Sign in to follow this  
mikeap

Destroying Ports?

Quick question...

My staff reccomends destroying ports as a way of cutting off supply to islands...

So part of my attacking tactic is to do this...however, I notice that the enemy is still able to pump out Manta's and Walruses with ease, and fairly quickly.

Does destroying an enemy port actually do anything?

Also - Same deal with the radar...I haven't noticed any significant change in the AI. They can still target me with ease.

Thank you!

Destroying ports will stop the island from contributing to the supply chain.

So as long the port is destroyed, e.g. a mining island will not give resources. You can do this if you don't want to conquer an island.

Destroying a radar installation will lower the telemetry range of the enemy's ai units. This means they will still attack you, but they cannot chase you very far off. Patrols also won't be ably to travel as far as before.

When you destroy the port it slows you down only when you take the island because it took some time to rebuild it and that means you don't get the resources, factory capabilities or defensive range for your other islands who a near to it till the port is up again.

Does a broken supply chain mean all the other islands on the chain will also be broken?

Stockpile - Island1 - Island2 - Island3 - Island4

If I destroy the dock on Island3, will Island 4 still be connected?

So I can just cut the map in half to choke the enemy?

That's the idea. This makes islands which are bottle necks in the supply chain very very important and is a big part of the strategy. Ideally the AI will defend these islands very very strongly just like you should. Though I'm not sure whether it does or not.

Indeed. So blowing up the dock is definitely not pointless- imagine passing by a "deadly" island chokepoint, that cuts the enemy territorry in half. To capture the island you'll be losing a lot of time. blowing up the dock cuts his construction in half and took you about ten seconds while passing by.

It is, however, a bad idea to do so when you'll be capturing the island anyway.

Here's a question, Would killing the port stop defense islands from strengthening islands connected to them?

I don't check that but it must be, the problem is that the AI probably cheat and noting happens to the other islands for the defense.