Sign in to follow this  
ErcanKazaz

Why there are so few reviews?

Hello,

I would like to purchase the game but I need to read the reviews first (there is no demo so reviews are my only option before buying the game), I looked the internet and I only found few reviews. So I am curious about this. Why there are so few reviews on the Internet? Bohemia Interactive doesn't want their game to be reviewed by the press? I knew game is just released but I think devs are sending review copies to media early. Thank you.

Edited by ErcanKazaz

Sometimes we can get early review copies. Sometimes we get review copies on release date and sometimes we don't get any copy at all.

In the case of CC:GM, we didn't get a review copy. Luckily, I was intending to buy this game anyways so I'll be doing the review out of my own collection.

Unless you speak Dutch, my review won't be doing you any good though...

Sometimes we can get early review copies. Sometimes we get review copies on release date and sometimes we don't get any copy at all.

In the case of CC:GM, we didn't get a review copy. Luckily, I was intending to buy this game anyways so I'll be doing the review out of my own collection.

Unless you speak Dutch, my review won't be doing you any good though...

Thanks for the honest answer. I am from Turkey and I speak Turkish and know English but I will read your review too because there is a Google translate. :)

Probably because the games been released half finished their only hope was to release it before news of how bad it is gets out.

Hello,

I would like to purchase the game but I need to read the reviews first (there is no demo so reviews are my only option before buying the game), I looked the internet and I only found few reviews. So I am curious about this. Why there are so few reviews on the Internet? Bohemia Interactive doesn't want their game to be reviewed by the press? I knew game is just released but I think devs are sending review copies to media early. Thank you.

We're getting a demo ready for release soon. This will allow players to try before they buy. Obviously prior to release we needed to concentrate on finisheing the game, so the demo had a lower priority. There are actually quite a few reviews online, here is a quick list of some:

http://www.godisageek.com/2012/09/carrier-command-gaea-mission-review/

http://pc.mmgn.com/Reviews/carrier-command-gaea-mission-review

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/games/articles/carrier-command-gaea-mission-review

http://pc.mmgn.com/Reviews/carrier-command-gaea-mission-review

Probably because the games been released half finished their only hope was to release it before news of how bad it is gets out.

If you are only here to troll feel free to simply not post.

And while I am directing myself at you anyway I will also ask you to not duplicate threads in different forum sections! I have deleted your duplicate thread.

Besides the awkward pathfinding and a few game-crashes, this game is actually well-polished so your, rather insulting, statement doesn't make the least bit of sense.

Hey, we can agree that parts of the game aren't as polished as they could be (and nowadays, AAA games rarely are unlesss you are a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard or EA), but looking back at the development history of this, I think the team did an outstanding job to create a presentable and well-counded product that (and this is the cool part!) is extremely faithful to the original yet expands on it in many cool ways (the first "Scramblers" mission I encountered in the Strategy Game made me jump with joy).

While I found the FPS sections a little debatable (I'd be happy with a twice as polished Strategy Game & AI instead), these episodes do add to the game by advancing the storyline from a first person view, and they are actually pretty cool as a plot device to get some pace going.

Personally, I only wish games would stop trying to compete on a market that's squarely divided between MoH, CoD, and BF; and every war zone FPS will be measured against them, no matter how unfair the comparison. So unless you do something truly creative (like Spec Ops: The Line), all you do is risk poor reviews because your FPS doesn't have half the Budget of the latest CoD installment.

All in all, this has turned out a pretty decent game that is actually more fun to play than the original - and I say that even with my nostalgia glasses still firmly on my nose. With the modding capabilities we can already see and what the developers have announced, this game will survive long with a loving community. Now, the addition a simple carrier-vs-carrier, maybe multi-island, multi-player mode would be perfect.

I haven't even encountered a single crash in the full game. I did encounter a few crashes in the first two betas, but none since.

I had multiple crashes, and two freezes. This is the Steam version. So yes, there is a bit of work to be done. Save early, save often, and you rarely lose more than 10 minutes of game play, though.

My main beef is with the totally bonkers unit/enemy AI, and pathfinding. I'm sure a workable solution will be found in time. Too bad this is going to cost the game a few points in the eyes of most reviewers (and somewhat rightfully so). Unfairly so, reviewers are probably going to disrespect the FPS parts, which - while pretty basic (and some scripted events seem not very polished) - actually serve a good purpose in the quite admittedly very gripping single player campaign.

4 crashes, maybe 5 so far. Usually not a big problem as the game auto-saves often enough.

And Thygrrr is correct. I hate to do it but I'm seriously going to cut points in the gameplay score for the AI/Pathfinding issues, aswell as the long downtime sections where you are waiting for supplies etc (even though it can be circumvented somewhat with CheatEngine).

This is a beautiful game, with tonnes of love invested in, and it shows. Sure, there are compromises but those are a necessary evil.

I've never had any crash, the game plays smoothly and the only problem with performance was something that seemed as a memory leak: I had to restart the game every 2-3 hours of play due to a severe performance drop. Which is not a problem as it loads instantly (which by the way, is great!)

Once the carrier AI is fixed and the combat with the enemy ship plays out as it should, this game will be perfect.

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Great news!

And what about the carrier?

Well it arrived this morning (amazon) and it looks really nice, not sure I would want the campaign as the Strategy part is the one I would feel more at home with. Hope to play it more over the next week or two, but at present A2 mission making is filling my time.

First impressions are good, looks good, have it more or less maxed out on my 2gb 5850, so all seems o.k. so far. May have to alter settings slightly in combat, not sure. Still, well worth the price £19.99, if I can mention that..

Well it arrived this morning (amazon) and it looks really nice, not sure I would want the campaign as the Strategy part is the one I would feel more at home with.

That's what I thought, but once you get past the daft fps part, the campaign is very good. I meant to jack it in shortly after starting, but that was 3 days ago and I am still at it. :)

Yes why hasn't say IGN reviewed the game? Too busy praising silly games like FTL.

Pitty, CCGM is still rather impressive despite some fixable flaws.

Yeah, I also play FTL these days. It's fun.