Sign in to follow this  
Strigon

Any Idea how to Attack an Island with Deadly Defence ? + 2 Campaign Questions

Iam a bit Stuck at the Campaign. I try to capture Milestone and Genetix , but their defence is shooting down my Walruses and Mantas like flies (both Armored with MKII Armor). How do you guys capture Islands with Deadly Defence ? And my 2 additional Questions are could someone tell me were I can find the Swamp-Equippment and the Torpedos please ?

Thanks a lot ,

Strigon

Well i don't know about the others, but what i usually do is:

Equip carrier shell, launch 1 manta and press Q untill it reaches the maximum height. Now unless there is a storm going you should have a good view range of the island. Then start by doing a quick flyover to map out the island, have that manta return to repair/refuel, then i launch another manta and have it go to maximum height again.

Now i check the map, find valuable targets like Walrus garages & Manta hangars, then i shoot a shell in the general direction of my selected target with the carrier shell, right after firing i switch to my manta high up in the air to see where the shell landed, then continue doing that until you have zeroed in on my target, then fire 4-5 shells to make sure its taken out. (Enemy radar dish is usually a good target to start with, and is easy to hit.)

Then once im satisfied with my long range bombardment results, i use the following walrus equipment:

Walrus1: HEAT, ammo box, and Mk2 armor

Walrus2: Missile, Ammo box, and Mk2 armor

Walrus3: Repair gun, Ammo box and Mk2 Armor

Walrus4: Gatling gun, Hacking module and Mk1 Armor

Set these up in a convoy (2 follows 1, 3 follows 2, 4 follows 3 and control the 1st one directly) to avoid pathfinding issues and then start making your way towards the enemy command center.

I also usually set up a manta with some missiles and an ammo box to stay behind the convoy to be able to assist if things start to get intense.

I hope this helps. :)

How do you get the walruses set up to follow each other the way you describe?

I tried setting it up that way, but when I use assist its either all or none.

And as the OP said, where the hell do I find the equipment for my units to handle marshes type islands?

There are only 2 Islands that are not marshes that I have not been to, they are the same as the OP speak of with deadly defenses, and I tried everything I can think of to take them out.

My units gets shot down long before they can even get close to any form of firing range.

How do you get the walruses set up to follow each other the way you describe?

I tried setting it up that way, but when I use assist its either all or none.

Well, the way i do it is; i press 6 to select the first walrus, then i hold Ctrl+7 to "semi-select" walrus 7 then i use the radial menu and select assist, it should then only set walrus 7 to assist walrus 6. (When you do Ctrl+7, the 7th walrus icon should move upwards a bit).

And as the OP said, where the hell do I find the equipment for my units to handle marshes type islands?

I dont know if it was a fluke or designed to be this way, but i found my marshland upgrade on the last island before i encountered marsh islands.

There are only 2 Islands that are not marshes that I have not been to, they are the same as the OP speak of with deadly defenses, and I tried everything I can think of to take them out.

My units gets shot down long before they can even get close to any form of firing range.

Well, what type of defenses are you having trouble with? The worst kind of defenses i've come across are the flak and the missiles. I usually sneak up on the missile defenses, (1 manta, low and slow) and then pop up and shove a rocket down it's throat. The flak i take out with the carrier shell or my walrus team.

But i need more specific information of what it is you are having problems with, because deadly islands usually requires you to change out your loadout and tactics alot because of the powerful and wide array of weapons the enemy deploys against you.

Edit: I guess you could try to take out a nearby defense island command center (just sneak in with a tomahawk to destroy it and then leave) to reduce the defense of nearby islands, but i havent tried this myself as the only real challenge i've had in this entire game is infact "Very strong and Deadly" islands, and i enjoy them.

Edited by Exentenzed

OK I finally got the marshlands upgrade.

I got a video sequence showing that I needed to rescue another person.

This happened while I was trying to retake the original 4 islands (Vulcan, Arachnid, Treasure and Frontier)

After retaking them, I decided to go back to sanctuary, which was already under my control and try to look for the upgrade again.

I was the put in FPS mode and had to infiltrate an enemy base to rescue this person, after which I got the marshland upgrade.

As for my problem with deadly islands.

I If I as much as try to approach the island with a manta or walrus, I get shot to pieces in a matter of seconds by the island defenses.

I'm talking any defenses, turrets, mantas or walruses, I can barely get close enough to shoot back before I'm dead.

But now that I got marshland upgrades I should be able to take some of the other islands and reduce the defense value of those deadly islands

For the really difficult (like 'deadly') islands I've been using the same shelling tactics as Exentenzed describes above. Shell cannon from carrier and a Manta high up to spot where the shells hit. Very rewarding to take out stuff from a distance. Stuff I focus on taking out this way is Air-to-air turrets, walrus garages, manta silos.

