Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

80s, 90s, early 2000 US Military

When I release it I will include editor notes which will include most of the hiddenselections.

I grew up watching Heartbreak Ridge. It kind of inspired me to join the Marine Corps. I got to see where parts of it that were filmed at Camp Pendleton. I often listen to Sea of Heartbreak by Don Gibson while working on these units for inspiration.

I just wanted to show a preview of my M7 bayonet for my Marines. Apparently the Marine Corps did not adapt the M9 bayonet as a replacement in the mid 80s and kept the M7 all the way up to the early 2000s where it was replaced by the OKC-3S bayonet.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/M7%20Bayonet.jpg

I just wanted to show a preview of my M7 bayonet for my Marines. Apparently the Marine Corps did not adapt the M9 bayonet as a replacement in the mid 80s and kept the M7 all the way up to the early 2000s where it was replaced by the OKC-3S bayonet.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/M7%20Bayonet.jpg

Nice, cool background too...

@Gabravo. I've never been to Lejeune. I was a west coast Marine. But it worked for Heartbreak Ridge. Notice in the movie they were careful in their camera angles not to show the San Mateo mountians.

In the Air Force, we called those "Summer Weight" and "Winter Weight" BDU's respectively. And, I think I saw this earlier, but we wore black t-shirts underneath our BDU's in the AF as well.

Summer weight has these lines of thread that you can see horizontally across the uniform IIRC. And the Winter weight did not. That was a visual way of telling the difference. If you were wearing them, you'd definitely be able to tell the difference. I think the Navy and USMC had the same concept.

For the Navy and Marines, this was true back in the '90's. The horizontal threads were a rip-stop material in the summer weight BDUs. I was never issued winter weight (had no reason to), but my summer weight had this and were much lighter than the Marines I was with who had the winter weight versions (with no rip-stop).

Hey gents, I think we've talked about the BDUs enough. There's about three pages of BDU talk. Lets talk about the weapons of the 80s and 90s. What man pack launchers did they use?

Hey gents, I think we've talked about the BDUs enough. There's about three pages of BDU talk. Lets talk about the weapons of the 80s and 90s. What man pack launchers did they use?

You mean AT system's? M72 LAWs ('63-now), M47 Dragons (Also known as the piece of shit for its inaccuracy('75-'01) and Redeyes ('86-'95) and Stingers ('81-now) to my knowlage.

Edited by Scarecrow398

Yea, but by service and role. I can only learn so much from wikipedia.

I'm probably going to have to make these weapons because I don't think anybody else wants to.

Yea, but by service and role. I can only learn so much from wikipedia.

I'm probably going to have to make these weapons because I don't think anybody else wants to.

What weapons in particular are you trying to replicate? There are a lot of weapons mods out there already and pretty much every US infantry weapon from the 80s-90s I can think of has been modeled. The only weapon I can think of that is lacking in a high quality implementation is the M60 there are only two that I know of floating around a cut down spec ops/para variant and a standard variant both which have an ok model but use a crappy ladder sight which is very hard to use in ARMA. I'm not an expert on weapons so I don't know exactly what the sights on the M60 were like...

Combat uniform looks very good, but it lacks the effects of aging. It looks like it's new, just produced.

There's actually a lot of weapons that aren't out there, like the late 80s early 90s Colt Models and the first gen Colt M4s with 4 position LE collapsible stocks. There's also no 1st gen M249 SAWs and the SAW in game has a picatinny rail, making it unsuitable for most of the 90s. The only M60 is the game's M60E4, which wasnt really used by Army or Marines. And there's a couple of launchers missing too.

I don't want to use 3 different weapons packs nor do I want to make my addons depended on ACE or CWR2. The weapons would also have to be accurate and realistic so more than likely I would have to make my own pack.

I don't want to use 3 different weapons packs nor do I want to make my addons depended on ACE or CWR2.

