Sign in to follow this  
hellbender81

Torpedo and sinking enemy carrier

Need help with this one:

After taking Fulcrum, the mission is to find the torpedo that can enable me to sink the enemy carrier. I have now captured (and searched) all islands on the map (of course the enemy have taken some back) but still no sign of the torpedo. I then tried to engage the enemy carrier without it and won..... 3 times in a row, but it keeps "respawning" and I can't seem to get on with the campaign.

Can anyone help me with this, either with how to find the torpedo or in another way?

Hi Hellbender,

You gain the torpedo on the island of Thermopylae, where you also get to use it. To get the assault on thermopylae mission, you need to disable the geothermal power stations on the surrounding volcanic islands, should be one or two. Be careful when you are attacking those islands as there is a bug where people have taken the island, got a cutscene, and then could not disable the power plant as the coolant box disappeared. So do this:

1) Head to one of the volcanic islands, if the coolant box is there (said in a dialogue) then,

2) Pick up the coolant box with a manta and drop it into the geothermal power plant's lava pool,

3) When you ave disabled 2 or so, you should get the dialogue saying you can head to thermopylae

Some more input:

I also took those surrounding islands before dropping the coolant on the lava. When I had captured those islands the message to pick up and the indication of where to pick up the "bucket of water" disappeared. This is the problem. Fortunately I was clever enough to and remembered to do it right after I captured the islands before moving on. Though there was then no indication of where the "bucket of water" was ince the island was captured.

So maybe you can go back to those islands where the generators are. Scout after "the water bucket" (coolant or whatever the name was). Pick it up with a with a hook equipped Manta and drop it in the lava pool (two pillars are sticking up close to drop point). The waterbucket/coolant is a round thingy sitting close a buildings somewhere.

Thanks for your help, Dram and Scepticer!

However, now it seems I'm more lost than before. :-)

I don't have Thermopylae, or any other Volcanic island on the strategic map. After taking Fulcrum, I get access to 11 more islands east of Fulcrum. The mission is to search these islands, but after taking them all, there has been no cutscenes or tasks to find any power stations or the island of Thermopylae. What are the names of the surrounding islands, and do you have any idea what I could have done wrong?

It is doubtful you did anything "wrong" - there are sometimes scripting errors that show up in the campaign. With that said, did you take each island by hack - or did you destroy some of the CC's and rebuild? I have found that destroying the Command Centers can create gaps in the campaign. The islands usually show up after you take the Marsh islands.

Hmmm, you might be on to something. I took all islands by hack, except for two in which I destroyed the CC by accident. I'll try to "lose" the marsh islands and take them back to see if anything changes. Thanks!

Hi there!

I have a question, regarding the torpedos, but not in the official mission of Thermopylae. I want you out there in the forum ask about the torpedos that you can build in the strategy game.

I`tell you my story, perhaps you can help me to uncover what I am doing wrong...

Well, as I said I am out in the ocean, conquering islands. At first I took the easy ones, the green islands (neutral side), the carrier was no where to see, so I had soon a beautiful chain of production, with which I could produce Hammerheads (tried and enjoyed from a distance with a drone camera :-) ) And of course the torpedos. I reached a red islands (foe island), where I strapped on the belly of a Manta a torpedo just in case... The other mantas had shields and simple rockets. The enemy carrier was in the vicinity and I took my Torpedo Manta and tried manually to lock on to the carrier, I saved me with afterburner and tried an other approach, this time giving the AI the hands full, but the Manta fired rockets and his plasmashots, but the torpedo remained under its belly. Then I took again control, I tried to approach again the enemy carrier using this time the USE function (like when you get a walrus with the hook), but the torpedo remained glued to the manta.

What I am doing wrong ? Please help. (I do not want sound desperate, since with shields I have other options to drive away the carrier)

You have to switch current weapon to the torpedo. This is done with the mouse wheel.

A million thanks to you. It worked. I finally sent the enemy carrier where it should be. I attacked at night time and with bad weather, therefore I could not see any trace in the water of the line the torpedo was following, and because I was less than 300 meters from the enemy I had to disapear quickly, but I could see that at least one of my two torpedoes that I had launched reached its destination.

Great cutscene when it goes down, pity you cannot rewind it. LOL