Sign in to follow this  
GakunGak

Arma 2 & OA mods limit

Hello. I am not sure if this is the right section, but I've been adding mods through six updater

and I added a lot of them, not the complete list but will do it eventually. But when I start the game

by shortcut [six Updater create shortcut on desktop .bat file], I receive message that Arma2 OA cannot

create Direct3d 9 or something. I am at work so I can't remember but it is appoximate.

My question is, can Arma 2 hold a lot of mods or just under, say, 20?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and 4GB ram, Q6600 3.2GHz CPU and gpu is, GTS250 1GB if I remember right.

First, have you been able to run ArmA fine without mods?

Second, try downloading and installing DirectX 9.

Third, I believe ArmA can have an unlimited amount of mods, but I'm not quite sure.

Yep, clean and I had some mods, like COWAR mod, ACE, then after that ACE2, lokilostkey, mcc sandbox, bbmercs, acr weapons attachment mod, some units, vehicles and that's about it.

I havent tried to launch from Arma2 launcher from armaholic, will do tonight. Since I started using Six Updater, I had run just fine with some mods, but when I started adding a bunch of them, this problem arised. OK will reinstall directx 9 although I already have it. Many thnx!

I had some mods, like COWAR mod, ACE, then after that ACE2, lokilostkey, mcc sandbox, bbmercs, acr weapons attachment mod, some units, vehicles and that's about it.

GakunGak please pay attention to what your doing with mods, especially with COWarMod which i built, that mod has 230 addon and mods in it already!

If your running it with Ace your going to have issues, so you need the compatible version for that called COWarModACE.

Dont just start throwing a bunch of addons and mods together and expect things to run normal like you would expect if your were just playing with the vanilla game.

All i'm saying is read about, and know what your installing and trying to run together, as there are very likely possibilities for things to not work as they should,

know what the mod your using does, any questions about my mods please use the appropriate threads.

when I started adding a bunch of them, this problem arised.

Please post your RPT so we can see what files your working with, and what possible errors, or issues the game may be giving you.

GakunGak please pay attention to what your doing with mods, especially with COWarMod which i built, that mod has 230 addon and mods in it already!

If your running it with Ace your going to have issues, so you need the compatible version for that called COWarModACE.

Dont just start throwing a bunch of addons and mods together and expect things to run normal like you would expect if your were just playing with the vanilla game.

All i'm saying is read about, and know what your installing and trying to run together, as there are very likely possibilities for things to not work as they should,

know what the mod your using does, any questions about my mods please use the appropriate threads.

Please post your RPT so we can see what files your working with, and what possible errors, or issues the game may be giving you.

Got it. I think I will just keep units, vehicles, maps and cowarmod.

So, how do I post RPT?

I am still at work so, 6 hours till I do it...

For the RPT:

The arma2OA.rpt, are located in your -profiles root directory, or if used without this parameter then it can be found in these default locations:

WINDOWS XP: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2 OA

WINDOWS VISTA / 7: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA

to post it open it up highlight everything and then in reply, use the advanced part of when you reply (botom right), and then paste what you copied,

once you pasted it, then highlight it again and then hit the # button on the post tools, doing this will put the rpt in a scrollable window.

or send it to me via e-mail, and i'll post it for you so other can see it too.

I cannot post it, it always gives me time out error.

I compressed it [file is 2MB, so I compressed it down to 47KB], here it is

https://anonfiles.com/file/ac17f49bbbca482ad148e8c626014510

It is completely safe, only RPT file is in there

That error I was writing about is at the end

ErrorMessage: Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine

a) use -mod for beta params or put it at the very end

b) no ; at the end of the modline

c) ACE should be at the very end of the modline - only beta after it

Good advice. Care to provide an example of your target line?

Edited by domokun

So how/where do I do that?

Edit: if you mean for the shortcut, it will not be enough as there are a lot of content so I'd eventually run out of space to write them all, that's why I use external launchers... and that .bat shortcut...

In most launcher tools you can define the order of the items in the modline.

And you can modify .bat files with any text editor. :)

Examples of mine:

-nosplash -skipintro -noPatchCheck -world=empty -profiles=C:\ArmaProfiles -window -cfg=basicRetC.cfg -noFilePatching -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 "-name=kju getSkillD.de" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=ACR;dummy

or

-nosplash -skipintro -noPatchCheck -world=empty -profiles=C:\ArmaProfiles -window -cfg=basicRetC.cfg -noFilePatching -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 "-name=kju getSkillD.de" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=ACR;a2f;y\a2fbase;Expansion;y\@ACE;y\@ACEX;y\@ACEX_PLA;y\@ACEX_RU;y\@ACEX_SM;y\@ACEX_USNAVY;y\@CBA;y\dev

All right, got it!

Say, can I group mods into one, like @mod1, @mod2, @mod3 all into @modpack? where pbo's would be under one addons folder?

You still need to specify every folder which has folder\addons.

You cannot do -mod=y to load all ACE, etc from my second example above.

I was thinking like "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Arma2OA.exe" @ACE;@ACEX;@BigMod1;@BigMod2;@someothermod for example?

Big mod to look like \BigMod1\addons\mod1.pbo mod2.pbo, mod3.pbo mod4.pbo etc.... Like COWARMOD has separate mods into one folder?

Ok I am home. I used Arma2 Launcher and it launched the game no problem.

So I figure, the .bat file has 255 character limit so that's why it caused all this.

Oh, and number of mods I was able to run with no problems is 185 :) So, I guess it can go more than that.

Launcher I use is from http://www.kegetys.fi/, download link http://junk.kegetys.fi/ArmA2Launcher101.zip

Thanks guys for all the help and patience with me :)

Like COWARMOD has separate mods into one folder?

Yes, CoWarMod is a basic mod setup with @COWarMod, and then in that folder addons, and in that pbo's and bisign files for 200+ addons and mods,

but all those addons and mods are roughly the same type, they are all gameplay related, AI, fixes, effects, ect,. except for like a couple of files that add some content.

In general if you were to use the same concept you would need to make sure you have files that wont conflict,

I cant see addons for units and vehicles and such not conflicting but it can happen. It should work as I do it myself, for example I made a small mod

which has all of my favorite fighter jets and choppers in it, then i have another mod for islands, I suggest keeping the same type of addons together.

Gameplay mods like CoWarMod you will need to test each addon/mod before you start running together with a ton of other mods, or you will have

conflicts, so review your RPT and any errors you might get before you move on and think your mod setup is all good.

I always put my mod pbo’s into itemised folders i.e. @ai_enhancements etc.

Testing is the only way to see if things conflict, and they do occasionally as @gunter said, however mixing and matching mods is all part of the fun.

Beware, I have read on here that some mods can break the campaign missions, I have never played any of the bis campaigns throughout the series, so don't have any experience with them breaking, I spend most of my time in the editor, but worth watching out for that..:)

Yeah, I think you guys are telling me the right thing. So if there's a conflict, I can disable them all and enable one by one until there's a troublemaker :)

At the time of this posting, everything works. From desktop to game menu almost 2 minutes [hdd is roaring like crazy] but there it is, all of them :)

I always put my mod pbo’s into itemised folders i.e. @ai_enhancements etc.

Testing is the only way to see if things conflict, and they do occasionally as @gunter said, however mixing and matching mods is all part of the fun.

Same here. If I would use a seperate mod folder for each addon I would totally loose any kind of overview. I've got an "@USMC" folder a "@sound" folder, "@Desertmaps", etc.