Sign in to follow this  
Thygrrr

Mod Ideas Scratch Thread

Small public scratchpad for mod ideas. Some of these might even make it into a post launch, but I expect most to be up to us modders.

I prefer mods that try to keep the spirit of the game and improve and extend the original game. But feel free to post any cool ideas.

• more zoom levels in the maps, and strategic mode comes at a later zoom level (at least double the amount of steps, and no big jump when switching to strategic view from island view)
  • manual time warp
  • improve build queue: queue items in order, in batches (e.g. 3 walruses, 1 laser, 1 walrus). left click increments batch, right click decrements.
  • fewer accidents: walruses don't get crushed by carrier, no move commands on strategic map for normal vehicles
  • tech tree / research (i.e. some kind of tech tree, instead of starting strategy mode with all techs available)
  • weather conditions affecting telemetry range
  • cruise missile turrets (that threaten the carrier at long range)
  • artillery turrets (that threaten the carrier at long range)
  • make control tower damage actually affect telemetry
  • make islands attack the carrier more vehemently
  • make island airforce attack the player's units more vehemently (e.g. if a flock of mantas is idling, send it to whichever unit has recently damaged any structure on the island
  • enhanced strategic game scenario (more/fewer islands, etc.)
  • better gun management on carrier (it feels weird and counterintuitive, having four separate turrets with the same icons, and switching them seems borked)
  • better control scheme / key mappings
  • AI action for Manta hook
  • pathfinding and ai tweaks
  • more generic island missions
  • improved enemy carrier behavior, maybe a 3 carrier strategic game
  • improved carrier "physics", the thing moves weirdly
  • weapon & production cost balancing, changing some items (the two fuel types seem odd, maybe add ammo types)
  • rebalance carrier damage (I almost never have any problems with the carrier being damaged unless I run into the enemy carrier)

Edited by Thygrrr
duplicate thread deleted

Genious :bounce3:

I hope BI will set up a mod subforum soon. I had some ideas of my own but you literally covered them all.

Edit: A way (toggle button) to set the game speed to x2 would be nice for waiting for a walrus to finish docking/refueling

Man.. if someone could fix the AI pathfinding that would be awesome.. also if they could change the way the enemy carrier behaves would be awesome too.. those two are the biggest things that need changing. I don't want to derail the thread.. but show my support for those two ideas.

How about being able to control more than 8 units at a time?

Let manats use hack pods and buildings.

Space ship mod?

Carrier Command MP Fleet combat modification scratch

*Mutiplayer LAN functionality to allow for 1 v 1 (More desired) carrier battles and island domination games.

-Remove time acceleration (TimeWarp) function

-10, 30 and 60 island modes

*Expanded functionality to allow remote control of units direct from tactical overview.

-Click to command for naval vessels (no direct control)

-support vessels extend carrier telemetry allowing for extreme range flights

-Fuel tank module for mantas to allow longer flight ranges

*Dry-dock facilities allowing construction of naval vessels

-Fuel tanker, Destroyer

-Modular mesh designs with destructible sections

-Various types of destroyer (Offensive, Defensive, Support)

*Replace cargo barque with cargo barge. (with ability for other players to destroy or hijack it)

-Cargo barge will carry more cargo, but will have limited speed

-High speed airdrop facility with extreme weight limit

-Weights need revised

*Ballistic missile targeting and tracking system, visible on command overview.

-Ballistic missile defensive systems (Ground and Naval based)

-Smaller scale version for artillery based units

Any other ideas?

I see many many good suggestions in this thread already! :D

Just brainstorming in no particular order (have no idea on difficulty or possibility to implement):

* Increased control over Strategy game starting conditions (sliders):

-Enemy carrier strength (todays strength setting affects both islands and carrier as it seems)

-Enemy island strength

-Enemy carrier 'behavior'/'personality' (depending on what is possible - some way of controlling it)

-Total number of islands/number of enemy controlled islands/number of player islands/number of neutral islands slider

* Import island possibility once an island editor is available (an easy way to manage "installed islands" for users - could be a stand-alone little tool or even better in-game)

* Ability to lock on to enemy carrier parts, engines/armor/docks/etc. Small damage indicators on-screen for the various parts.

* Making enemy walruses on islands attack player carrier from long range with missiles.

* On the more generic island mission topic:

- Make islands where scramblers and firewalls are protected by forcefields - so that generators first have to taken out before scramblers/firewalls can be taken out.

