Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

80s, 90s, early 2000 US Military

I hope you guys like this cause it was a pain to make because it was kind of boring to make yet it requires a lot of effort and skill to make it presentable. This is my PRC-77 mounted on a ST-138, which apparently was the main man pack radio of the 80s and most of the 90s. It'll be configured like a back pack with some room to pack stuff like smoke grenades. The difference between this rig and the ALICE pack packed radio will be the room you have to pack stuff. Ideally, it would be scripted to where the ALICE packed radios will tire you out faster.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28808032/pictures/PRC-77_Preview_2.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28808032/pictures/PRC-77_Preview_1.jpg

Next I'll do a PASGT desert flak cover, then some LODs, weighing and hopefully a public beta release of my units.

I hope you guys like this cause it was a pain to make because it was kind of boring to make yet it requires a lot of effort and skill to make it presentable. This is my PRC-77 mounted on a ST-138, which apparently was the main man pack radio of the 80s and most of the 90s. It'll be configured like a back pack with some room to pack stuff like smoke grenades. The difference between this rig and the ALICE pack packed radio will be the room you have to pack stuff. Ideally, it would be scripted to where the ALICE packed radios will tire you out faster.

Next I'll do a PASGT desert flak cover, then some LODs, weighing and hopefully a public beta release of my units.

Really, they still used 77's in the 90's? well that sucked.

I recall having to carry a 77 and later a RAVEN around when i was with what is essentially JROTC, all i can remember is how much of a pain in the ass it was when the batteries died and having to climb 30 degree hills with the damn thing...

Anyway, looks very nice.

Good luck with the weighting *Evil laugh*

You made that from scratch? Looks amazing! :eek:

Thank you Laqueesha. Yes, I did make it from scratch. Just about everything is made from scratch.

All my research points towards the PRC-77 as the radio for the 80s and early 90s, being replaced by the SINGARS PRC-117, which I'll make when I make the early 2000s guys later.

That radio and pack looks great!

Thanks for your hard work

Thank you sv5000. I hope when I finally release them you guys will enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them.

Just an update I have finally began to export/import all the pieces into oxygen. I'm redoing the whole character model so I can weigh everything including the LODs at once and evenly. In all, with the LODs there's probably about 300 individual pieces, so this will take a couple days. Once that's done, I'll weigh them quickly, do a little more work with the models, test them out and hopefully we'll have a beta release :)

Hell yeah! Good news indeed! Excited to dig in when release time comes.

Been following this thread for a while now. Some real quality work. Looking forward to the release.

Well the end is in sight. All the weighing is basically done. I got to finish up some texture work, straighten up some config stuff and my units should be ready soon for a public beta.

What do ya'll want as the default arm patch for the Army units?

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:44 ----------

I've been very busy guys. I'm sort of switching jobs right now and I've been busy with a bunch of other stuff too. Thanks for your patience guys. The end is in sight.

OH BOY OH BOY....sounds like christmas comes early this year...

as to what arm patch...hmmm 2nd ID allways looks nice, but maybe keep it neutral? If I may ask what units will be included? Army / Marines / SF?

Regular Army (80s&90s), including some non combat MOSs, regular Marine Corps (802&90s) including some non combat MOSs, a couple Navy and Air Force. After a successful beta, I'll re-release with Army Rangers included.

There's no special forces since they have very different gear and uniforms. You might get away with making green berets, marine force recon and maybe 80s seals, but they would be missing specific gear.

I prefer a default unit patch since patches on the shoulder is a dead give away they're army. If not, they look like marines.

1 for 2nd ID

1 for 101st AB

This will be the default patch gents, the patch you will see the most on the Army guys.

Would ask that the default be blank, and patches be defined by hidden selections.

If someone wanted to make use them for any specific group or the like it could always be edited in the mission to represent whichever group you would want at that point.

Build a good size of selections for units built in could not hurt, but defining it as a hidden selection with a default blank area would benifit all groups and users whom may want to use this model.

This would also allow them to create their own hidden selection files to include their own patches for whatever unit/group they want. Be it Group/Clan/Community or whatnot.

If we could do this with nameplate space as well... that would just be something special.

Edit, to confirm there are blank options included?

Edited by Impulse9
Secondary Question

Way ahead of you Impulse. The patches and nametapes are separate hidden selections. The patches are for the shoulder and the nametapes include the branch, name, rank, breast patch and any badges to go above the branch nametape. I am including a wide selection of patches and ranks, both Marine and Army. I don't know much about Air Force or Navy uniform regulations though. By default, the name on the name tape is "name."

There needs to be a default patch on the Army units. It can be changed, but there needs to be a default. So 2 101st AB, 1 for 2nd ID

Way ahead of you Impulse. The patches and nametapes are separate hidden selections. The patches are for the shoulder and the nametapes include the branch, name, rank, breast patch and any badges to go above the branch nametape. I am including a wide selection of patches and ranks, both Marine and Army. I don't know much about Air Force or Navy uniform regulations though. By default, the name on the name tape is "name."

There needs to be a default patch on the Army units. It can be changed, but there needs to be a default. So 2 101st AB, 1 for 2nd ID

If you'd like I can make a script that sets the rank appropriately based on the ingame unit's rank. Could also set up something that allows for the patches to be random (but same for each squad etc)

Hey, I found a picture of an army general from 1984. His uniform camo is M81, but the cut looks Vietnam-ish. It's the first time I've ever seen a uniform like this. I've seen it done with ERDL, but never M81.

321px-GEN_Sennewald%2C_Robert_William.jpg

Edited by Laqueesha

Here are some links to pictures of Gulf War re-enactors. A lot of good gear to be had.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/102239-desert-storm-20th-anniversary-year/

http://www.scifihero.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7627

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/72402-desert-storm/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55461-desert-storm-1990/

Here's a U.S. Army officer from January 2000. I never knew nametapes were on BDU caps, I know they're on ACU caps, but not BDU. Interesting...

479px-Defense.gov_News_Photo_000119-A-4385T-005.jpg

Screamin eagles would be my vote.

Same here, go 101 ABN!

Slant pocket jackets in M81 Woodland pattern are rare, but not unknown: Experimental slant pocket BDU.

Cool stuff, thanks! I guess it make sense, since the M81 camouflage pattern (1981) came out before the BDU uniform itself (1984). :)

Edited by Laqueesha

3 for 101st, looking hard to beat so far.

I think my desert storm guys are pretty spot on. What I really hate about 3d graphics is it's almost impossible to get that draping, hanging gear look. Everything 3d looks so ridged.

I did see a few nametapes on caps, but what interests me is the cat eyes on the cap too. I guess it makes since though since he's Ranger.

Been following this thread for a while and I must say these units look very nice. Detail is spot on. Cat eyes on the back of patrol caps is standard for most special operation units such (Special Forces, Rangers, and some Airborn Units). They use them in a special configuration to help identify what unit they belong to. It was also common to see the Cat eyes sewed onto the rucksack on the top pouch in the same configuration. They also had nametaps sewed onto their PC's and just above the left butt pocket on their trousers (Popular with Marines). One other thing I noticed during my time was that Rangers and SF somtimes had the lower pockets on their BDU's removed and re-sewed onto the blouse sleaves, my guess is thats were the idea came from for the shoulder pockets on the ACU uniform and Marine uniform.

82nd Airborne would have been my choice for the default Patch:).