Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

80s, 90s, early 2000 US Military

As the others have said, very nice work.

If possible I would recommend taking Falcon up on his offer if it's not something you have considered previously.

Also, at the risk of being that guy the rucksack items, are these likely to be made compatible with ACE or to have ACE specific versions at all?

Again, excellent models, eagerly awaiting their release!

Delta Hawk is back, ladies and gentlemen! I just "creamed my khakis". Oh wells, I needed a showers anyway. :eek:

[

I heard my name..

What do you guys mean by cat eyes?

I heard my name..

What do you guys mean by cat eyes?

Cat eyes are the band with the glow in the dark squares that goes around the helmet. They are used to keep track of friendly units under low light conditions. Here's a screen shot that shows why the're so important.

zG41v.jpg

Cat eyes are the reflective tape on the backs of soldiers' helmets.

You might try making them with a separate RVMAT and testing them with various values. High specularity (perhaps > 100), low specular power would be where I start. After that I would fool around with small amounts of emissive.

AFAIK they are not glow in the dark but highly reflective.

You might try making them with a separate RVMAT and testing them with various values. High specularity (perhaps > 100), low specular power would be where I start. After that I would fool around with small amounts of emissive.

There are two types, there are some that are just highly reflective, there are others (the good ones) that use photoluminescence to glow in addition to being highly reflective. The glowing ones can be charged up under a flashlight or from sunlight and glow for a few hours.

I have all the RVMATs that you need to make them.

Edited by Falcon_565

Hi, the Cat Eyes are indeed highly reflective, but they don't glow by themselves; and can be seen (depending on the enviromental light) up to 40 or 50m ahead with the naked eye, much more with Light Amplification Systems.

This proyect look great, good luck with it. Let's C ya

Hi, the Cat Eyes are indeed highly reflective, but they don't glow by themselves; and can be seen (depending on the enviromental light) up to 40 or 50m ahead with the naked eye, much more with Light Amplification Systems.

This proyect look great, good luck with it. Let's C ya

Most of the ones I've encountered are photoluminescencent in addition to being highly reflective, so they do indeed glow.

Wow thats realy nice, there are triggering memories. as the Americans were still in Frankfurt 1980.

Greez Hotze

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. BIS forums and wiki does not like my internet connection and I'm barely able to get on.

To answer a few questions.

I've spent near 6 months fine tweaking all three BDUs (woodland, DCU and chocolate chip) both summer ripstop weight and winter weight. The image quality is bad for the photos but there is a little dirt on them. They're not too dirty because the fact is BDUs are clean or semi clean 98% of the time. 1st Sgts and Gunnys don't like dirty BDUs.

In order to keep this addon as accurate as possible I will have to get someone to make a weapons addon for these units based on BIS's config classes and sounds. Such weapons are the M60s, M249E1 and the Colt M727/610. That would be great if ACE wants to make them.

Some cateyes are glow in the dark and others are reflective. Mine were reflective but I'm pretty sure 80s and 90s were glow in the dark so they will be glow in the dark. So yes I will make them work.

As of right now I don't plan on combining this addon with other addons as far as units are concern. This may change later. I don't know much about ACE. If ACE wants to implement ACE into this addon later they are more than welcome.

I'm a former Marine, not Army. I don't know Army uniform regs and patches very well. The addon will be release with a PSD of the texture file for patches, ranks, nametapes .etc where anybody can save individual "nametape" textures with patchs and ranks and use them in thier missions. I would like to implement some system for patchs, ranks and nametapes instead of the setobjecttexture funtion though.

I don't know anything about Soviet troops. If I was to make OPFOR it would be FARC rebels. Thier uniforms and gear would double for 70s us military also. I also really want to do something like Clear and Present Danger :D

I still have to make the radio pack, M5 medical bag, M7 and M4 bandoleer and LODs and then it should be ready for first release or atleast an beta for beta testing.

I say that the BDUs look fine without the dirt, but desaturate them because they all look like they are fresh from stores, not been worn in through training and countless washes to get out the mud of basic.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. BIS forums and wiki does not like my internet connection and I'm barely able to get on.

To answer a few questions.

I've spent near 6 months fine tweaking all three BDUs (woodland, DCU and chocolate chip) both summer ripstop weight and winter weight. The image quality is bad for the photos but there is a little dirt on them. They're not too dirty because the fact is BDUs are clean or semi clean 98% of the time. 1st Sgts and Gunnys don't like dirty BDUs.

In order to keep this addon as accurate as possible I will have to get someone to make a weapons addon for these units based on BIS's config classes and sounds. Such weapons are the M60s, M249E1 and the Colt M727/610. That would be great if ACE wants to make them.

Some cateyes are glow in the dark and others are reflective. Mine were reflective but I'm pretty sure 80s and 90s were glow in the dark so they will be glow in the dark. So yes I will make them work.