- Islands where heavy AAA guns are protected by forcefields and generators need to be taken down first (this already exist in campaign on one island but not in strategy)

* Turrets that can be airdropped from Mantas and/or placed by walruses

* Torpedo launching "turrets" on island shores (huge threat for carriers/walruses - need to be taken out with mantas)

* Minefields in the water

* Fast enemy walrus/manta suicide bombers that just race towards the carrier (carrier drones protects against them and they can be shot down too)

..."I'll be back" :)

nemy carrier parts, engines/armor/docks/etc. Small damage indicators on-screen for the various parts.

* Making enemy walruses on islands attack player carrier from long range with missiles.

* On the more generic island mission topic:

- Make islands where scramblers and firewalls are protected by forcefields - so that generators first have to taken out before scramblers/firewalls can be taken out.

- Islands where heavy AAA guns are protected by forcefields and generators need to be taken down first (this already exist in campaign on one island but not in strategy)

* Torpedo launching "turrets" on island shores (huge threat for carriers/walruses - need to be taken out with mantas)

Love these! :-)

Make the units and islands look like the orginal - Carrier Command Retro.

Hahaha! That would be epic. It would be hard to capture the feel of the vectors, though. It would be an interesting problem to solve- the dithering that stays a constant size and placement, etc.

LOL no the dithering would be fairly easy to code as a shader. I like the idea!

* Anti-aircraft EMP-turrets. Shorter range, slow moving shots and MUCH lower firing frequency than flak but much bigger area of effect. Explodes like a big blue blob in the sky. Makes no damage but messes up the controls for Mantas for a few seconds (Maybe makes them fly straight forward in random heading at max speed for 2-3 seconds or just wobble around). Does not affect scout drone.

* EMP bomb to drop from Manta. Very large area of effect. Freezes all enemy hostiles, turrets, mantas, walruses. Can be used to get a group of walruses in trouble out of there or as a tactic when going in to hack a command center. Lasts for about 30 seconds. When EMP effect stops enemy fire rate should be x2 for 10 seconds as a penalty (because they are overloaded with energy! :) ).

Besides all the nice ideas for fixing the AI, and make the enemy on the islands respond to you as a threat easilier, I would love some fundamental changes in the Strategic Mode!

- One starting island, and the rest neutral, so you have to build up your islands strategically, deciding which should be refinery, production or defencive island, instead of starting with half the map.. The neutral forces should still put up a figth though :)

- Start with low tech and have the oppertunity to either find tech on islands or allocate resources into research. (Or even more crazy, a research type island! :eek: )

- Some sorts of random events. Like a storm over some island breaking the supply chains or discruption the supply barge from getting to you.

I really like the basics of this game and i think thats these few things can improve it dramatically! I hate that im not able to script or code and just being a cg artist. I would be doing this my self now :)

Besides all the nice ideas for fixing the AI, and make the enemy on the islands respond to you as a threat easilier, I would love some fundamental changes in the Strategic Mode!

- One starting island, and the rest neutral, so you have to build up your islands strategically, deciding which should be refinery, production or defencive island, instead of starting with half the map.. The neutral forces should still put up a figth though :)

- Start with low tech and have the oppertunity to either find tech on islands or allocate resources into research. (Or even more crazy, a research type island! :eek: )

- Some sorts of random events. Like a storm over some island breaking the supply chains or discruption the supply barge from getting to you.

I really like the basics of this game and i think thats these few things can improve it dramatically! I hate that im not able to script or code and just being a cg artist. I would be doing this my self now :)

This would be perfect for a strategy mode.

This would make it far more interesting than just starting with everything available.

I like to have some sense of progression and this would fit nicely into that category.

I would have done it myself had I had any knowledge about this.

Unfortunately I know nothing about coding or programming or anything else like that.

Taken with impunity from Tontow:

Linked weapon systems (mantas only) - Fly the mantas in formation and link the fire control to the manta that you are flying - IE: Fly the mantas as if they are one unit.

(add toggle to) Enable picture in picture when controling carrier weapons or other units - This will make it easyer to spot for my long rage weapons.

Wow, I could imagine the ride of the valkyries playing in the background while my heavily armed manta wing approaches an island ...

How about being able to control more than 8 units at a time?

Let manats use hack pods and buildings.

Space ship mod?

How about refueling mantas at the hangers on islands, and allowing them to land (original CC had this feature).

LOL no the dithering would be fairly easy to code as a shader. I like the idea!

I don't know if you can code shaders for the CC engine.

Even if we can't pull off the dithering, we could at least pull off some kind of orginal hybread with a retro feel.

I don't know if you can code shaders for the CC engine.

You absolutely can.