Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

80s, 90s, early 2000 US Military

Looking great as ever. Although I agree that both the units and the vehicles could use some more dirt/mud. Most missions made for ARMA don't represent units in garrison, they represent units in actual combat scenarios who have been fighting for hours or days in the field. I don't think you have to an extreme with weathering but I think the units should look like they've been rolling around in the dirt for a while.

Hmm, i was thinking along the lines of the USMC force recon, fairly clean but have dirt on their knees, elbows and such, it could always be done through hidden selections to save space anyway.

No 737 but there's hell of a lot of models out there, i made this up, noting the differences between each model that's been used at some point by the US military, seems it went in reverse chronological order so use the left arrow to go forward >_>

That's a really great summary. Thanks for sharing. One minor correction...the CQBR has a 10.3" barrel. Lots of internet noise about 10.3 vs 10.5, but the actual Crane weapon was a 10.3 (and in service today). LMT sells the 10.5" version.

That's a really great summary. Thanks for sharing. One minor correction...the CQBR has a 10.3" barrel. Lots of internet noise about 10.3 vs 10.5, but the actual Crane weapon was a 10.3 (and in service today). LMT sells the 10.5" version.

Out of all the mistakes that's what you picked up? haha, thanks i'll change that over.

Out of all the mistakes that's what you picked up? haha, thanks i'll change that over.

I didn't want to bring up the lack of that third "special" pin above the safety in some of the pictures.... Seriously though, that's a great resource to see everything as it was developed.

I'm really trying to avoid me having to make the weapons cause that will cause another 5 months of work.

I'm not going for the COD MW, BF3 bias, cool perception of the US military or even the BIS perception. I'm making my addons as accurate as possible and only two of of 20 something references shows hmmwvs with noticable amounts of mud on them. The rest have slight to no mud on them, including HMMWVs in the field. This is one of the two HMMWVs with noticeable amounts of mud that has been in the field for about 3 weeks. Not much mud. The only reason why my tires don't look like this is because 99% of tires don't look like this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/100_0494.JPG

This is my HMMWV with a plain OD green paint job.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/hmmwv_16.jpg

And the cammo version.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/hmmwv_15.jpg

HMMWVs are looking sexy! Love the Goodyear tires; that's attention to detail right there!

The sun bleaching...the subtle scuff marks all over, the smearing and darkening of the camo's edges and thinning of the inside.. ...doesn't...shine..one..bit...gotta say..I wasn't a huge fan of the detail texture but you've made it work with all of that subtle detail. It's so nice to see a fresh take on a humvee with a more prestine appearance and I hope you don't mind that I hope in future you expand into even more variety's ;) Would you also be willing to share your secrets on how you made such natural streaks along the wheel well?

The only issue I have with it would be the tires, not the diffuse but the normal map, it makes the tire look rather flat and the treads too sharp rather than partially beveled thus getting an effect such as this http://data.primeportal.net/humvee/tool_m1076/Dsc06220.jpg it also causes the treads to have the same lighting all over for the most part rather than a lit and shaded side like this http://data.primeportal.net/hummers/mng_humvees/Dsc08007.jpg

I'm not sure how familiar you are with methods so I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know. There is a process called baking to copy light information from a high poly model to a low poly and get relatively the same lighting, http://timspanjer.com/images/3d/3d_misc/imgbig/humvee_tire.jpg now I would like to offer the part in making this tire for you if you decide to go that route. Truth be told in future I plan on working on a tire pack in general, so this would help me out as well by giving me another tire finished and ready for that time. If however you would rather take it on yourself then I will provide you tutorials and answer questions if you have any pertaining to it (granted I can)

One last suggestion, the detail on the tire adds nicely to the asthetic below, but they would add even more if you add those details to the shadow LOD, so that they cast shadows as well, in fact it may not hurt to add a few more parts such as the rings in the hood, the brush guard, the more the merrier really.

Edited by NodUnit

Thank you for you kind comments. I do plan on making the most seen variants from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s, I just haven't made the parts yet.

I agree, the tires do look flat. With the tires I made a highpoly, projected it to a low poly, both normal and AO. After doing subtle detail like the wording on the tire and colored the parts I took it into mudbox and painted wear and dirt. I would improve them if I had the time, but I need to focus on other stuff right now. If you are willing to make tires and wheels, I do have other projects that could benifit from your enthusiasm.

I'd like to add more shadow detail but I'm fighting the polygon limit already. Just this is about 23k already without the tarp covers. And I'm not sure what the polygon limit is for the shadow LOD so I'm taking it step by step but I will try to add those items you listed.

If there are things you want to achieve but the polygon limit is being troublesome, you could always look into proxies. They have their own shadow LOD as well, if you plan on using the same interior what you could do is proxy the inside of the humvee so that it's polygons aren't counted in the exterior LOD. If you do decide to go this route, when it comes to shadows you cannot use the inside out trick for overall cover and less poly's, if you do that then the result ingame will be turned inside out along with it, generating gaps in the shadows ends.

