Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

80s, 90s, early 2000 US Military

Thank you for ya'll comments. The easiest thing about making my mod is just about every unit in the 80s and 90s used the same gear, so instead of making every modern uniform, vest, helmet and other gucci gear of modern military, I can focus my attention on making this universal gear from the 80s and 90s high quality. I would only make modern military if I was paid.

I would like to aquire if not change some 80s and 90s vehicles to have all the same, correct camo paint and patterns because different colors and patterns annoy me too. The references for the correct colors and patterns are on online for God sakes.

I figured out the hiddenselectiontexture feature. Now I have some 150 units using only two .p3d files :D !!

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Just to make sure it's ok if my config file is 5000 lines? This includes 90s woodland regular soldiers, 90s desert regular soldiers, 80s woodland regular soldiers and 80s desert regular soldiers.

I hate to ask but I have to. Any chance we'll be seeing these models soon? Been waiting for someone to make models of this quality, especially 1990/1980 Units.

there shouldn't be a limit on config size delta, as long as there's no errors then I'd assume you would be fine.

I hate to ask but I have to. Any chance we'll be seeing these models soon? Been waiting for someone to make models of this quality, especially 1990/1980 Units.

They're seen on page 1 and 17, there was desert ones going around too somewhere.

[/color]Just to make sure it's ok if my config file is 5000 lines? This includes 90s woodland regular soldiers, 90s desert regular soldiers, 80s woodland regular soldiers and 80s desert regular soldiers.

I don't think there's a limit on the config, i assume most of that is having 4 medics, 4 teamleaders and such? :P

Delta Hawk, are you also making landing crafts? Or is it another addon? :)

Regards astast

Looking great! I can't wait. Quick question, are the dust goggles a hidden selection (i.e. can you remove them)?

My God! Those USMC eight-point covers, rolled-up sleeves, and that ALICE radio pack? I think I just fainted. This is amazing, homie. Keep up the great work, my man! :D

Just an observation, but I think that the U.S. Marines wore O.D.-green t-shirts under their BDU/DCU blouses, not brown. See this photo of a USMC Brigadier General from July 2001 for reference. He appears to be wearing a O.D.-green t-shirt (it appears to be a very light-colored one, lighter than the ones worn with the newer MCCUU; you can see these light-colored shirts up-close in HBO's Generation Kill) under his BDU blouse.

300px-Brigadier_General_Richard_Huck.jpg

Anyway, here's a photo of some U.S. Army soldiers from May 2001 (one of whom is posthumous MOH recipient Jared C. Monti), which may be of some interest to you. Wikimedia Commons has a huge number of great high-resolution reference-quality U.S. military photographs from the old days. Mad props to all those combat correspondents, where would be without them? Almost like a time machine, these old photos are. Best of luck! ;)

320px-Flickr_-_The_U.S._Army_-_The_Early_Years%2C_Sergeant_1st_Class_Jared_C._Monti%2C_2009_Medal_of_Honor_recipient_%2816%29.jpg

P.S. Did you make those eight-point covers from scratch? If so, they look amazing. :)

Edited by Laqueesha

as i stated in one of the first messages i cant wait to get my hands on these guys thank god i havent got a PC to play ARMA2 atm so its only good they are not released :P

keep up the real good work realy love how these guys look

Laqueesha, you're right. Marines do wear a green undershirt as well as a light brown "web" or pants belt with a brass clasp. Somewhere in the early 2000s with the Marine's adapting the MCMAP program their belts switch to different colored "riggers" belts to denote martial arts level unless they were unable to qualify. All units use the same BDU texture file but I'm thinking now of making seperate Marine, Army and Airforce BDU textures since the Air Force wears black undershirt if I'm not mistaken. The Navy's BDUs is similar to the Army as far as the black pant belt and brown undershirt goes while wearing a eight point with rank on it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did make mil spec correct eight point covers for the Marines and Navy. :D Thank you.

Falcon_565, the uniforms can be changes with hidden selection. You can add/remove different covers, such as eight point garrison, army/airforce garrison and boonie. You can also add/remove helmets with the SWD goggles being a seperate item...so yes. You can also add gloves and a gas mask carrier. All this is with hidden selections. I'm not a scripter so I don't know how to make a ingame feature to change between the covers.

I have no plans on making sea or air vehicles. My focus is on US units and wheeled vehicles.

I'd like to say a public beta will be available in two to three months, but if I have to make weapons then it'll be about 6 months.

