Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Valve Now Selling Applications Software on Steam

Thread title is a bit strange because games are software too. Steam is just like one of those shops who makes most sales with low priced/special offers. The surface may look "cool" for somebody who isn't interested in much more than getting something for his own convenience and/or low budget. Guess Steam is just trying hard to create something like a monopol or at least lure more and more people into their "cool" world....

The surface may look "cool" for somebody who isn't interested in much more than getting something for his own convenience and/or low budget.

So you think someone who uses Steam has a low budget? Would you be interested in seeing my budget?

No, imo most people are buying at Steam just because of convenience and special offers. Its more or less about to get software for "XX percent off!!" at Steam and don't think/remember about the terms and conditions for buyers and gamedevs. Or why do you think Steam can make such offers - just for charity's sake or because they deeply love and care about games and gamers?? ;)

So you think someone who uses Steam has a low budget? Would you be interested in seeing my budget?

The only reason I've got steam is because of my low budget. All the games I bought during the last 2 years came via steam. Most of them during Christmas Sales and those Summer-Sales.

Edit: I just saw that Skyrim is (again) for sale for 30 Euros. Still thinking about buying it but I'm going to wait for it to reach 20 Euros. :)

Edited by kavoven

Just because there are people that use Steam specifically for the sales does not mean everyone else does the same.

Just because there are people that use Steam specifically for the sales does not mean everyone else does the same.

Thats not what you said in your first statement :)

Thats not what you said in your first statement :)

I never said that people who used Steam had a low budget. I asked if that's what NoRailgunner actually meant. See the question mark?

The fact is, you can get things from Steam cheaply. The reason why they do it is, paradoxically, that they get more sales and more money at the lower price, as long as the offer is very good and time limited. There's plenty of games my father bought just because they were sold for one euro, or in a very cheap bundle. Since with digital distribution, the only costs are development and maintenance, the profit margin is still very good. As far as I'm concerned, Steam is the WalMart of gaming, and it's nice to see them branching out into other areas, since that means more good deals. I only wish they had some sort of competitor, but all the imitators are too DRM oriented and too limited to be as successful as Steam.

I never said that people who used Steam had a low budget. I asked if that's what NoRailgunner actually meant. See the question mark?

Ok, than I didn't understand you correctly ;)

Yes, basically. The title is a bit misleading, and if I didn't had a look at Steam sales today (with big, fat cuts from big, fat prices those things cost), I would've had a "Well, duh." reaction upon seeing it.:)

Yes, basically. The title is a bit misleading, and if I didn't had a look at Steam sales today (with big, fat cuts from big, fat prices those things cost), I would've had a "Well, duh." reaction upon seeing it.:)

My title is not misleading at all as that is exactly what Valve calls it. "Software".

Misleading is not the word I would use. However, games are software. Since a significant portion of the conversation has already been over the meaning of the word software, you can only conclude that the title is not as clear as it could be. Therefore, I will change the title to read 'applications software'.

Misleading is not the word I would use. However, games are software. Since a significant portion of the conversation has already been over the meaning of the word software, you can only conclude that the title is not as clear as it could be. Therefore, I will change the title to read 'applications software'.

A petty and pointless change. Games are application software too, applications are everything that is not OS or middleware. The op clearly called it 'software' cause that's what valve called it on Steam.

Extremely pretentious.
A petty and pointless change. Games are application software too, applications are everything that is not OS or middleware. The op clearly called it 'software' cause that's what valve called it on Steam.

+1 warning each for public comments on forum moderation.

I changed it because there was too much conversation about what the word 'software' means. Now, after I changed it, there is still too much conversation about the title. So, now the thread is closed since obviously the actual topic we're supposed is not interesting enough to sustain a conversation.