Sign in to follow this  
#momo#

Saving relative Size / Working in a team on the same pew-file

A friend of mine has offered me some help in my island project, namely by building some villages or forests for me. While I appreciate the offer, I am wondering how this will work. He can work on my wrp and then export his work for me to import, but then all scale is lost and there may be trees growing inside a house etc. Also, he can not touch the elevation grid in order to make room for houses.

So the questions are:

- Is there a way so save the relative size of objects?

- How do you propose to work on the same pew-file as a team? Any tips or experiences? Or does team work only make sence if one guy places objects and the other guy draws the sat map?

A friend of mine has offered me some help in my island project, namely by building some villages or forests for me. While I appreciate the offer, I am wondering how this will work. He can work on my wrp and then export his work for me to import, but then all scale is lost and there may be trees growing inside a house etc. Also, he can not touch the elevation grid in order to make room for houses.

So the questions are:

- Is there a way so save the relative size of objects?

- How do you propose to work on the same pew-file as a team? Any tips or experiences? Or does team work only make sence if one guy places objects and the other guy draws the sat map?

I would just send him the files the way they are. Show him which area is his to work on. Make sure he doesn't touch the height map. Once he is done with his area he sends you the .pew back, probably with a different name, and then you open that one and the one you have been working on. Copy everything he did from his pew. Switch over to your pew and go up to edit>paste absolute. That should take care of it.

He could just explain to you that "the house at x,y,z or the house in the center of town x needs the height map under it adjusted a bit" or you can spot check it once the project is done.

lol true I completly ignored "paste absolute", guess I should have thinked more before asking. Thanks for the tip!

Well, I assign landlots to creators and paint them with color (satmap) so they know where they can work on. Of course, land flattened. They send me their pew and I just copy/paste(absolute) over to the final project.

he should also be able to send you (or you create from his revised pew) an export of objects, which, you simply import into yours.

Visitor's inbuilt import script cannot handle relative heights eg adjustements made for terrain heights, nor can it handle any buildings he's ADDED. eg one's you dont current have as templates

if you use depew.exe -EX nameofHisPew some.txt

followed by

depew.exe -I some.txt Your.pew

the exe will automatically add templates for those buildings, AND account for terrain heights

there are other options with depew that can export import templates only.

erm

@Jakerod: I have tried opening different pews of my own and then I have copied some objects from one to paste them in the other pew... it just doesn't work... whether it might be paste absolute or relative... am I missing something?

@Mikero: That's really interesting... but importing templates would involve road networks present in certain pew file?

I friend of mine send me a huge road network and I think I'm gonna have to import / export net in a slow rather painful process... is there some other method that you might know or suggest to us?

Cheers comrades !!!! hahaha

erm

@Jakerod: I have tried opening different pews of my own and then I have copied some objects from one to paste them in the other pew... it just doesn't work... whether it might be paste absolute or relative... am I missing something?

@Mikero: That's really interesting... but importing templates would involve road networks present in certain pew file?

I friend of mine send me a huge road network and I think I'm gonna have to import / export net in a slow rather painful process... is there some other method that you might know or suggest to us?

Cheers comrades !!!! hahaha

That's weird that paste absolute doesn't work for you. I did it on Kolgujev because something went wrong with the file (multiple places where sat map wouldn't show up and we couldn't figure out why) and it worked perfectly. Exported the terrain, imported it into a new file. Copied over the object template and just pasted everything. When you say doesn't work, what happens?

With the road network thing, you just have to define the roads the same way and you should be able to copy and paste those too I think. So just define the roads with the same names and then paste them over. That's how I do it.

o.O

It seems that I misunderstood something...

If I create a new pew file, import corresponding template and then import stuff from a previous pew file it's ok... that works, but it doesn't export custom size... or am I wrong?

Also I have had two pew files opened at the same time and copied some objects directly from one to paste them into another and that didn't work... that's what I thought you were saying...

regarding proper export of a road network ... I have to define it exactly as source pew file, then you mean I can copy&paste it? because I understand that I have to select each piece of road... then export net... then import net in target pew file and finally set the same coords for fisrt piece of that track... is it ok? or there is a fast way to do that?

Saludillos pillos!!!

Edited by Robster

o.O

It seems that I misunderstood something...

If I create a new pew file, import corresponding template and then import stuff from a previous pew file it's ok... that works, but it doesn't export custom size... or am I wrong?

Also I have had two pew files opened at the same time and copied some objects directly from one to paste them into another and that didn't work... that's what I thought you were saying...

regarding proper export of a road network ... I have to define it exactly as source pew file, then you mean I can copy&paste it? because I understand that I have to select each piece of road... then export net... then import net in target pew file and finally set the same coords for fisrt piece of that track... is it ok? or there is a fast way to do that?

Saludillos pillos!!!

Copy and pasting or copying and pasting absolute keeps size and I believe angle and all the other fun stuff. Importing objects does not keep angle. You can copy and paste from a different pew and it should work provided that every object you paste is defined the same way (ex. Name is the same in the objects panel) in both pews. You can select a road, export it, and then import it. That works but in my experience since you have to define roads anyway you might as well copy and paste absolute or copy and paste and move it to the new location. Otherwise you have to do each road one by one if I am not mistaken.

To summarize:

I use copy and paste when I can because I find it to be better than import and export. The only time I use import is when I am dealing with world tools.

Certainly copy&paste is better, cleaner and faster... but how do you manage that process... for instance, when working with some other guy, he sends his work to you and then what... you have two pew files opened at the same time? one pew belongs to your mate and the other pew file is the main whole thing? Because I can't do that... I can't copy&paste directly... ???

2cpccp2.jpg

EDIT: I also opened a pew file and I copied some stuff... then I closed that pew -not visitor- and then I opened another project with the same template.... but pasting did nothing :(

Edited by Robster

What happens when you copy and then try to paste? Does nothing happen? Does it give you an error?

No need to run multiple instances of Visitor (which could conceivably cause problems), or to "load one terrain > copy > close the terrain > open another terrain > paste", though I have done the latter without issues...

A single instance of Visitor can load several terrains at once....

multivis.jpg

Once you have both terrains loaded - Jakerod is absolutely correct on all counts - as long as all templates, road defs, etc are to-the-letter perfectly identical, you should be able to use the menu items Edit>copy and Edit>Paste Absolute to move object compositions from one project to another without problems...

B

I just tried it with an older version of the same island: Opend visitor one time, opend 2 pew's in it, copied some rocks from the old version, switched to the new and added "edit->paste absolute" and it worked. Not only was the relative size and angle saved, but the rocks also were placed on the very exact position where they had to be.

hahahaha

I am such a newbie... hahahaha

Now I know how to use the windows menu in visitor !!!! hahahaha

You can open two pew files with just one visitor opened hahahah

lol