Sign in to follow this  
kraxous

(Mod) Modification Crew - Interested?

Seems a little early on due to the game only releasing last Friday but I think maybe getting some names written down for a small team of modders wont hurt right? :p

As eager as I am, I have no idea how to modify games. Although I am very, very interested in learning as I heard from one of the Bohemia Interactive staff say that anyone that is actually interested about being hired by a company, is to try and do a mod for a game:

The best way to go about being hired by a games company is by creating mods. It is the best way to portray to potential employers that you are capable of creating game content, and also that you are focused enough to push through the arduous development process. So this would be my one recommendation.

Now you would not believe how much I want to be a games designer for a company - so this sent alarm bells ringing. I would like to gather a team together that knows how to create modifications for games. When the time is right and the modding device is released, (or whatever you wish to call it :D), then we can get to work on creating mods. Also, if it isn't a problem with an expert at modding, to teach me on how modding works and how to do it. We could start with something small like an idea I have which doesn't seem too complex: It's a weapon that is used by the Manta. You drop the payload within a certain range of the enemy and small spider drones of a quantity of around three or four disperse into different directions. They crawl into a Walrus and detonate, either EMP'ing the vehicle or destroying it depending on health capacity.

It's quite a simple idea for a weapon so it shouldn't be difficult to make. So I know I'm a noob at modding stuff but I'm eager to learn so if anyone is interested in being apart of a team, write your names in a reply below. Also, if no one can actually teach me or generally can't be bothered, (I don't blame you ;)), then I can design mod ideas and a website. I can do things like forums and websites :).

Peace!

- Joe.

Dram also said that they will be releasing tools to make mission/world building easy. I wonder just how easy it will be in Carrier Command. Will we have the ability to just "paint" the terrain or will it be more complex? He's also mentioned that the tools they'll be releasing are the same ones they used to make the game.

I just wanted to add something a bit off-topic: I have seen that most companies will hire you based on your previous experience rather than education. (With the exception of certain careers such as lawyer, doctor, etc.) I have personally found that experience and your capabilities are more important than book knowledge. You would be surprised by how many current employees of Bohemia Interactive were once very active community members who proved their capabilities and got offered a job.

Edited by Nicholas

I probalby won't join a modding "crew", but I am working on a toolkit (I'll probably release the first tool tonight, I am very close to figuring out the last couple of details). It will be very crude and only for people to take a peek at what's "inside" the game, and to hopefully enable them to do actual modding by editing the game's content.

On the other topic: The best way to get hired by a games company is to apply for a job at a games company. (trust me, I work in the industry)

The best way to improve your chances is to have actual skill at game development; and to get that, modding is a good start (possibly not the best these days, but a very good one).

Right, cheers guys :3.

Will have to bear that in mind :).

Dram also said that they will be releasing tools to make mission/world building easy. I wonder just how easy it will be in Carrier Command. Will we have the ability to just "paint" the terrain or will it be more complex? He's also mentioned that the tools they'll be releasing are the same ones they used to make the game.

Yes, terrain is essentially "painted". This applies to foliage as well, but I'll leave the details for tool release. If we have time, a short introductory video to the tools may be in order as well, though we'll see how that goes.

Cheers Dram! Will mean a lot. In the meantime, I've currently stopped playing CC:GM to try and work on modding. Going to try and work with JMonkey Game Engine to get a feel to using Java and sorts.

...get a feel to using Java and sorts.

Good luck, just keep in mind that our scripting code is closer to C++ than Java. :)

So I best try both then. I'll try working C++ at around 70% and Java 30% to try and balance it out.

I suggest you focus on one language first. Usually, if you know one language well, the others are easier to learn. The whole process takes years, though, not days.

Java is pretty okay to learn, but C# is probably a little better even.

C++ is actually pretty hard to learn, especially for beginners.

Ideally, you choose a language that has some middleware attached to it, so you can easily start moving stuff across the screen instead of worrying how to even set up a graphics context, etc. So I suggest: Unity3D (choice of Javascript, C#, or Lua), GameMaker:Studio (proprietary language, but great to learn 2D games), CryEngine Free (massively powerful, good beginner tutorials available AFAIK).

As a rule of thumb, it's probably better to learn in a language that you actually want to achieve something in - i.e. if you want to mod carrier command, learn its scripting language. (that's difficult because there are no books on it). But if you learn a C-Style language like C/C++, C# or Java, you should be able to *read* the scripts and hopefully understand them.

I would also advise learning C++ first, and without splitting between other languages.

There are arguments about how C++ adds some extra complexity, certainly in terms of memory management, but if you don't learn memory management now you won't necessarily take it into account when you're writing in a language that requires it.

That said, I don't even know if the scripting language used in CC:GM has memory management.

There are a host of tutorials about where to start with C++. I would actually recommend *against* learning to walk before you can crawl - while recommendations about learning certain stuff with middleware attached is important, for your first couple of days I would say focus very strongly on building something from scratch. Start with Hello World and move through to object-oriented programming, templates, smart pointers and the like. Then you'll be able to embark upon the game engines people have talked about.

As a C++ programmer myself, I'd say that there's not that much you need to know to be able to product software, or therefore mod. Producing *quality* software or scripts is going to be the tough bit, but you learn that over time. While the tone of this post hasn't been perhaps super positive, I genuinely think that if you have the inclination then there's nothing stopping you - and it's not as hard as most people claim.