Sign in to follow this  
Sardinia

Anyone else waiting for the big mod/patch to save this?

Am I the only one who feels like this is an unfinished game a few patches or a nice mod away from being enjoyable? Right now if I had the option I'd ask for a refund as the game just isnt fun. And I love all strategy games from the total war series to dwarf fortress.

So comon BI you can do better.. and comon modders, save this game.

No, instead of waiting, I'm making the big mod (no guarantees it'll get done, I have exactly zero lines of production code done so far - still experimenting :))

No, instead of waiting, I'm making the big mod (no guarantees it'll get done, I have exactly zero lines of production code done so far - still experimenting :))

And I certainly commend you on that. :)

I'm not a strategy game fan at all but CCGM is a lot of fun right now though I do wait for the SDK to have some more fun. IMHO the SDK will extend the fun not start it.

You realize that the mods you're going to create will need constan updating, cause it is obvious that multiple patches from BI will follow i guess

You realize that the mods you're going to create will need constan updating, cause it is obvious that multiple patches from BI will follow i guess

As someone playing OFP/Arma for ages now I'm used to constant updates, patches, and betas. And I quite like the way BIS handles patching and supporting mods. And yes, it would occasionally require you to update your mods to account for the new/changed functionality. But the devs handle changes in the code base really openly around these forums and on the bug trackers. It's not a deal breaker.

Yeah, of course. And that's also why I'm waiting for at least one patch. The code will need a LOT of refactoring anyway, and I expect BI to do some of it because I can't see them maintaining the current code they shipped in the messy condition it's in.

So tonight I'll probably check everything into a mercurial repository on my home server so I can, for every patch, see exactly what changed where (down to every single number in every .ENT file for the worlds and every single pixel in a .DDS file, and every line in every script).

It's not that hard to update mods if you have the means to do that. I am also looking forward to how BI is going to implement mod support on their side, because currently I am looking for a backdoor to load custom content without shadowing files using directories.

Edited by Thygrrr

I have already got value for money for this game. That said I'm really happy to see folks who know their stuff and are into modding showing interest. With them and BI's clear intention of supporting modding this can become something really special.

Myself, I'm no programmer but I have fooled around with 3D-modelling and graphics in general. I'm looking forward to the "Island Editor". Would be nice to be able to create islands and maybe other types of 'maps' to to share with others. :)

On the other hand, there is a good chance for some really good mods to be adopted by BI and included officially in later patches. This is not fantasy of mine, there are examples of such in other companies / products. Sometimes community if far ahead of developers.

On the other hand, there is a good chance for some really good mods to be adopted by BI and included officially in later patches. This is not fantasy of mine, there are examples of such in other companies / products. Sometimes community if far ahead of developers.

This has been talked about more than once on different occasions and BI's statement on that matter has been rather clear: too complicated to handle and not likely to happen!

That said, all my contributions to Carrier Command are public domain / property of BI where applicable, so they can do with it all what they want. I also don't expect them to do anything with it, though. Too risky, also legally (imagine some modder puts in a backdoor...)