U.S. Navy, during the 2000s at least, wore BDUs with sewn-on ranks, including on the eight-point covers, with brown t-shirts underneath. Execption was for U.S. Navy personnel attached to USMC units, who wore the USMC-version of the BDU.

Here's a photo of the U.S. Navy's version of the BDU, from July 2002, from January 2006, and from November 2008. I've personally seen U.S. Navy sailors wear the thin-fabric BDU in addition to the thicker-fabric BDU, for a lack of a better term, so it can get confusing at times.

320px-US_Navy_020726-N-5308H-001_Steelworker_1st_Class_Edward_Perry%2C_winner_of_this_year%5Ersquo%2Cs_%5Eldquo%2CMarvin_Shields_Award.jpg

July 26, 2002

Edited by Laqueesha

since the Air Force wears black undershirt if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently so.

Falcon_565, the uniforms can be changes with hidden selection. You can add/remove different covers, such as eight point garrison, army/airforce garrison and boonie. You can also add/remove helmets with the SWD goggles being a seperate item...so yes. You can also add gloves and a gas mask carrier. All this is with hidden selections. I'm not a scripter so I don't know how to make a ingame feature to change between the covers.

From memory Icewindo was working on a gore mod that allowed removal of items if you had access to the MLOD's, might be worth asking him.

Release the models unbinned in MLOD format???

No, I think you just need to know what the named selections are. By the way any chance of getting an earlier release of just the units? Everything is looking fantastic and I think there's plenty of people who would love to get their hands of the units regardless of the status of the vehicles, weapons and equipment.

I've personally seen U.S. Navy sailors wear the thin-fabric BDU in addition to the thicker-fabric BDU, for a lack of a better term, so it can get confusing at times.

In the Air Force, we called those "Summer Weight" and "Winter Weight" BDU's respectively. And, I think I saw this earlier, but we wore black t-shirts underneath our BDU's in the AF as well.

Summer weight has these lines of thread that you can see horizontally across the uniform IIRC. And the Winter weight did not. That was a visual way of telling the difference. If you were wearing them, you'd definitely be able to tell the difference. I think the Navy and USMC had the same concept.

And as for the comment by Scarecrow, I think he meant that if you had access to the mlods so that you can interchange body parts or something to that effect....I don't believe he was saying "give" them YOUR mlods.

Hope that makes sense. :)

If the models are in MLOD format in the pbo, someone can unpbo the addon and steal the models by exporting them.

If I'm reading this correctly, this MLOD discussion stemmed from some confusion about how to use hidden selections.

For the end user to use them, all they need to know is the names of the selections.

Summer weight has these lines of thread that you can see horizontally across the uniform IIRC. And the Winter weight did not. That was a visual way of telling the difference. If you were wearing them, you'd definitely be able to tell the difference. I think the Navy and USMC had the same concept.

Yeah, that's the one. The Winter Weights tended to be faded in color compared to the Summer Weight ones, which were very vibrant and colorful.

In the Air Force, we called those "Summer Weight" and "Winter Weight" BDU's respectively. And, I think I saw this earlier, but we wore black t-shirts underneath our BDU's in the AF as well.

Just making sure, but did every airman wear the black t-shirt or only some of them?

That Major appears to be wearing pin-on oak leaf collar devices. I've seen Marines do that with their old BDUs, but this is the first I've seen an airman do it. Interesting...

Edited by Laqueesha

Just making sure, but did every airman wear the black t-shirt or only some of them?

I remember we all did. The t-shirt or a black turtle-neck shirt.

@Delta Hawk- I'm thinking of some good ole "Heartbreak Ridge" type mission, lol. Some missions where you're playing as Clint Eastwood is never a bad thing :)

I remember we all did. The t-shirt or a black turtle-neck shirt.

Alright, thanks! ;)

I'm thinking of some good ole "Heartbreak Ridge" type mission, lol. Some missions where you're playing as Clint Eastwood is never a bad thing

That would be awesome. :D

If the models are in MLOD format in the pbo, someone can unpbo the addon and steal the models by exporting them.

If you use BinPBO you can't, it will binarize/encrpt the models to ODOL (?) so no one else can edit them, which i would recommend you do as people tend to steal content without asking...

I'm not saying to release them, i'm saying YOU have to have MLOD access (Which you obviously do as you made them :P) as said, you just need to post the names for the selections of each item (Not sure about this, hence, Icewindo), as when they're Binariased you can't see the selections or anything at all to do with the MLODs really.