Sign in to follow this  
Mr Butlertron

Giving up after halfway through the campaign

(minor spoilers) After completing a large multi-mission task and conquering all the islands

a second chain of islands open up and another multi-mission task is assigned.

Once that occured my heart sank. I was literally disappointed that there was more game to play, and I always shirk tiny CoD-length campaigns. The core gameplay is just so boring. Islands that seem to be nothing more than randomly-generated height maps. The same two unoriginal units, as player-controlled and enemy. Every island plays out the same. Approach one of the identikit bases, roll forwards and backwards whilst firing to destory enemy walruses. Get under enemy mantas so they can't lock on. Take out turrets and troops if you're bored. Take out the scrambler/firewall/whatever. Repeat until you reach the command base. The AI is so simple I can picture the code for it in my head.

Even the FPS levels are a welcome break from it. Some later missions are more manta-friendly once they're upgraded but it doesn't make the islands go by quick enough for it to be bearable. Having to babysit your teammates, getting stuck on the environment. The thought of having to go through it again just fills me with dread.

Well, multiplayer would definitely fix this. It wouldn't fix singleplayer, but it's a real bummer to see no multiplayer in what could be a real gem among coop and strategy battle game.

So you don't like small campaigns but you were disappointed there was more game than you thought?

Why would you want the islands to go by quickly? I think the opposite, the island conflicts are the core of the game and I think EVERY island should have had all four of the mini-objectives (first take out the scramblers, then the shield boosters and then the firewalls and finally conquer the command centre), and don't show me on the map automatically where everything is, show me what they look like on the first island and then make me actually identify them. Maybe even have red herrings that once you hack them, turn out not to be the one you needed to hack. Or a time limit before reactivation, like once you hack one firewall, you have a certain time to get to the next one before the hack gets patched, or once you have the last firewall down, a certain time to hack the command centre before it self-destructs. I think the mechanic of automatically revealing everything on the map just because you flew near it makes it like you are being led by the hand too much.

Anyway sorry you don't enjoy it, but you must have known what the original game was about before you bought it.

So you don't like small campaigns but you were disappointed there was more game than you thought?

Because this game was boring.

Why would you want the islands to go by quickly?

See above. And the OP.

Anyway sorry you don't enjoy it, but you must have known what the original game was about before you bought it.

Wargasm and Hostile Waters have the same features but manage not to make me sleepy.

My situation is the opposite. I have two islands left and I am sad that the campaign may be coming to a end. Up to this point I have enjoyed every moment except the for fps segments. Those I try to get over as quickly as possible. :)

My situation is the opposite. I have two islands left and I am sad that the campaign may be coming to a end. Up to this point I have enjoyed every moment except the for fps segments. Those I try to get over as quickly as possible. :)

Its the same for me with one exception.

I enjoy every aspect of the game, including the FPS parts.

How anyone can find the campaign to to be as unappealing as the OP describes I dont understand, but to each their won.

If you dont like the campaign, then why are you playing it?

Why dont you play the strategy game instead?

You dont have to play the campaign.

If you dont like the campaign, then why are you playing it?

I've stopped. As I said in the thread title.

Why dont you play the strategy game instead?

Because the gameplay foer taking islands is identical minus the cinematic dressing. I'm beginning to wonder if you even read the OP

This game is going to rock in future, if BI decides to not let it down. Until now they have shown they are not intent to.

It has great potensials and many futures can be and will be added to integrate gameplay. It is also very modable and BI is looking forward to provide the tools to us.

I have a feeling that development will be continued on every aspect. There is no other game to match Carrier Command currently. Be insightful ...

Edited by Sungsam

Im in the same boat as the OP, the enemy carrier just got loose to very little fanfare, I chased it around one of my islands for a while and nothing happened, im sick of the repetitive nature of the capture the island missions and I'm bored of the game. The sh**house path finding didn't help. There's no challenge, loosing is unimaginable (literally, I don't think its possible to loose, its just a question of how long it takes to win) Not going to go back to it, BI got my money, well done to them. Another 2 - 3 months of development and this would of been awesome. Fail.

It is a sandbox where you cap island while chasing the enemy carrier playing hide and seek. What do you think the old carrier command is about?

I love to see what mod the community will come up with, the only reason i'm willing to buy this game.

I expect the enemy carrier to become aggressive and maybe I become the one that has to play hide and he has to seek, from time to time?

"Run away always despite overwhelming advantage in firepower" is not a way to win a war.

Also, I would of liked to see some sort of coordinated AI or higher level function to the island defenders. "Sit around in small groups and don't react at all to enemy behaviour unless directly confronted" is equally poor tactics.