radio said that the groom's ENTIRE family was killed as well as others.

Sad, ain't it?

Kind of sad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A mortar shell meant to be fired in celebration of a wedding in a Pakistani tribal area exploded prematurely Saturday, killing at least 25 people, including the bridegroom and many of his relatives, officials said. <span id='postcolor'>

Which happened to be facing towards the americans? It seems odd to be firing artillery at a wedding. oh well, it is a trajic event

If that's a Pakistani wedding, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a Pakistani divorce! wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 01 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If that's a Pakistani wedding, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a Pakistani divorce! wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LMAO biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 01 2002,08:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If that's a Pakistani wedding, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a Pakistani divorce! wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

F that, just think what would of happened if they won the World Cup? They got nukes, don't they? LoL biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

The fact that these events happend at a wedding may not be a sad as we think. In muslum countries, arn't people forced into marrage? and the bride//groom is chosen by the parents arn't they?

in the muslim religion , normally , the parents can't force their children to marry with anybody if the children don't agree , this is the normal rule , but some families don't respect this rule and marry their children because of their own interest

Seems to be some kind of sport these days to dumb some payload onto weddings; in Bagram (Kakarak), Afghanistan up to 250 people are reported to have been killed (the numbers vary) by bombs dropped from U.S. bombers during a wedding ceremony.

An official of the province Urusgan told media sources that about 40 people had been killed with another 70 seriously injured, with the majority being children and women.

Guests of the wedding ceremony had been seen firing salute shots as it is tradition on weddings, before the over 2 hours lasting aerial strikes on their party occured.

An U.S. military spokesman declared that their groundforces and a recon aircarft received fire, so a B52 and other machines were ordered to attack.

Pretty fucked up world, isn´t it? sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 02 2002,04:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Very sad, but also very foolish. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

So they shoot guns in the air instead of throwing rice.

*tongue firmly in cheek*

Then again, America likes droping boms on anything that appears to be warlike (like Canadians in training missions) so it shouldnt be a surprise they'd accidentally bomb a wedding wink.gif

Perhaps the US needs to get some intel guys that understand local traditions well enough to not assume that people firing into the sky are a threat?

Not that I dont think it was a stupid move by the US but and Afghan wedding probably looks like a huge mob of poor people or a militia building up, especially if they all have guns. Well I dont know that for sure because Ive never been there but I doubt everyone is dressed in tuxes and white dresses.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 02 2002,06:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't you think that people with weapons period are a potential threat?<span id='postcolor'>

People with shoulder launched AA weapons, sure.

A bunch of people shooting AK47's into the air? Hardly. I am certain there are stories of attack jet's being shot down by small arms fire in Vietnam but we're talking an AC-130 and B-52's here.

Thing is, the US is in Afghanistan. It behoves them to at least be aware of local custom and not just go gung ho to drop bombs on anything that might even remotely resemble a gathering of opposing forces. A little on the spot intel could have saved them a lot of egg on the face.

Hell, using common sense, I think the LAST place I would look for Taliban forces would be near some village or another...and I sure as hell think they would be smart enough not to stand in a group and shoot into the air.

There are reports they were coming under antiaircraft fire. I'd like to see the proof of that... To me it just smacks of more cowboy warfare. And yeah..I am ranting wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 02 2002,09:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A bunch of people shooting AK47's into the air? Hardly.<span id='postcolor'>

Just postulating but if you were flying a fighter and saw numerous tracers heading your way at night, could you make such a mistake?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thing is, the US is in Afghanistan. It behoves them to at least be aware of local custom and not just go gung ho to drop bombs on anything that might even remotely resemble a gathering of opposing forces. A little on the spot intel could have saved them a lot of egg on the face.<span id='postcolor'>

I would think that after such an event, locals should have the sense not to fire weapons for fun in a war zone. Plain and simple.

I'm not going to so quick on the draw to assume that the US overreacted, based on the immediate circumstances of events that they encountered.

Tragic, yes. Cowboys, maybe, but none of us really know.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 02 2002,08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would think that after such an event, locals should have the sense not to fire weapons for fun in a war zone. Plain and simple.<span id='postcolor'>

So they should change their traditions because there is a war going on? Sheesh. And unless you play OFP, AK47's generally arent loaded with tracer, are they? wink.gif

Hopefully this was a case of self defence with some rather tragic collateral damage...

