Sign in to follow this  
Hud Dorph

Serverbrowser testings

I have done some ingame serverbrowser testing as i wondered if the public multiplayer on

arma was dying out.

I used to have my server quite well populated, i would go as far as to say it was in the top 30

over well populated servers.

As it is now i should be happy if 10players join within 24hours. Maybe the no of players just was going down,

but no.

Most of us know that when gamespy changed their service to show max 500 servers at a time,

we had a problem. Actions was taken by BIS to make changes to the ingame browser (longtitude/latitude),

that works not perfect, but quite well and aceptable.

Out of 30 refreshes of in game browser my server showed up 1 time.

Out of 30 refreshes of ingame browser with latest beta patch my server showed 15 times

Now as i asmume if we look at non-DayZ players, far the biggest part run latest official patch and not

beta, i can clearly understand why i get no players on my server.

This to remind devs that maybe its essiental to get the new serverbrowser features out in a public patch asap,

before the remaining public playing dies. As it is now i might as well close my public servers.

If you have such issues, please provide specific information, like the server name, ip, location and what filter settings are used. Thanks

Edit: Also mention exact client and server version used.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

Ip are in my signature - 91.100.101.163 - servername are: [HUD]Arma2CO Server1 DOMI BAF/PMC and as i wrote

latest beta patch - that would be atm 97771.

But this is not specific a problem to my server, but the way things work or rather do NOT work, till the serverbrowser workarounds

gets public. My whole point is that we are in dire needs to get theserverbrowser fixes to the public fast as poss, the state its in now is real bad for public servers.

Here is a quick way of showing the problem.

Open the ingame browser with latest public patch (no beta) - no filters - sort by name - write down the name of the first nondayz server you see - refresh serverlist any number of times and see how many times that particular server appears on the list.

I can put the beta on my server (have done) but as long as 90% of clients dont use betas we have a big problem.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

Yes I fully agree with your main point - a new full patch should be released ASAP. :(

However the new browser implementation still has problems too.

Like I cannot find your server unless I use remote or filter for the name.

In the default view or with ping limit disabled (even though its ~60ms for me), it is not shown. :confused:

(even with latest beta not)

There are right now 6238 OA servers i see.

If gamespy returns an entirely random sample of 500 servers your server will show once in 12.4 refreshes on average...

yes i agree the new browser in the betas have issues too - i see my server on aprox every second resresh

allthough i have only 15ms latency and longtitude/latitude on server/client are within 100km.

And when it does not appear there are lots and lots of servers with +300 latency.

But all in all the beta are heck of a lot better than the one in the public patch.