Sign in to follow this  
swatti

[SPOILERS, maybe] "Island under attack" - "Umm... No it aint..."

Ok, got to the point where the other islands appeared and boom, my island is under attack, "fun! now they come to me!" and no... There is no-one in my island, still blinking red tho. Ok, then it happens on another island, still no enemies.

Let me get this straight: Do i have to just go to my island and sit there to "repel the enemy" that doesnt seem to be there to begin with?

So instead of boring "cap the island" (and hope that there aint stupid FPS-parts in it) -gameplay i now have offically "do nothing" on top for fairly boring gameplay while trying to cope with mostly non-existant enemy/frienly AI.

I played the game hoping it would get better after the enemy carrier is set loose and in hopes of fighting actual battles instead of clearing out islands with one Manta and then spending an hour till my Walruss drives thru few "firewall" buildings and then caps the HQ-whatevah. Also i must keep a close eye oon it or it simply humps trees or does a suicide-jump off a bridge.

Do i get to manage islands somehow at some point? Change their type, add/change pads/garages or upgrade the turrets / AA-guns? Ive spent countless hours solo-sniping off turrets that nearly instagib my AI-mantas, i want to see how the enemy AI does island-assaults.

So, is there any "defensive battles" cause if this is all there is to this game then this isnt a very good game to be honest.

You cant do anything with the islands once they are captured other than change their type by zooming the map out to the overview mode and clicking on the island then the spanner tab. You can move your stockpile island closer to you from there too. As for upgrading turrets or seeing the enemy invasion of your islands, I don't think so. I have also had the thing you describe where you turn up at an attacked island and nothing is there, but a few times I have been warping to an island and forced out of warp because the enemy is in range. He always takes off at higher speed than my carrier or mantas can catch up, a couple of times he has taken off in my direction and I managed to pull alongside and give him some damage with the plasma and quads, but so far he always escapes and we are both on fire.

I could be wrong about this, but I suspect that when you are at an island and one of your other islands is being attacked, I doubt whether there is any actual attack going on, and the game just decides for itself which island is being attacked, and after a certain time, decides whether to make the island red or leave it blue.

Wow, if all that is true, then this game just very boring and not really fun. Was hoping it would become better at this point of the plot but instead it went from boring to tedious... Instead of going from island to island shooting mindless enemies i now have WAIT ridiculous time in an island where NOTHING is happening and do nothing...

What is there to actually play in this game!? 1on1 fights with turrets, waiting for idiot AI to fail at driving and then wait some more looking at map-screen.

You need to remember this is a remake of a classic game. If they added too much extra, it wouldn't really be a remake.

They added a whole freaking FPS with turret sequences and vehicle chases, for christ's sake!

Yes, the game is faithful, but I have to admit some of the resources were not well spent.

Actually, in the beginning i rushed to the defense of my islands, i also discovered no units on the islands, but then after a while i noticed that the enemy carrier is simply a big fat chicken that runs away as soon as you get close. In some cases you can actually get the jump on their carrier if (im speculating here) its out of fuel. It's happened to me once, and i "destroyed" it. So yea, when an island is under attack, the enemy carrier is actually present. However, i think its a bug with the "island under attack" warning. Because it will not stop signaling that it is under attack until the enemy carrier reaches another island, triggering the "island under attack" warning there instead.

Actually, in the beginning i rushed to the defense of my islands, i also discovered no units on the islands, but then after a while i noticed that the enemy carrier is simply a big fat chicken that runs away as soon as you get close. In some cases you can actually get the jump on their carrier if (im speculating here) its out of fuel. It's happened to me once, and i "destroyed" it. So yea, when an island is under attack, the enemy carrier is actually present. However, i think its a bug with the "island under attack" warning. Because it will not stop signaling that it is under attack until the enemy carrier reaches another island, triggering the "island under attack" warning there instead.

Sounds like a simple

IF ;Enemy Carrier; <2 miles FROM ;IslandX; PRINT "ISLAND";X "Under attack" ELSE IF EC >2 miles FROM ;X; PRINT "Attack Repulsed"

line added with the game updating the colours accordingly like in the original or something like that.

Actually when the enemy carrier is attacking an island and you come to that island, then its units should be on the island, if not then it is a bug.

hmm, than i have this bug always, i never see enemy troops on my attacked islands. iam only in the campaign, right now. not played strategie game, i do this, if the campaign are completed.

Actually when the enemy carrier is attacking an island and you come to that island, then its units should be on the island, if not then it is a bug.

