Sign in to follow this  
Ershin

career

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to be asking about this; it seemed to be the only "help" forum available. Also: sorry about the incredibly unhelpful topic title. It was supposed to say "Lost all progress in career". I had temporarily renamed it to try and search for related topics, but apparently I forgot to change it back.

I recently completed career mode, and on a lark, I decided to try replaying the very first mission (when I first tried it, I screwed up the section where Joe asks you to try banking, and I just wanted to see if there was any real difference if you did it right). But now, even though from the main menu you can clearly see that I have completed all of the main story missions, when I actually try to "continue" from the heliport, it's as if I'd only ever completed the very first mission. Everything, including the luxury helicopter I had just purchased, along with all of my money and progress is gone. I even tried loading from the final mission and completing that, hoping that whatever flag might have been triggered by starting over would be untriggered by completing the game. No such luck though.

Is there something that I'm overlooking, and perhaps there's a different method for continuing? As I said, all the missions are available from the main menu, and they only disappear once I've tried to load.

Please help! As much as I've enjoyed this game, I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it much if I have to lose all my hard work and start over from scratch.

I guess if that's the only option available to me...well maybe I'll try out some of the expansions or something. ;_;

I was really looking forward to unlocking some more copters though. And especially looking forward to trying out the luxury medium I'd just bought.

Hi Ershin,

Try opening your profile with Notepad, and look for an entry( use 'CTRL+F' ) call 'lastSPMission', what does this say?

It would appear that I lost all my progress as well.... Hmmm... Curious.

Profile Location:

%USER%\Documents\Take On Helicopters

Or if you created a different name:

%USER%\Documents\Take On Helicopters Other Profiles

Hi Ershin,

Try opening your profile with Notepad, and look for an entry( use 'CTRL+F' ) call 'lastSPMission', what does this say?

It would appear that I lost all my progress as well.... Hmmm... Curious.

Profile Location:

%USER%\Documents\Take On Helicopters

Or if you created a different name:

%USER%\Documents\Take On Helicopters Other Profiles

Well, it says "Benchmark (Seattle)". I tried that after getting frustrated with the loss of my Career progress. So maybe that's not really helpful.

Well I can't say anything specifically on this, but to add to the mystery:

If you are on the leaflet-distributing south asia mission and decide to skip it, at least in my case, this puts "Heliport: South Asia" in the list of career missions where I would expect the mission itself to appear. Selecting this and trying to revert to that point in the campaign simply gives me a black screen and kicks me right back out to the mission select screen. I can, however, go to the Seattle heliport and use the headset in order to trigger the memory and replay the mission.

Also, I have noticed several times the options to "Resume" a mission even when I have never actually played it, and once or twice the game has crashed when I select "Resume".

Not sure what's going on in here but something doesn't seem quite right.

Yeah I went to check my profile, and noticed - It too, had been wiped clean. I am also having a problem where my settings just *poof* disappear, and my TKOH defaults to the Noisecontrollers Orange... My Joy stick remains untouched, but my visuals are all messed up; including my layout for my ingame windows...

This just started happening in the last couple days, as I have had this game since December 2011, and have not had one problem until now.. Odd...

So, hmm. Would it possible to simply edit that file to regain my progress? I wouldn't really know where to start, but if it's possible, that's at least reassuring news.

Actually I think the intention may be to always go back and select "Heliport" from the career mission select screen, then use the heliport menu (Esc > Heliport) or manually use the file cabinets in order to replay missions. I'm in a hurry atm and can't test it out; also, I'm not sure if this applies after beating the campaign or if you can restore your progress.

It's a sim, though, do this missions over and over until you've aced them anyhow ;p

EDIT: Sorry, reread your post and I'm afraid perhaps I misinterpreted how your problem manifests itself. I'll let you know what happens when I beat the career mode myself, at least :P

Edited by dwringer

Actually I think the intention may be to always go back and select "Heliport" from the career mission select screen, then use the heliport menu (Esc > Heliport) or manually use the file cabinets in order to replay missions. I'm in a hurry atm and can't test it out; also, I'm not sure if this applies after beating the campaign or if you can restore your progress.

It's a sim, though, do this missions over and over until you've aced them anyhow ;p

Well, that may have been the intention, but I literally can't (although at this point it's "couldn't") select contracts from the file cabinets, and in addition, all my helicopters were gone. So I think the intention probably went awry at some point if that's how it was supposed to work.

But I figured out a not-entirely-satisfactory-but-good-enough solution. I still have to replay all the career missions, but I found a way to cheat my way into getting back the chopper I'd purchased without having to grind contracts to get it. I just edited a custom mission to award me the full price of a luxury medium upon completion of a task. It's not perfect, but oh well.

Edit: (didn't see your edit). Yeah, you misunderstood. I'm sure you're right that it's supposed to work that way, but probably they didn't intend on people redoing the very first mission...I'm pretty sure that's what caused the problem in the first place.

Ershin,

I have lost all my Career advancement as well. I had it worse though, I had a Heavy, 2 Mediums and a Light, all of them had at least 3 paint jobs and everything you could add to them; FLIR, camera, Skid Benches, etc, etc...

I don't know what happened really. I have had this game since December 2011 and not one problem with it. I have the Steam version. too. Do you have Rearmed? Do you have ArmA2/AmrA2Free? It is only since I have added ArmA 2 Free, through Rearmed that this has happened to me. I also had to go into the properties of my Sven2157.vars.TakeOnH Profile and select 'Read Only' because the game keeps overwriting my settings...

Very odd indeed... :confused:

Yeah, I have the Steam version as well. Rearmed and Hinds, too, although I haven't had a chance to play them yet (to be totally honest, I'm a real newb when it comes to PC gaming. I got my first-ever gaming rig just a couple months ago). I can't even find where I'm supposed to enter the CD-key for Hinds...

I also have the full version of Arma 2, though, so I dunno. I haven't played any Arma since getting TOH, so I don't think that's probably what caused it.

Sounds like you should do the same thing that I did, Sven. It won't get your progress back, but at least you won't have to grind to repurchase all your copters. >_<