Sign in to follow this  
krunkert

Couple newbie questions

Just started the campaign and I think I'm about 5 islands in and I'm starting to run into problems. So I'm just gonna rattle off some questions and see if I can't get some answers. I love the game and think its got HUGE potential but pathfinding and these other things are killing it for me.

1) I can see you can repair/rearm a walrus at a enemy repair/reload spot. But, I have not been able to do the same with a Manta, usually I just fly it back to the carrier and switch to another one. So am I just missing something simple?

2) I'm not able to research armor, lasers, or any of the improvements for my mantas or Walruses. Do these schematics just pop up after time or do I have to find them, if so where?

3) Seems like every island has all these firewalls. Not sure if I'm missing out or something but I usually just fly my manta to the command center and blow it up. Then build a new one. I'm sure I'm missing the point but what is to be gained by hacking 4 spots on a island and getting done in 40 minutes something that can be done in 10?

4) Manta's are horribly squishy and Walruses have the same pathfinding intelligence as my TI-85 calculator. So either I turn my walruses loose and lose 2 while I'm trying to protect them in my manta or I let my Manta's lose while I micromanage my walruses. My Manta's will inevitably find an AA gun and sit in front of it. So is there a trick or I just need to constantly switch between them both.

5) If I'm in Manta A can I tell Manta B to dock without telling every unit in the game to dock and without switching to map and giving up control of my manta for a second (In that one second he will surely find a AA gun to stand infront of or find a mountain to crash into).

Thanks in advance,

Krunkert

2) In the campaign, you unlock new items by capturing islands- some of them have a research facility on it. If there's something interesting there, your collegues will mention that you might want to go have a look.

3) Blowing up the control center means you have to rebuild it. The modules you need are more costly and take more time to build than the hacking module. In strategy mode, when you're trying to build up your army, that can be valuable time best spent on something else. Also, it takes a considerable amount of time for the control center to be rebuilt, during this time it's very easy for the enemy to just pop in and take things over.

However, it's very relative. If your enemy isn't too smart (as the AI currently is) there's nothing wrong with just blowing stuff up.

4) -No, the TI-85 is much more reliable. And yes- wait for the patch, or babysit your units. In strategy mode, you unlock tier 2 armor for your manta's giving them a decent chance of survival against some enemy fire.

5) Yes! Very clever actually. You hold control, then press the desired number. This will co-select your unit and the one you want to command. Then, use the radial menu to give the dock command. Now, your unit, and the one you wanted, get the dock command. Considering you're piloting yours, only the one you wanted heads back. Same works with "move" commands- useful for walrus babysitting.

1) Nope... you can only re-arm, repair and refuel the Walruses on the island, the mantas have to head back to the carrier.

2) These improvements become available as the game progresses

3) Fair strategy... but you still have to get your walrus in to rebuild the command center, and once you begin doing that it takes a good while for the command center to become active... you're probably quicker just going through the hacking

4) The AI in this is becoming notorious! use your Mantas for strike missions, manually controlled, and once you get better armor and weapons (as well as more mantas) use them in groups to attack bases, defences, etc remotely

5)You could tell all to dock using the "wheel" and just retain control of your manta to stop it docking... Or you could just get more practice not aiming your manta at a mountain when you leave it...

2) In the campaign, .....

5) Yes! Very clever actually. You hold control, then press the desired number. This will co-select your unit and the one you want to command. Then, use the radial menu to give the dock command. Now, your unit, and the one you wanted, get the dock command. Considering you're piloting yours, only the one you wanted heads back. Same works with "move" commands- useful for walrus babysitting.

Good information. Thanks.

Is there a way in the campaign mod to refuel a walrus when it cannot make it to a refuelling point?

Is there a way in the campaign mod to refuel a walrus when it cannot make it to a refuelling point?

Only if you have reached the point in the campaign after you have invented hooks for the manta, that way you can use a manta to airlift a walrus and place it down exactly in front of a refuelling station or next to its carrier docking bay.

What about a manta out of fuel on land ?

With the skill only the gameing gods can master, take the other mantas and give it a piggy back ride to the landing pad.

But better to keep a good eye on the fuel and refuel after each air strike.

A walrus without fuel WILL very slowly move to its docking point but it can take HOURS. You are better off bashing the thing along with another Walrus if you don't have a hook. And moving the carrier close to it if its in the water.

You really don't have an excuse not to keep your mantas fueled up. They can fly. send them back as soon as you get the warning.

1) Nope... you can only re-arm, repair and refuel the Walruses on the island, the mantas have to head back to the carrier

Thats correct for the spots on the island.

BUT you are able to repair your Mantas on island, without flying back to the carrier:

with the repair gun of a Walrus. Maybe manually... but it works - have tested it.