Sign in to follow this  
flyinj

Has anyone ever had any challenge from the enemy carrier?

I've read all the threads about enemy carrier problems, but I'm wondering, has anyone actually seen the enemy carrier do anything intelligent or aggressive at all?

I've played about five strategic games so far, and won all five of them after taking about two islands. The enemy carrier will inevitably attack a friendly island, I'll show up, and the enemy carrier will take off to another island. I'll pursue, and run into the enemy carrier again. This time it will be making a bee-line directly towards me. I'll man my main gun, take about 7-8 shots at it, then turn my carrier around to pursue it. Then, every single time, it will just stop in the water and do nothing while I pound on it until it dies. Then I win.

I've never seen it try to turn to use it's main gun on me, it has never deployed a manta or walrus to attack me, it simply doesn't do anything.

In all seriousness, I don't think there is any combat AI on the thing at all... it just has a web of waypoints it follows, and if you interrupt it between two waypoints, it just stops in the water and does nothing.

This unfortunately makes the game completely pointless to play.

I've never seen the enemy carrier deploy a walrus or manta at all. It seems broken to me.

Yeah it keeps running away, even though I give myself 4 starting islands and he has the rest. That Carrier is a wuss.

Yeah it keeps running away, even though I give myself 4 starting islands and he has the rest. That Carrier is a wuss.
What are your victory conditions set to? That might have something to do with it.

Regards to the enemy Carrier running away: That's a problem I've had occurring in my current (Strategy) game a lot lately. The strangest thing is that when you arrive at a friendly island where the enemy carrier is present it runs away from the ISLAND not the your carrier. This difference was rather spectacularly demonstrated to me as he proceeded to go leave via the way I came; right through my Carrier and the two Walrus I had deployed (and I mean smash bash through me, not magical clipping)!

What are your victory conditions set to? That might have something to do with it.

No, it does not have any dependency on this.

It's sad, but i have to say there is a bug when enemy carrier undocking his units. But i believe it will be fixed in upcoming patch.

!

Starting islands at lvl1 bar and strength which is 1 down from normal setting. Oh nvm.

It's sad, but i have to say there is a bug when enemy carrier undocking his units. But i believe it will be fixed in upcoming patch.

Thank you for letting us know, appreciate it a lot! :)

Regards to the enemy Carrier running away: That's a problem I've had occurring in my current (Strategy) game a lot lately. The strangest thing is that when you arrive at a friendly island where the enemy carrier is present it runs away from the ISLAND not the your carrier. This difference was rather spectacularly demonstrated to me as he proceeded to go leave via the way I came; right through my Carrier and the two Walrus I had deployed (and I mean smash bash through me, not magical clipping)!

This explains everything. The only thing the enemy carrier is programmed to currently do is to island hop between waypoints. If it happens to randomly select fleeing to the island you came from, it just barrels through you without engaging and eventually just stops dead in the water and allows you to kill it. If it randomly decides to flee to an island that you didn't come from, you can never catch up to the carrier and it just starts a takeover timer on another island.

The game basically consists of you going to the island it's attacking, then hoping the script told it to "flee" in the direction you are approaching from, then you kill the carrier or you try again. That's the entire game right there. It's like hunt the wumpus with just a grid and the wumpus. Pathetic.

To the developer who just posted- you said there's a bug when the enemy carrier deploys it's vehicles? Can you explain exactly what this means?

Are you saying that the enemy carrier currently can't deploy it's vehicles, and that is what is causing the carrier to not even engage the player? Or is the fact that the enemy carrier has absolutely zero AI a completely different problem?

If you fix this "bug" where the enemy carrier can't deploy it's vehicles, does this mean that when you arrive at an island the AI is currently attacking, you will actually see the enemy carrier's Mantas and Walruses on the island attacking facilities and defenses? Does this mean the enemy carrier and your carrier could potentially be fighting each other with all their vehicles over a contested island?

Is the enemy carrier supposed to be actually using it's vehicles to attack an island, or is it all just a smoke and mirrors timer that counts down an arbitrary number then the island is taken over? If this is the case, what exactly is the enemy carrier supposed to do when you show up at an island it's attacking other than run away?

Overall, what exactly will fixing this "bug" do to make the strategy game and actual... well... game?

Well All I can say is that the enemy carrier would actively engage you in the beta. Dunno whats changed if anything.

Well All I can say is that the enemy carrier would actively engage you in the beta. Dunno whats changed if anything.

Waitt, wha? What beta did you play? But that may have been only cause of the smaller amount of islands.

Beta 2. It would typically engage you if you arrived in the island it was on, mess you up, then turn around and leave.

