Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

Does an Space sim game with FPS parts in it exist ?

Hi,

i'm looking for a game which probably doesn't exist.

Anyway, does something even close from the following exist ?

- a space sim game, with the ability to pilot spaceships, explore the universe, fight etc.

- FPS parts, ie ability to board ships or space stations etc. and live an FPS experience.

For example, you pilot a space fighter, fight your way to the enemy capital ship, then board it and fight in an FPS way ?

Yes, star trek online but im sure that's not what you're about.

Yes, star trek online but im sure that's not what you're about.

Ah, yes, i forgot to mention that i don't want MMO games !

Precursors

Parkan II

Salvation Prophecy

Did you play any of them ? How are they ?

Precursors......it's a huge mega cluster buggy mess.It's made by some russian company that also made(or tried) another sandbox type game like Xenus White Gold.

Keep an eye on X-Rebirth,it's space sim,economy sim and it will have a first person mode to walk on ship or on stations.Not exactly fps part.

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/screenshots_en.php

Basically it's pretty hard to have this space sim+decent fps combo although I would love to pilot a capital ship then be in the boots of a boarding squad marine.:)

Did you play any of them ? How are they ?

I listed them in order of quality. Precursors is amazing for what it is, but all 3 feel kinda lacking in the space combat part.

Space combat in Parkan II was rather boring, but the game's nice overall, if a bit cliche and technobabble-laden. Also, the main menu theme (and music in general) is awesome.

In the pure space combat department there had not been anything better than Idependence war II: Edge of Chaos. Its the only Space sim where you can maually fly on pure newtonian ship behavior and it incorporates believable subsystem failures.

but its quite old by now

In the pure space combat department there had not been anything better than Idependence war II: Edge of Chaos. Its the only Space sim where you can maually fly on pure newtonian ship behavior and it incorporates believable subsystem failures.

but its quite old by now

That looks very interesting, is it playable withot Joystick?

That looks very interesting, is it playable withot Joystick?

It's very cheap here on Gog (http://www.gog.com/gamecard/independence_war_2), and somehow patched to allow modern system to run it. Read the comments though, they are very interesting and informative on why you should (or shouldn't) buy it.

BTW, i'm trying FreeSpace 2, with all the mods that makes it looks very nice on modern machines. For less than 5 €.

but its quite old by now

Haha, I can remember that one... The game always lost me when I had to go through hyperspace.

(Interesting sidenote: The thing with the 3D orientation in space is still a matter of research today! Like "how can I show the pilot in which direction the spacecraft is pointing, in which direction he is flying")

X3-albion prelude (or Terran Conflict) is nice but it takes times before getting in. The terran campaign is very hard.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to play on first person and you don't have any cockpit (mods can fix that).

Freespace II is classic. There are mods to update it to moderns standarts.

Freespace 2 is indeed good, but doesn't match the criteria. This thread is about space sims with FPS sections.

Haha, I can remember that one... The game always lost me when I had to go through hyperspace.

(Interesting sidenote: The thing with the 3D orientation in space is still a matter of research today! Like "how can I show the pilot in which direction the spacecraft is pointing, in which direction he is flying")

It was always tough on me when I was trying to write space stories too.

I wish they would make such space sims today, complete with newtonian physics. But I guess that would be to complicated for the casual crowd...

I would love this aswell... even arma scifi mods are few and no space travel :(

hopefully A3 will generate some cool scifi content with the mod community :)

Nrrrh, Arma 3 is not arma, sci-fi rubbish ruined FOREVER!!!1

/this setSarcasm 0

Actually, Arma does need a good space travel mod.

Yeah can't wait.Keep an eye here http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

More space sims should have fps sections or at least first person walking.:)It's more immersive and you don't feel so detached in space.Imagine if you could land on stations or inspecting your capital ship.

Arma 3 could have a more futuristic mod but it would need a proper map too,maybe a future city.

Edited by Krycek

I wish they would make such space sims today, complete with newtonian physics. But I guess that would be to complicated for the casual crowd...

You'd be suprised how hard it is to navigate manually through space in a realistic system! Just take a look at todays aircrafts. Todays pilots would literally not be able to navigate and fly a modern aircraft from... lets say Frankfurt to Melbourne without making everybody sick or using much much more fuel. The human mind is not capable of supplying that much attention over such a long time to that many systems.

Its quite easy to say "I want to have a realistic game". You'd need years and years of training for anything nearly realistic.

On Topic

I would be happy with a Freelancer 2 :)

Edit

Yeah can't wait.Keep an eye here http://robertsspaceindustries.com/start/

Nice catch!

Edited by kavoven

Its quite easy to say "I want to have a realistic game". You'd need years and years of training for anything nearly realistic.

Not really. I learned FreeFalcon 5.5 (one of the most realistic sims out there) in about a month. Learning it well is another matter, but "Years and years of training" are only needed to become good enough to be trusted with the real thing, especially if it's a fighter outfitted with live, deadly weapons, or an airliner with 100+ other people aboard.

Regarding realistic space sims, try Starshatter. It's a bit on the futuristic side, and has some serious limitations, but since it went open source, just give it a few years and watch it turn into a Falcon 4/Orbiter hybrid. No FPS component, but you can command warships, not only fighters.