But I am not holding my breath, all things considered.

And for the record...if I was a pilot and came under fire...I'd likely be more than willing to be a cowboy. Thing is, I am not a pilot... wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So they should change their traditions because there is a war going on?<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely, if it means saving lives.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 02 2002,08:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So they should change their traditions because there is a war going on?<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely, if it means saving lives.<span id='postcolor'>

So...considering there is a war going on...and shipoments of fireworks could, in theory, be used to mask shipoment of explosives to cause havoc on the 4th (Yes, I know it's a massive stretch, but I am trying to prove a point) shouldnt celebrations be cancelled? After all, if a terrorist cell managed to detonate explosives in say Washington DC during a 4th celebration, it could cause a great deal of damage...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 02 2002,09:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So they should change their traditions because there is a war going on?  Sheesh.<span id='postcolor'>

I assume, like most religions, that when a traditional non-binding and non-obligational religious custom may endanger lives, it can be temporarily discontinued.

I don't believe you'll find a verse in the Koran that says "Thou must fireth bullets in the air at betrothals", especially since there were no bullets back then. smile.gif

How many Moslem weddings in the US or Europe have you heard of where the guests pull out their AKs and full burst them into the air or into the wedding hall ceiling?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And unless you play OFP, AK47's generally arent loaded with tracer, are they? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

1. Since so many carry guns there and since so many may not be sharpshooters, tracers might be their aid (with disadvantages) of finding their target.

2. It certainly is more entertaining in outdoor evening weddings.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ July 02 2002,08:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. It certainly is more entertaining in outdoor evening weddings.<span id='postcolor'>

RIGHT.

Sorry about the dome of the mosque. We'll be right around tomorrow to patch the holes.

LOL. smile.gif

I am not disagreeing that some traditions dont make a great deal of sense. Heck, in winter Canadians eat a horrid fried confectionay goop thing called beaver tail whilst skating on a canal. Makes very little sense to me.

My point is that as silly as their traditions might seem to me or you and I, we need to respect them.

i really don't see 'tradition' in shooting in the air. it would have started less than 40 yrs ago, and consider it some sort of substitution for lack of entertainment method by those ppl.

so they can change it.

but I'd need more info about what happened to judge anything.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So...considering there is a war going on...and shipoments of fireworks could, in theory, be used to mask shipoment of explosives to cause havoc on the 4th (Yes, I know it's a massive stretch, but I am trying to prove a point) shouldnt celebrations be cancelled? After all, if a terrorist cell managed to detonate explosives in say Washington DC during a 4th celebration, it could cause a great deal of damage... <span id='postcolor'>

Uhhhh, is the U.S. in close proximity to any major conflict? No. Theoretically, if there was such a threat (possibly from terrorists) then yes, not holding pyrotechnics shows would be prudent.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 02 2002,08:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uhhhh, is the U.S. in close proximity to any major conflict? No. Theoretically, if there was such a threat (possibly from terrorists) then yes, not holding pyrotechnics shows would be prudent.<span id='postcolor'>

The sad fact (and I truly lament any terroist actions. It's just reprehensible in my opinion to perpetrate such...attacks) is that the US is in rather close proximity to a very unvonventional war. I doubt prior to September 11th many americans thought about how close terrorism would and did hit home. sad.gif

I dont envy any law enforcement officials for the next week. You can bet there will be a lot of overtime for everyone to make sure something nasty DOESNT occur.

My point still stands...almost everyone will agree that normal ways of life that might endanger you in a certain situation should be changed...until they are asked to change. Then it becomes an intrusion and too often ignored.

More bodies piling up. I wonder how long it will be before more innocent blood has been spilled by U.S. in retaliation to 9/11 than was spilled in the actual event of 9/11?

What a waste. And of course the gang of high-ranking tangos that actually did it is still mostly at large.

"Mars the god of war and the blood-red planet. For you we unfurl our flags, for you we let our hatred flood, for you we water these fields with blood." -Some Bloke-