Sign in to follow this  
a_w

Just sharing my thoughts on evading, muted mechs and masking device

I've played through tutorial and have thoughts I want to share:

Would be nice if walruses while docking, automatically turn to enemy evading tactic, if it hardly damaged, and not going through enemy base just because its shorter(especially when there are enemy warlus partol detected). Also, would be nice If player will be able to mute warluses and mantas so they will not attack close enemies. Not sure is there are in-game Masking device that makes invisible my mechs to enemy?

Thanks

so you want units that are invisible and can evade enemy fire while sneaking up on the enemy base using AI.

Uhm.... ok...

Stealth has its place - knock out the enemy radar array and the enemy will engage you at much shorter distances.

As for the walrus taking the shortest path first - you can set individual waypoints - so define its route if you want it to go different ways.

Yes, I want enemies more aggressive -- radar should not affect manta's vision, because, from the top it's natural to see enemies in direct. And adding to this masking device would be good addition, i think.

And yes, I've tried to set waypoints for warlus, but it always was destroyed because it takes too much time to decide how to handle stone on the road or just turn left or right.

These are drones - not humans. The game even specifies "limited" capability for AI. These things don't have "vision" like a human to start with. They all have sensors - fed, maintained and controlled - which is why knocking down Radar shortens their engagement range.

I guess I am confused - because on one hand you want the enemy to "be more aggressive", and on the other you ask to be invisible and able/or to dodge their fire. That is like asking them to basically have them shoot at you more - but always miss. If that is what makes a game more exciting for you, maybe someone will just mod in invulnerable player units or something.

As for waypoints and pathfinding - I keep hearing about this problem, but haven't seen it except under specific conditions. To be detailed, a single walrus traversing an island works fine. Now yes, if you send it in front of guns or enemy units - its likely to die. Scout and clear a route! "Pathfinding" really only becomes an issue when I have walrus teams over 2 - the "following" AI is where the problem is. 3 Walrus's trying to follow one - and all 3 trying to be "first".

If your having serious pathfinding problems - make sure your patched up.

If your units get destroyed because of the route they take, scout the route and take out threats.

Provide cover or support for your units.

Approach the situation tactically, be patient.

I have played this game - in beta and in release - for months. If its not a "Deadly" ranked island or a battle with the enemy carrier - I don't lose a single unit. That isn't because of great piloting skills (the Manta flies like a truck) - its because I am patient. Take out radar stations and ground/air factories so that enemies you destroy are not replaced. Either take the controls yourself, or use overwhelming force - but never get cocky. You have to manage your units if your just ordering them around from the map. One gets damaged, get it out of there. Manta's work best for either "command" attacks or for single assaults as they are not limited by impassible terrain during a retreat.

You attack an island without much regard for its static and mobile defenses, or try a raid without scouting and opening a safe corridor - there isn't much room to complain when your units go "boom".

As for waypoints and pathfinding - I keep hearing about this problem, but haven't seen it except under specific conditions. To be detailed, a single walrus traversing an island works fine. Now yes, if you send it in front of guns or enemy units - its likely to die. Scout and clear a route! "Pathfinding" really only becomes an issue when I have walrus teams over 2 - the "following" AI is where the problem is. 3 Walrus's trying to follow one - and all 3 trying to be "first".

That is wrong, a single Walrus is just as capable of not managing to navigate switchbacks, driving into walls (repeatedly), off cliffs and into lava - I gave up using the "Assist" function and have still seen all the problems in 1.2 ... The DEVs have even acknowledged it as a problem.....

G

Gazzareth,

I can only speak from my own experience. No doubt yours has been different. I simply have not seen any real pathfinding problems. Maybe its my style of play. Heck maybe its a difference in horsepower (I have a rather... unique rig). All I know is I have seen a grand total of 3 times - since starting out early in P&C - that a single Walrus has had a problem that required some type of intervention by me. 3 times in what is 150 hrs plus of gameplay? That isn't bad at all. I have never lost a unit due to pathfinding. I have never seen one stuck to the point it can't get out. I don't see this as endemic to a problem. Obviously others have seen different behavior. But I can't support complaints based upon behavior I haven't seen. I can only relate my own, personal experience and that is that this isn't a problem.

Good for the Devs to see an issue. Maybe they can replicate it. I can't.

As much as I used to hate a certain programmer for saying this....

"I don't know what your complaining about - it works on my computer."