Shadow LOD seems to be flexible, most would say that you should keep it as low as possible but I think hardware has moved past the constraints, (thats not to say you want to go crazy with geometry, simple shapes will do) Last I tested it I was able to get into 3K and I'm not convinced it can't go higher..but I doubt you'll need to go that far.

As for the tires and perhaps rims, sure, I just need your low poly tire for whatever vehicle so that I can bake it out to your UV specs.

My HMMWVs have black out lights, just like the real thing, but I can't find the right .rvmat for the black out lights. Black out lights are little tiny faint lights under the turn signals. They're difficult to see at night, especially from a distance, but through NVGs they are very bright and noticeable. Any idea which .rvmat will do that?

Couple of questions.

Any plans of making this ACE Compatable?

Do you have Older 5 ton's trucks planned? (Not the MTVR, the old things that are in ACE)

Are you going to have custom weapons or use existing weapons?

ACRE Support for the backpacks?

I realy think these units will have alot of capabilitys in terms of mission making, I can already see missions on those old Operation flashpoint maps remade for ArmA 2.

Couple of questions.

Do you have Older 5 ton's trucks planned? (Not the MTVR, the old things that are in ACE)

Are you going to have custom weapons or use existing weapons?

ACRE Support for the backpacks?

I realy think these units will have alot of capabilitys in terms of mission making, I can already see missions on those old Operation flashpoint maps remade for ArmA 2.

1)Proper detailed 5 ton trucks would indeed be superb.(also time consuming I imagine)

2)An ACE question, really? I think soon asking for ACE compatibility will be considered as spam(same as asking for release date).

I think if author is considering such a feature, he would have already mentioned it.

So far i believe its not a concern of the maker as he doesn't use ACE, but i've been looking into what needs to be done, so far with the vehicles it's compatible to what i've checked as it inherits the base HMMWV config (which has the changes when you run ACE)

I would love to make 5 tons and 2 1/2 tons but I need to get a job and make money. As soon as I get a job most of this will get kicked to the sideline and I'll release what I have so far. So for now the answer will be no sadely.

ACE isn't a priority nor do I desire to implement some functions like the hillybilly tow rope. HMMWVs have what's called a tow bar and tow chain which I do plan on making. Why? Because that's what they use in real life. :D Later on down the road near release I'll try to make it ACE compatible as realistically possible.

Just another little update. I've started to make Marines and "Marine" HMMWVs with snorkel kits. You can always tell the difference between Army/Air Force HMMWVs and Marine/Navy HMMWVs by the snorkel kits, especially in the 90s. There's some exceptions nowdays however since the Marines have a few HMMWVs with out snorkel kits. I've also weathered the interior...probably a little bit too much. And obviously I've add the 2dr cargo tarp configurations and fixed little errors.

Does anyone know how to change the water fording deapth of vehicles? HMMWVs with snorkel kits are suppose to be able to ford water all the way up to the air intake. And how do you use the hiddentexture camo feature?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/soldier%20preview%2014.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/soldier%20preview%2015.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/soldier%20preview%2010.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/soldier%20preview%2011.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/soldier%20preview%2012.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28808032/pictures/soldier%20preview%2013.jpg

They're looking great mate. Don't think you went too far on the interior either.

Very impressed with amount of detail and authenticity on those vehicles and uniforms!

Looks fantastic mate, also have to agree with sabre, the interior looks great. really cant wait to see the finished product :)

Just like the two before the one before me, i think they are right you didn't go too far on that at all :) great looking work!!

Keep it up Delta Hawk ;)

Regards astast

Does anyone know how to change the water fording deapth of vehicles? HMMWVs with snorkel kits are suppose to be able to ford water all the way up to the air intake. And how do you use the hiddentexture camo feature?

You mean HiddenSelection (Multiple textures for the object)?

Outstanding Delta Hawk! Shame though, I would love to see your skills also applied to a "Modern U.S. Military" Mod.

Dave,

Outstanding Delta Hawk! Shame though, I would love to see your skills also applied to a "Modern U.S. Military" Mod.

Dave,

There's already plenty of modern (post '03) units and vehicles out there, the one thing missing really is cold war/post cold war era units and vehicles.

Yes but not a whole mod with as nicely done texturing and modeling as has been done on this mod! And yes there all the lovely MRAPs and other hmmwv packs and so forth but none of the texturing matches up like same shade of tan on desert vehicles and ext... plus the other mods very in quality which looks weird having a bunch of vehicle togather in a mission with the addons used togather looking unnatural. No offence. To any one elses addons hell even my U.S. Military Tractor-Trailer Addon is not even close to being anything high quality lol. So again no offence and this is stricktly in in only my opion, and also i have sever O.C.D. so its probably just me but just saying though.

Dave,