As of right now I don't plan on combining this addon with other addons as far as units are concern. This may change later. I don't know much about ACE. If ACE wants to implement ACE into this addon later they are more than welcome.

I'm a former Marine, not Army. I don't know Army uniform regs and patches very well. The addon will be release with a PSD of the texture file for patches, ranks, nametapes .etc where anybody can save individual "nametape" textures with patchs and ranks and use them in thier missions. I would like to implement some system for patchs, ranks and nametapes instead of the setobjecttexture funtion though.

I don't know anything about Soviet troops. If I was to make OPFOR it would be FARC rebels. Thier uniforms and gear would double for 70s us military also. I also really want to do something like Clear and Present Danger :D

I still have to make the radio pack, M5 medical bag, M7 and M4 bandoleer and LODs and then it should be ready for first release or atleast an beta for beta testing.

Awesome, if you want me to help you with the cateyes and ACE configs I can defiantly do that. Cateyes are very easy and would take about an hour to implement on all your models. The main thing to do for ACE is to make the rucksacks ACE rucksack items which is not that hard. ACE already has ALICE models but they are nowhere near as good as these and I'm sure they would be trilled to adopt yours. I would suggest releasing an ACE version of your addon since many communities that play with ACE will want these units.

Also I would suggest adding at least a little more weathering as these units are still a bit too factory fresh.

I say that the BDUs look fine without the dirt, but desaturate them because they all look like they are fresh from stores, not been worn in through training and countless washes to get out the mud of basic.

Agreed. A simple desaturate and brighten would do the trick.

Holy CRAP!!!! Amazing work, One thing Constructive input though I don't know if it's just the pic but that last image US Army Doesn't wear Qual tabs " Ranger, Special Forces " on the right shoulder, only tab on right shoulder is the " Airborne " tab for airborne unit combat patch's. Otherwise Amazing work, Looks great!

Holy CRAP!!!! Amazing work, One thing Constructive input though I don't know if it's just the pic but that last image US Army Doesn't wear Qual tabs " Ranger, Special Forces " on the right shoulder, only tab on right shoulder is the " Airborne " tab for airborne unit combat patch's. Otherwise Amazing work, Looks great!

The mountain tab is also a "unit" tab, just like airborne can be and is worn above the unit patch on either shoulder. The only unit's this apply to are the 10th mountain and the 86th IBCT (Mountain) of the VT Army NG though.

The mountain tab is also a "unit" tab, just like airborne can be and is worn above the unit patch on either shoulder. The only unit's this apply to are the 10th mountain and the 86th IBCT (Mountain) of the VT Army NG though.
You're correct I Meant to put such as " Airborne " lol I should've just said Unit Specific Tabs such as Airborne/Mountain lol Sorry bout that 10th mountain lol I Seriously Completely forgot about the 10th mountain Edited by Swamp_Thing

Maybe the same version of the desert? For example, 6 and 3 color camouflage.Good work ;)

Damn am I excited for these!

The look of them brings back memories when the GIs were still in Fulda in the late 80s... Man, those were the days! Very delighted to read that there will be 3/6 color desert camo too! Good luck and energy for this project Mr. Delta Hawk!

Maybe the same version of the desert? For example, 6 and 3 color camouflage.

He probably wouldn't even have to change the models at all for DBDU units. Just different a camo scheme, and the same shiny black boots, which were used with DBDUs back in the early 1990s.

On the other hand, DCU with PASGT vest would be fine for mid-to-late 1990s; in the 1997 movie "Independence Day", some of the soldiers guarding Area 51 wore the DCU with PASGT vest/helmet, and in "Black Hawk Down", the soldiers wore DBDU-camo PASGT helmets, DCUs and Woodland PASGST vests. Although it would look a wee bit odd now, as we're all so used to seeing these blokes wearing DCUs with IBAs.

I am so eagerly awaiting the relase of this mod. Let's take it back to the old school! :)

He probably wouldn't even have to change the models at all for DBDU units. Just different a camo scheme, and the same shiny black boots, which were used with DBDUs back in the early 1990s.

On the other hand, DCU with PASGT vest would be fine for mid-to-late 1990s; in the 1997 movie "Independence Day", some of the soldiers guarding Area 51 wore the DCU with PASGT vest/helmet, although it would look a wee bit odd now, as we're all used to seeing DCUs with IBAs.

He already stated he's doing both 3 color DCU versions and 6 color chocolate chip camies as well earlier in the thread.

These units are teh sex! more pics if you have em please.

Good looking stuff Delta. Looking forward to the release.

I have made 3 and 6 desert BDUs. I just don't feel comfortable right now showing them.

When it comes to the saturation of my BDUs, my goal isn't the cinematic COD look but rather a non color bias depiction of real BDUs worn by real US Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Seamen. I strive for accuracy and after 6 months of research and adjusting them I'm at that point where they will not change much. Also, be aware those pictures show both the Enhanced Temperate Weather BDU and the Enhanced Hot Weather BDU, both of which fades differently.