Once those deadly Air-to-air turrets are dealt with I often use rocket-equipped mantas to take out stuff too.

When most of the heat is gone I send in the walruses in one big pack often straight to the Command Center and support manually from the air with a Manta.

Getting rid of Walrus Garages and Manta silos I think is particularly important. They tend to spew out units on those deadly islands. (On the easier islands I often leave them alone so the island get its defenses up quickly once taken over.)

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

I If I as much as try to approach the island with a manta or walrus, I get shot to pieces in a matter of seconds by the island defenses.

I'm talking any defenses, turrets, mantas or walruses, I can barely get close enough to shoot back before I'm dead.

What kind of armor do you have on Mantas and Walruses? Even with Mark 2 armor those nastier cannons can kill you in a couple of shots. With lower or none armor its worse... I either take them out with the carrier shell gun or by precision flying with a rocket or missile or plasma equipped manta and Mark2 armor. Often just taking out one of these turrets with a manta leaves me limping back to the carrier with 10% health left. Yes, they are difficult if you ask me.

If you don't already, make sure you interact with the Research Center on all islands you capture after the Command Center been captured. They give you upgrades (new blueprints). Headquarter (another building than the Command Center) and refinery usually gives you 'stuff' (one thing only per building).

Edited by Scepticer
improvement, spelling

I use Mk II armor on all unites except the walrus that carries the hacking module.

Since I cant use modules with M KII armor I use MK I armor on that.

I always interact with the research centers, to get new blueprints.

I may have forgotten some headquarters and factories/refineries though, but research center I always visit.

Now that I have the Marshes upgrade though I hope I can reduce the Deadly defense to very strong or strong by taking out islands around them first.

Should make it a little easier to take them out.

Well i dunno how you people drive or fly. But as an experienced warpilot i use attack helicopter tactics :) Hide behind a hill...pop up once to find target or zero in with a scout (Like the high flying manta) Pick targets pop up JUST above the hillcrest and fire away. The main reason i love this game is that it really encourages skill instead of the usual HErpderP Run-Gun BS that other games use :D

Well i dunno how you people drive or fly. But as an experienced warpilot i use attack helicopter tactics :) Hide behind a hill...pop up once to find target or zero in with a scout (Like the high flying manta) Pick targets pop up JUST above the hillcrest and fire away. The main reason i love this game is that it really encourages skill instead of the usual HErpderP Run-Gun BS that other games use :D

I often do the same thing, I will use the terrain to hide my manta and slowly take out the defenses one by one. The thing that I think is really cool about the AI is that I've noticed them also using the terrain and buildings for cover. I was in a battle with another manta and once he was heavily damaged, he used the hill for cover then popped up and started shooting and then hid behind the hill again.

I got it now in the long way. I took the enemy command Center down by a Tomahawk , cleared a path between my carrier and the command center (Garages and hangars + main defence) Then I transported a Walrus with a Defence Capsule by a Manta to the Command Center and start the rebuild process.

Four letters:

H.E.A.T ... and good visiblity. You can easily take out Hangars, Garages and Radar installations, as well as turrets and enemy ground units, from a safe distance with the high explosive anti tank weapon.

You should bring one or two walruses with Quad Guns because while with some practice, you can reliably down Mantas with the H.E.A.T as well, you will want to conserve your ammo and you may have more important targets at hand (or simply be swarmed by Mantas).

Four letters:

H.E.A.T ... and good visiblity. You can easily take out Hangars, Garages and Radar installations, as well as turrets and enemy ground units, from a safe distance with the high explosive anti tank weapon.

You should bring one or two walruses with Quad Guns because while with some practice, you can reliably down Mantas with the H.E.A.T as well, you will want to conserve your ammo and you may have more important targets at hand (or simply be swarmed by Mantas).

You prefer quads over missiles on your "AA" walruses? Not judging or anything, just curious if i've missed something.

I actually don't have missiles in my campaign, and in my strategy game (low resources), I use lasers and a quad gun because I have no resources for missiles either.

I actually don't have missiles in my campaign, and in my strategy game (low resources), I use lasers and a quad gun because I have no resources for missiles either.

How are your Islands set up?

If you are low on resources, maybe you should convert a couple of your islands to resource and get some more resources.

Its not easy, but I have managed to find just the right balance and have managed to produce at least 1 of every weapon and equipment, for mantas and walruses.

With the walrus trying to hump everything in sight its not easy, personally I'm leaving campaign