ACE is the base addon for most ArmA 2 community. I have no idea why someone don't want to make ACE compatibility for their mods in the first place :(

I don't want to use 3 different weapons packs nor do I want to make my addons depended on ACE or CWR2.

Understandable, but honestly the people with the skills and interest to make the models have most likely already done so and so they're distributed among the various already released addons. Getting someone to make them for you again probably isn't going to happen, you could ask for permission and conglomerate their efforts but it looks like it you're on your own. I really appreciate the level of realism that you're going for here but just keep in mind that most people won't use the default loadouts for units. Mission makers almost always have scripted kits. Anyway I'm eagerly awaiting the release keep up the good work.

Also not to beat a dead horse but TheChaos is right I think the models could do with a more dirt/grime and overall a bit more of a washed out look. For reference here's a re-texture for some cold war dutch units that have a reasonable amount of weathering (only gripe is they went overboard on the boots, they should still be recognizably black).

Fzvlo.jpg

Edited by Falcon_565

I didn't say I wasn't going to make it ACE compatibile. I said I didn't want it to be depended on ACE. I firmly believe people should have the freedom to use the addons how they see fit with or without ACE or any other dependents. I realize nobody wants to make a weapons pack, so that's why I probably will have to.

Also not to beat a dead horse but TheChaos is right I think the models could do with a more dirt/grime and overall a bit more of a washed out look. For reference here's a re-texture for some cold war dutch units that have a reasonable amount of weathering (only gripe is they went overboard on the boots, they should still be recognizably black).

http://i.imgur.com/Fzvlo.jpg

It's too grimy, I think :) But yes, more washed out look will be good :)

For reference here's a re-texture for some cold war dutch units that have a reasonable amount of weathering (only gripe is they went overboard on the boots, they should still be recognizably black).

http://i.imgur.com/Fzvlo.jpg

i am trying to think, do i gave or not permission to re-do Project85 UK soldiers with ColFalkner webbing ? hmmm, nice mud btw.

cold war Dutch units ?

Delta Hawk if you need help with hiddenselection or anything like that, PM me i also have Redeye and such like stuff in P85 if any cooperation could be

Edited by vilas

ACE is the base addon for most ArmA 2 community. I have no idea why someone don't want to make ACE compatibility for their mods in the first place :(

Because making addons is not an easy road to follow in the first place. Speaking as a mod maker myself, adding ACE into the mix just makes it more complicated. As Delta Hawk rightly said addons should be freely used and not dependent on one mod or another.

@Delta Hawk perhaps ask the CWR2 guys if they would donate any of their weapons for your mod/addons?

Edited by R0adki11
spelling

Because making addons is not an easy road to follow in the first place. Speaking as a mod maker myself, adding ACE into the mix just makes it more complicated. As Delta Hawk rightly said addons should be freely used and not dependent on one mod or another.

@Delta Hawk perhaps ask the CWR2 guys if they would donate any of their weapons for your mod/addons?

It does not have to depend on ACE, all it needs is a seperate config that the user uses when running ACE. And i'm sure if Delta does not want to make one, if he allows it, thier are many people out there who could and would most likley be willing to make configs for it.

On the other side of things...

He should focus on getting the base addon out before thinking about ACE anyways.

@Delta Hawk

Keep up the awsome work.

ACE doesn't even have the nessecary weapons besides the ones from the original game. I'll ask the CWR2 for some help.

Please stop with the suggestions of making the BDUs more dirty. I've already addressed this.

CSLA have a Minimi that with some slight edits to the handguard texture and maybe the flash suppressor model?, can fit the role of a First Gen M249.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/18/17521/CSLA_AFMC_FNMinimi.jpg

Might be worth a PM.

Indeed.... one of the better Minimi's ones out there...

I found a M4 Carbine model you can modify into different variants to save time, on my HDD as-well you can have, though its just the .max file, it has no textures and its 46k poly so you'll have to tear some detail out... (what's the limit again? 20k or so?)

Edited by Scarecrow398