Sign in to follow this  
domestar

Blocky shadows in OA/ARMA2

Hi,

I got all my gfx settings almost at max, but still the shadows are extremly jagged, almost blocky in a way. Even the model got this bad quality shadow.

What can be wrong? I got Nvidia gtx480

thanks in advance

Hi,

I got all my gfx settings almost at max, but still the shadows are extremly jagged, almost blocky in a way. Even the model got this bad quality shadow.

What can be wrong? I got Nvidia gtx480

thanks in advance

Post a link to a picture (not the picture itself, just a link to the picture) of your shadow problem your having, someone might be able to tell you if its normal or not.:)

These edges are just as bad on the model itself, and shadows in general.

Im pretty sure this is not normal ;)

the questions are do you have a high resolution screen and what level do you have anti alias at?

I have anti alias off but I have a 1920X1080 monitor so I dont need it, but sometimes my shadows look silly, and only at close range(10/20m), at medium range(21/100m) they look fine.

I basically have everything at max, anti aliasing is at very high i believe (and tried to troubleshoot with different AA settings).

The monitor is set at native resolution, 1920x1080. I think this is a driver/gfx card issue as i see other ppl have the same problem, yet to have it solved tho..

The shadows is not suppose to be like this, and also causing alot of texture flickering. This def ruins the immersion for me. :(

In 1st person your shadow looks o.k., I would think, but in 3rd person as you say its blocky, but to be honest it’s the same for me, but I play in 1st person more or less all the time and definitely in mission, as its far more immersive, so shadows are more or less perfect (well for a2 they are), so I don't get the problem;).

However that said, I understand that if you like to play in 3rd person it may be a bit off putting. Changing aa does not effect it nor does changing any other settings much, I think it’s a problem that may have become more prevalent with the ongoing patches and beta’s, not sure. Maybe someone who has played a2 in 3rd person for some time may be able to help more in reducing the effect via config settings or whatever.

To the other poster, the idea you don’t need aa with a 1920x1080 screen is a little odd, I play in 1920x1080 and it certainly makes a difference on mine, try it with or without aa looking at tree’s for instance.:p.

couldnt play the game with out AA! I need it at 2048/1536. If you dont use AA then you will have crawling and jaggies.Higher Rez will only make them smaller not get rid of them. On topic, yeah its a 3rd person view issue, you can try to do full Screen AA, and or double your 3d rez ingame.