Im actually happy to read this. Then it can be fixed.

I was playin till now in hopes of seeing defensive battles. I'l wait till it gets fixed, gonna love seeing AI get torn up by my defences for a change.

They added a whole freaking FPS with turret sequences and vehicle chases, for christ's sake!

Yes, the game is faithful, but I have to admit some of the resources were not well spent.

Oh cmon, can anyone say they actyally enjoyed the FPS-part? No seriously, it should have been 3rd person or a "mini-RTS" instead, the FPS-part is just plain horrible.

Considoring how old the original CC is, not many players of this game were even born when it was out. I like it being faithfull to the original but in this modern industry it needs more, a lot more to be something good and not just a remake or tribute.

This game has HUGE potential, im just hoping it wont be wasted.

I've seen this phantom attack thing too. I chased the attacks going south and seems to happen in the same chain of islands every time I've reloaded. Is it possible that the attacks are prompted by the carrier passing the islands on the way to somewhere further away? As in rather than taking a beeline from a-->d it's passing through a, b, c, to get to d? If that the case then there isn't an attack, it's more like the enemy carrier is sighted while in enroute to somewhere else. I don't suppose there's any sort of debug command or 'cheat' that would allow you to see the enemy carrier movement to confirm that, is there?

In all the times i rushed to my islands aid i only ever 1 time saw the enemy carrier stationary with its units deployed to which i swiftly dispatched it. All other times enemy carrier runs before i arrive. And island constantly reports under attack even after i confirm that the enemy carrier is not there usually the enemy carrier will move in a very predictable way attacking the same 3 islands in a predictable pattern after i scare it off blew it up, any times by forcing the ai into situations where i am between it and its next target also noticed that at one point in my game i let the enemy carrier attack one of my "very hard" islands and i was then able to cap 5 of his and then finish the game without it ever moving or winning my strategy consisted of if my islands strength was strong i would take one of his then chase him off if below strong immediately help island if more than strong laugh and keep conquering worked like a champ at any rate carrier ai needs work to 1 stay and fight at islands deploying units and 2. Be a bit more random 3. Eventually give up 4. Hunt me down at times 5. Stay dead longer at times (example i killed the enemy carrier 3 times in 10 minutes once because it would immediately Respawn and attack the same area again also seemed to get progressively more hp and stronger vs islands the more i popped it) also walrus path finding is what i imagine a 5yr old drives like

The enemy carrier needs some work to make it more of a challenge. Just soon after I started a strategy game (minimum startup and enemy strength about 80%), I got the call that he was attacking one of my islands, so I went to defend. He made a good show of shooting down my 4 mantas, but I was disappointed that I was able to kill him using only the shell cannon I started with. He never even launched mantas or walruses at me. After a while he turned and started to move away but I was still able to kill him. I realised it was going to be pointless continuing without the enemy carrier so I loaded back to a previous save and decided I will not kill him until near the end of the game. Now he just continuously attacks a single island and it never gets taken. If I go there, he takes off but then it's the same thing, island is under attack but never gets taken. This needs some work, I want him taking my islands to make it interesting.

Example below Vattland is not under attack and the carrier is nowhere near it. I'd managed to get the enemy carrier close enough to Granite to technically trigger an alert but it's obviously coded to tell the player once an island is actually under attack target provided the player is not in the near vicinity causing it to chicken out and forgetting to alert the player about a failed/aborted attack which the original CC was able to do. Unless the Enemy Carrier has long range communications devices mounted on it's walrus' and mantas it's either cheating or a bug.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae212/Tassl3hoff27/Notunderattack.jpg (141 kB)

Edited by Tasslehoff

I don't suppose there's any sort of debug command or 'cheat' that would allow you to see the enemy carrier movement to confirm that, is there?

There is actually, but only in the developer version, at present.

Example below Vattland is not under attack and the carrier is nowhere near it. I'd managed to get the enemy carrier close enough to Granite to technically trigger an alert but it's obviously coded to tell the player once an island is actually under attack target provided the player is not in the near vicinity causing it to chicken out and forgetting to alert the player about a failed/aborted attack which the original CC was able to do. Unless the Enemy Carrier has long range communications devices mounted on it's walrus' and mantas it's either cheating or a bug.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae212/Tassl3hoff27/Notunderattack.jpg (141 kB)

same bug here only on different island :/

Been a while now... Havent seen much happen. Anything new regarding this issue?

Havent been playing CC:GM since this topic and getting kinda sad to see game with this much potential just rot away.