Not played this in any form but owned the original way back. Its going to be a huge let down in my view and a missed opportunity if Carrier battles are limited.

The original disappointed a bit in that you knew the carrier cheated but hay it was about more the fact of the control you had back then. Easily pleased back then that we could fly around our own ship while it moved and watch a Walrus also. The warp back then was a necessity due to the limitations of what you could actually do.

But today I’d want to be surprised, out foxed on a level playing ground. If players feel cheated then they loose interest and the magic of what could have been will have been lost. Look at DayZ it’s such a hit as its refreshing that a game lets you make your own fun, every time you log in its different. Surly after so many years of development an Ai should stand up on its own and be counted and give you something different of a challenge. This is why I thought they would go with the original game mode and make random islands give you a fresh challenge time after time.

I always think I want to win yes but I want to win by the skin of my teeth as the saying goes. Taking an absolute pounding in the process from an Ai to respect makes the game for me. I so wanted this game to be a hit and hope it still can be but its not good reading so far I can tell you.:(

My friend asked me how I liked CC after playing for a while now, and I sent him the following message. It's long, but I hope BI will read at least the last couple paragraphs for ideas about ways to improve this game:

Uhhh, glad you asked.

CC is the single greatest strategy/tactical hybrid game ever made IMO. But it suffers from a major problem which to me is game-breaking. I'm not talking about crashing or other technical issues. I'm not even talking about the terrible path-finding which can be very annoying at times. I'm talking about the game RULES.

As you may remember, I said CC is about trying to take your opponent's islands as he tries to take yours. As you're out there doing your thing, he's busy in real time doing his thing. You get messages saying he's attacking such and such island. If you're nearby, you'll go there to stop him. He almost always runs, heading toward a new island to take. I wish he ran a little faster....

You see, sometimes you catch him. When you do, a small skirmish ensues. You then limp off wounded and he does the same. You both take time to repair and then go back to your thing. When you cross paths again, the same thing happens.

The only thing is, I became very good at attacking the enemy carrier. I became better at it than I think the dev's intended. My tactic was to overwhelm them with firepower, using not only my gun batteries but launching every jet and amphibious tank from my decks. Usually a person won't risk them since enemy carriers have powerful countermeasures. But if you can take out the countermeasures on just one side of their carrier then launch the assault on that side, they're as good as dead.

The first time I tried this, I destroyed their carrier within the first hour and received a "You have won" message asking me if I wanted to continue. Well, of course not. What's the point?

The next time I played, I specifically set the game options so that killing the enemy carrier wasn't a victory condition. This meant I would have to take every single island to win, and killing the enemy carrier would just be incidental. In that game, I indeed killed the enemy carrier. And then it hit me: what am I doing now? I need to take every island to win, but it's going to be so freaking easy it's not even worth playing. Sure, some of the islands are very well defended. Some of them may take an hour or two to defeat. But without the threat of the enemy carrier actively trying to take my own islands, I literally have all the time in the world. Imagine Skyrim with no enemy NPCs. You get the quest to find Jurgen Windcaller's horn. You have your map marker to the dungeon. You go there. You walk through the dungeon. No fights. You find your way through the puzzle of corridors and chambers, find the horn, then walk back up the 7000 steps. It would all be very time consuming, but not very challenging. I felt the same way about playing Carrier Command without an enemy carrier.

What they SHOULD have done was make it so that if you destroyed the enemy carrier, you had free reign of the map for a certain amount of time while they produced a new one. This would give you time to take back lost territory, repair your ship and produce new materials. But eventually, the enemy carrier would be back and you'd have to contend with them. Likewise, if your carrier was destroyed, you could construct a new one as well. Time would advance more quickly and while this is happening you would have to watch the enemy take one of your islands after another.

It seems like such a no-brainer that I can't believe they didn't do this. But they didn't. And as a result, you could put hours and hours into a campaign and discover it was all for nothing with one lucky shot against the enemy carrier followed by a very untimely, unfortunate and un-earned "You Win".

What they SHOULD have done was make it so that if you destroyed the enemy carrier, you had free reign of the map for a certain amount of time while they produced a new one. This would give you time to take back lost territory, repair your ship and produce new materials. But eventually, the enemy carrier would be back and you'd have to contend with them. Likewise, if your carrier was destroyed, you could construct a new one as well. Time would advance more quickly and while this is happening you would have to watch the enemy take one of your islands after another.

It seems like such a no-brainer that I can't believe they didn't do this. But they didn't. And as a result, you could put hours and hours into a campaign and discover it was all for nothing with one lucky shot against the enemy carrier followed by a very untimely, unfortunate and un-earned "You Win".

I whole heartedly agree. This would give hours and hours of fun and challenge ...